Linked Guide  • Margies Peak - Skull 2493, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2015-01-01

# of days 1

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

4th Annual New Year's Day Peak Celebration

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 11 2014 4:30 pm

Event Date and Time: January 1st, 2015 9:00 A.M. Location: Margies Peak, Maricopa Mountains, AZ
Hard to believe that the Holidays are almost upon us already! Even harder to believe that this will be the 4th Year for this Event! :y: When I started doing these, I promised that I would cover Peaks in all Four Directions from Town so the same people wouldn't have to drive a long way every time...And I always pick something slightly "out of town" to avoid the Holiday Crowds! The 1st Year was SE, the 2nd was NW, and the Third was NE, so this Year I had to find something in the SW...Not easy for me since I'm unfamiliar with that Area! :sweat: I enlisted the help of a good Friend and one of HAZ's Experts for that Area (desertboonie) and he came up with one right away that seemed promising, so we went and checked it out last Weekend. Not only was it promising, it was Perfect... :D Short Mileage, but with Elevation that will get the Blood Pumping and the Peak will offer some Stellar Views of the Maricopas, the Gilas and the Buckeye Hills. There is NO TRAIL...This will be all Off-Trail Hiking like last Year...I drove my Front Wheel Drive SUV and had no Trouble with the Road, or even Parking in the Wash that will be our Start. And if we feel like a Barbecue afterwards, we can either Party right in the Wash or drive a couple of miles further to the Margies Cove TH where there is a Camping Area and a few Picnic Tables.... :) I did start a Page for this Peak since there will be some Triplogs done for it and the Driving Directions for the "TH" are there. http://hikearizona.com/decoder=19589 Hopefully, someone this Year will run a GPS Track and we can turn this into a Full Description. Although a few HAZers have done this one, it hasn't been many, which was another Reason I chose it... :D If you would like to see Photos of the Area, including Margies Peak, you can view this Photoset that I did from last Weekend. http://hikearizona.com/photoset=32772

If you've already participated in past New Year's Day Hikes, I would love it if you would join us again...If you haven't, you should think about it this time around, it's a lot of fun. And I do try to pick Peaks that most can do, so everyone is welcome and appreciated! :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

BobP

Re: 4th Annual New Year's Day Peak Celebration

Post by BobP » Nov 11 2014 7:42 pm

Haven't missed one yet :y:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 11 2014 7:54 pm

BobP wrote:Haven't missed one yet
Me and you (Mr. Rocketfeet)...The only two to have been to all...I Bring it and you Pour it! :y:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 11 2014 8:51 pm

Well if you are coming out to my 'hood I guess I should be sociable and join you. Will see if I can corral the other southwest valley HAZ'ers into joining us.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

JuanJaimeiii
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Nov 13 2014 7:20 am

I'm in! Thanks a bunch Pam for keeping the tradition going. I missed one but 3 out of 4 ain't bad as they say. :D

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 13 2014 7:34 am

And year five will be in the middle of Phoenix ... Camelback! :whistle:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 13 2014 10:07 am

kingsnake wrote:And year five will be in the middle of Phoenix ... Camelback! :whistle:

No.. The 'Slope! We can hang out at the park on 7th Avenue after climbing North Mountain.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 13 2014 11:24 am

kingsnake wrote:And year five will be in the middle of Phoenix ... Camelback!
You'll have to take it over then...Because if I'm doing it, Hell will have to Freeze Over first.... :sweat:

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 13 2014 11:26 am

JuanJaimeiii wrote:I missed one but 3 out of 4 ain't bad as they say.
It's always nice when New Year's falls on your Day Off! :y:

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 13 2014 12:07 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:kingsnake wrote:
And year five will be in the middle of Phoenix ... Camelback!

You'll have to take it over then...Because if I'm doing it, Hell will have to Freeze Over first....
Mummy would work as an alternate.
Highway to hell

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Nov 13 2014 3:13 pm

I remember looking at Maggies on maps years ago when I started hiking and even driving out to the west side of it to see how the roads were. I never got around to hiking there, though. Color me interested.

Charger55
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Charger55 » Nov 15 2014 10:59 am

I'm interested, but may be too slow of a hiker for this group. I also don't have a high clearance vehicle. I'm a maybe...
"I've driven across deserts, driven by the irony, that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free"
- Frank Turner "The Road"

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Nov 15 2014 12:05 pm

Charger55 wrote: may be too slow of a hiker for this group
any pace welcome on this event
don't let that keep you from it

Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » Nov 15 2014 4:35 pm

@Charger55
If I manage to make it, I'll be in back of the pack with you :lol:

@Outdoor Lover
Two questions - #1 Any problem with my wife tagging along #2 Is there anything I can do to help? Food, drink ;) and/or support?
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 16 2014 4:40 pm

Charger55 wrote:I'm interested, but may be too slow of a hiker for this group. I also don't have a high clearance vehicle. I'm a maybe...
Ha! You haven't hiked with me yet...There's a Reason that I keep a lot of the Goodies in my Pack! :D All are welcome on this one as long as you are physically fit enough to do it...I think you would be just fine.... :) And as it gets closer, there will be some Carpooling going, so just ask...Or if you want to drive separately, someone can take you in on the Dirt part from the Highway....
Bradshaws wrote:Two questions - #1 Any problem with my wife tagging along #2 Is there anything I can do to help? Food, drink and/or support?
No problem with bringing anyone...I just need to know the Numbers as I do a little extra Prep for this Hike...And anymore, I've decided it's ok to accept help carrying some "Stuff" to the Top, so I'll dole out a few things to those that offer...Anything for me to gain .001 MPH more... :sweat:

Barrett

Post by Barrett » Nov 22 2014 3:51 pm

@Charger55
Charger55 wrote:I also don't have a high clearance vehicle.
Don't let that stop you. I'm sure I'll have room in the bed of my Tacoma where the pavement ends. :D
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 02 2014 8:16 am

Have fun!

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Dec 21 2014 3:19 pm

:y: Me and Mrs_Bradshaws are in.

I'm thinking of taking a ride out there to see if I can get my car to the TH : rambo :
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 22 2014 9:35 pm

And Larry is in! :y: Those of you familiar with this Event know that I do some extra "Prep" for this Hike...And it is much easier to plan for a lot of "Committed" vs a lot of "Interested"....I would love to have the Interested List down to just a few within a couple of days of the Event, if that's at all possible...Would love for you all to join us in the Committed Column... :D I'll do another "Bump" Reminder right after Xmas, as I know everyone is pretty busy and occupied right now... :)

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 23 2014 8:27 am

Could I get a ride in?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Hiking Events”