Start Date 2014-12-20

# of days 1

JuanJaimeiii
Tacopelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Flatiron Blue Arrow Removal Project

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Nov 26 2014 11:03 pm

Flatiron Blue Paint Removal Project
Well if you haven't seen the Blue Arrows Leading up to the Flatiron in person you may certainly have seen photos of them. Last year someone put up Orange ones and we assembled a team to remove them. This year they are back and this time they are Blue. This is a Wilderness area and the arrows are unnecessary.

Last year we used a product called "Citristrip" to assist in the removal. It is a bio degradable non toxic stripper and seemed to work quite well. We found that this product in a spray can, along with a good scrub brush and some shop towels to mop up the mess did the trick. In roughly 3-4 hours last year our group of 10 was able to eliminate all 20 of the Orange Arrows. This year the task should be about the same.

I am hoping to put together a group of volunteers to get the job done.

The plan if weather permits is for Saturday the 20th of December starting at 8am. We will need 7 of stripper as we found one can works for about 3 arrows. I will supply all of the Citristrip.

What to bring? Bring a pair of rubber gloves like you would use to wash dishes by hand. Some old shop towels to mop up the paint and a good scrub brush. Lastly bring a plastic bag to haul out the mess. Again, I will purchase the Citristrip. If you want to chip in on that I ask that you donate to HAZ instead. The Citristrip is 9.00 a bottle and without HAZ I wouldn't be able to post this event. Lastly bring some water to help in washing the debris away once it has been scrubbed.

Let's meet at the Quick Trip on the corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. From the 60 it is straight north on Idaho a few miles at the south-east corner of Idaho and Old West Highway. Meet at 8am sharp. We will leave there by 8:20 and go get this project started. We will park and hike in from Mining Camp Restaurant.

JuanJaimeiii
Tacopelli

Re: Flatiron Blue Arrow Removal Project

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 10 2014 6:22 pm

Rick Vincent wrote:I call them ignorant do-good vandals.
I think you nailed it.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 15 2014 8:20 pm

I was looking forward to doing this but I think that my be a little to much for my ankle right now.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

rayhuston
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rayhuston » Dec 16 2014 6:35 am

@Widowmaker
Good call, Larry. Take care of that ankle first.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 16 2014 8:20 am

@rayhuston
Their making me a custom ankle brace which will take about three weeks for me to get. I wish I could get it sooner.
Last edited by RowdyandMe on Dec 18 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Bradshaws » Dec 17 2014 3:53 pm

Once again, I'm offering a ride to the east side for the 2nd annual arrow removal party ;) ... But once again, it looks like I'm the only one going that doesn't live there already :lol:

There is one hitch in getting a ride from me. This time, regardless of what time I get off that mountain, I'm hitting The Arizona Wilderness Brewery afterwards for a beer ( or three 8-[ ) this will be my first visit but you're more than welcome to tag along.

I'll be leaving around 6:30-6:45am from around Union Hills & I17

PM me if you would like a ride. I have room for 3.

disclaimer - I'm a mechanic.... Soooo.... my car may look rough but it can drive to the moon and back ;)
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

RickVincent
Augerpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by RickVincent » Dec 18 2014 7:47 am

My time for this project will be cut short, but I'm coming out anyway to support the cause. Even if to just clean one arrow.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

JuanJaimeiii
Tacopelli

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 18 2014 8:33 am

Rick Vincent wrote:My time for this project will be cut short, but I'm coming out anyway to support the cause. Even if to just clean one arrow.
Really appreciate any and all help.

rayhuston
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rayhuston » Dec 18 2014 9:50 am

JuanJaimeiii wrote:What to bring?.....Lastly bring some water to help in washing the debris away once it has been scrubbed.
I picked up some 25oz spray bottles from Lowes to aid in washing away the debris. I will fill them with water and bring them with me.

Franco45
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,AZ.

Post by Franco45 » Dec 18 2014 9:30 pm

Sorry guys, I couldn't get off work. :sorrry:

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 19 2014 3:18 pm

@skillpore
Ride with Zak :scared:
Rowdy and Widowmaker

JuanJaimeiii
Tacopelli

Post by JuanJaimeiii » Dec 19 2014 10:50 pm

See everyone in the morning.

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 19 2014 10:51 pm

Sorry I can't make it tomorrow, but way to go JJ and crew for tackling that!! :thanx: :M2C:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 20 2014 4:26 am

If I can get them out there in time I will send in the 3G's, Gavin (16), Gunnar (14) and Gage (11) to haul water out to you.

They are my three grandsons with hiking experience and will meet you at Mining Camp or just catch up with you.

The 11 year old is an honorary Green Bay Packers quarterback and can out hike his older brothers. ;)

Update as of 8:30 - I can make it but the boys mother went shopping this early AM and dad and the boys would not answer the phone. However we are going to hike east of Tortilla Flat which was our original plan even though we will miss supporting the arrow project.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Dec 21 2014 7:49 am

Pack that one away in the archives, in spite of the cold start and some snide remarks from "lost" hikers, it was still a fun day in the Supes with congratulatory handshakes from the many who still respect the Wilderness. :y:
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Dec 23 2014 8:01 pm

Yay! Even though this is a hike I will likely never go on, I am proud to be a member of a hiking community that would carry out such a project.
2 times, none-the-less. :y:
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

neilends
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Dec 26 2014 10:50 am

You guys are really awesome for doing this. Thank you to each and every one who showed up for no matter how long or short a time.

There was a good story on one of the network news shows last night, I forget which one, about the possibly generational cultural shift that is creating these conflicts. A spokeswoman for the US Forest Service was interviewed, as were a couple who insisted that the proper use of the American outdoors was to hitch up huge swinging ropes, get adrenaline highs from flying through the air while screaming at the top of their lungs, and posting all this on Youtube for their thousands if not millions of fans. Some observers point out that the entire way younger generations view the American outdoors is radically changing. It's no longer a place to soak in the land. Rather, it's amazing scenery in which to indulge in high-adrenaline sports.

That's a theory, anyway. I don't know if it's true. I know many teenagers and 20somethings who do a lot more for conserving the wilderness than I do.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

Return to “Hiking Events”