Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2014-12-05

# of days 1

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Rug Road 'West' drive/hike 12/5

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 30 2014 2:41 pm

After my first full run-through of Rug Road it boosted a new area to the top of my to-do list. Already I have more plans than I can shake-a-stick-at so I figure I better get started...

Perts: (Think Maxwell, the GEICO pig...)
Friday, December 5
5:00 am: Leave East Mesa/Apache Junction heading toward Mammoth
6:30 am: Leave AZ#77 from Mammoth on Rug Road

Agenda:
One thing for sure... drive out about 15 miles on Rug Road to the high point. (Total round-trip drive will be between 30 and 36 miles)
From there it may be one hike to the summit of Little Table Mountain, an exploratory hike toward Table Mountain and/or a loop of Saddle & Negro Henry Canyons, keeping in mind the goal this trip is to gather information for future hikes in the vicinity.
Almost for sure... On the return drive to Mammoth take a short (<1 mile) hike to Boulder Mountain summit.

I have room for:
One rider comfortably in a racing bucket seat
One one rider a bit less comfortably "buckboard-style", as in sitting on a flat board with a thick moving blanket for cushioning (such as it is).
<OR>
If you have a very capable vehicle feel free to join BYOV (Bring-your-own-vehicle)
If you are driving from another direction, the meeting point will be the Circle-K in Mammoth at 6:30 am.

Very capable vehicle = obviously 4x4, some type of locking rear diff, some lift (more is better) and 33-35" tires.
As of earlier this week, there are only a few bare rock "steps" at the bottom of Carpet Hill that make lift and locker highly recommended, otherwise it's just very rough and slow going... think 15 miles at a 7 mph average.
With 33" tires my Cherokee didn't even have any close calls on this part of Rug Road, but then it has a 5.5" lift.

BTW, I'll probably be doing a follow-up trip next week (tentatively 12/10) using the info gained on this trip, so if you miss this one you'll have another chance.
CannondaleKid

ASUAviator
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Rug Road 'West' drive/hike 12/5

Post by ASUAviator » Nov 30 2014 5:26 pm

This ones been on my list for a long while but I didn't tag out this weekend so I I've got other priorities for next

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 30 2014 5:49 pm

I'd love to get out to that area, but am already booked for the day. :(
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 30 2014 7:56 pm

kingsnake wrote:I'd love to get out to that area, but am already booked for the day. :(
Maybe next week... Once I have the plan for Wednesday 12/10 I'll post it as an event. (Probably posting by Sunday evening 12/7)
CannondaleKid

PhilMW

Post by PhilMW » Nov 30 2014 10:02 pm

I'd be interested in jioning, though I think I have something going on already, but I can't remember what. :doh:

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Dec 01 2014 4:36 am

In Vegas 12/10. But then I am the guy who schedules bathroom cleanings and hair cuts a year ahead of time. :D
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 01 2014 6:39 am

PhilMW wrote:... I think I have something going on already, but I can't remember what
Join the club...
kingsnake wrote:But then I am the guy who schedules bathroom cleanings and hair cuts a year ahead of time.
So you only clean your bathroom and cut your hair once a year? Don't feel bad if I never come to visit... ;)

And I'm the guy who...
- Cleans the bathroom just a bit more often than once a year.
- Hardly has any hair to cut and no scheduling... when it's time out comes the #1 clipper and a few laps around the bean and it's done.
- Often changes plans while on the way to a hike & going to a different area, so posting an event almost feels like being locked-in.
- Oh yeah, likes to make lists...
:whistle:
CannondaleKid

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Dec 01 2014 3:14 pm

@CannondaleKid
:lol:

PhilMW

Post by PhilMW » Dec 03 2014 9:38 am

Do you have any ideas on when you might get back into town? I do have plans for later in the afternoon (5ish), so that will determine if I can join or not.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 03 2014 11:27 am

PhilMW wrote:Do you have any ideas on when you might get back into town? I do have plans for later in the afternoon (5ish), so that will determine if I can join or not.
If I went alone I planned to be back home (E Mesa) between 6:30 & 7 pm but with no specific agenda other than Little Table Mountain summit and some recon I'm open to an earlier return. (see edit below) Would you be driving your own vehicle or riding along?

The round-trip from East Mesa to the proposed trailhead will take about 7 hours in drive-time, so leaving at 5 am and returning by 5 pm would leave about 5 hours of hiking.

<Edit> Slight change in plans... I'll be shortening the Friday trip enough to give me time to re-pack the Jeep for a Saturday/Sunday overnight near the east end of Rug Road in the Turkey Creek area. So returning by 5 pm would be fine with me. (PM me if you want further details)
CannondaleKid

Return to “Hiking Events”