Page 1 of 2

Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 07 2015 8:55 pm
by oceanzhang
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Anyone want to hike Supe Peak 5057 with me Sunday, 9/13 from Carney Springs TH? I need to start early (5am) so I can finish before 11am, otherwise I might be vulture food. I've never hiked this trail before, but it takes me a little over 3 hours for a Flat Iron round trip, so I'm giving myself up to 6 hours for this guy

Re: Superstition Peak 5057

Posted: Sep 07 2015 9:20 pm
by _-_
@oceanzhang
lots of loose rocks going up to Carney Springs after that a nice hike. It's also rough going back down, but you are giving yourself more than enough time to do it.
Great views too

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 08 2015 1:27 pm
by rayhuston
@oceanzhang
If you don't find anyone to hike with you, I'll go up there with you. I love hiking that end of the mountain and the views from the peak are amazing.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 08 2015 4:40 pm
by oceanzhang
Ray, thanks for the offer! I got a couple of buddies willing to get up early and join me for a race to the top. You're of course welcome to join us as well!

One question: it looks like a significant portion of the hike is east-west. Is that portion completely exposed to the eastern sun?

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 08 2015 4:51 pm
by rayhuston
Almost the entire route is exposed. You will find a couple of shady spots, one near the Saddle and again on the second climb. Bring sun screen and lots of water. The good news is the warm part of the hike will be mostly downhill. Enjoy!

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 1:05 pm
by Hippy
You'll bake once the sun is up, I miss those days.
But early enough you'll have a better chance of spotting big horns south of the peak (toward the 3 sisters) enjooooy!!

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 2:09 pm
by CannondaleKid
rayhuston wrote:The good news is the warm part of the hike will be mostly downhill.
Just don't plan on the descent being easy by any measn... Carney to the Saddle is a real butt-kicker in BOTH directions.

I just returned from a Carney to West Boulder Saddle round-trip and I'd rate the descent as at least twice the challenge as the ascent. Sure, you'll burn more calories on the ascent for sure, but there's more chance for mishaps on the steep descent, especially when hot and dog-tired at the end of a long hike. Slow and extra-careful with each step and you'll do fine.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 2:18 pm
by CannondaleKid
skillpore wrote:Your gunna fry out there. I wouldn't do this hike until the high temp gets to the 80s.
An early start is the key... just hope the early morning humidity isn't too high.

This time of year the temps don't bother me half as much as humidity.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 2:24 pm
by JasonCleghorn
CannondaleKid wrote:
rayhuston wrote:The good news is the warm part of the hike will be mostly downhill.
Just don't plan on the descent being easy by any measn... Carney to the Saddle is a real butt-kicker in BOTH directions.

I just returned from a Carney to West Boulder Saddle round-trip and I'd rate the descent as at least twice the challenge as the ascent. Sure, you'll burn more calories on the ascent for sure, but there's more chance for mishaps on the steep descent, especially when hot and dog-tired at the end of a long hike. Slow and extra-careful with each step and you'll do fine.
I think its the steepest non-technical-non scrambling descent I have ever been on... SCREEEEEEE

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 2:28 pm
by Hippy
Come on, its not that bad... Have you hiked Old Hance??
Crawling up or down from the saddle just requires lungs and light. He'll have a blast.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 2:32 pm
by JasonCleghorn
Hippy wrote:Come on, its not that bad... Have you hiked Old Hance??
Crawling up or down from the saddle just requires lungs and light. He'll have a blast.
Oh its fine and honestly I was still 'new' to PHX when I did it. Probably wouldn't even bat an eye at it now. :lol:

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 3:20 pm
by oceanzhang
Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to Brown's Peak this Sunday and hitting 5057 next Sunday when it's a couple degrees cooler. I've never hiked Brown's either.

When the weather cools off to high of 80s it's too dark in the mornings (my other motivation for starting at 5am is to be able to still spend most of the day with my family), so 5057 is only available to me in Summer :(

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 09 2015 4:30 pm
by CannondaleKid
oceanzhang wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to Brown's Peak this Sunday and hitting 5057 next Sunday when it's a couple degrees cooler. I've never hiked Brown's either.
Great replacement option!
oceanzhang wrote:When the weather cools off to high of 80s it's too dark in the mornings (my other motivation for starting at 5am is to be able to still spend most of the day with my family), so 5057 is only available to me in Summer :(
While some 10 years ago I did the ridgeline from Carney and began a full two hours before sunrise I sure wouldn't want to do that again.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 11:46 am
by oceanzhang
update: I ended up going to Brown's on the 13th. It was my favorite view, better than Humphreys IMO, and I loved the scramble up the chute at the end. I probably won't do it again unless I ride with someone who has a serious off-road vehicle.

I did 5057 on the 20th. Lots of AEG. Great views and experience, but I prefer the scramble up Siphon Draw much more.

Are there any other hikes in AZ that offer a lot of scrambling without having to use ropes to get to the summit?

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 12:20 pm
by wallyfrack
@oceanzhang Picket Post near Superior is similar to Flatiron.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 12:28 pm
by oceanzhang
@wallyfrack
great! I'll add Picketpost to my list. Thanks!

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 12:36 pm
by Tough_Boots
Battleship

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 12:39 pm
by CannondaleKid
oceanzhang wrote:Are there any other hikes in AZ that offer a lot of scrambling without having to use ropes to get to the summit?
Yes, many! I'm sure many others here on HAZ will share a variety of ideas and favorites, and as a HAZ peak bagger of some note, should one have the desire I can provide more than enough to keep you busy for a long time.

As for my favorites?
Battleaxe Butte came to mind in an instant.
Ajax Benchmark (Peak 4356) was a close second.
Peak 4202 right next-door to Ajax would be a great follow-up.
JJ and I did an Ajax/4202/3937 triple on triple-dozen... 12/12/12.

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 12:44 pm
by oceanzhang
@CannondaleKid
Thanks so much! I'll try all those! Can't wait!

Re: Superstition Peak 5057 Sept 13 5am

Posted: Sep 28 2015 3:43 pm
by _-_
@oceanzhang
Geronimo Head the views are awesome :M2C: