Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2015-11-15

# of days 5

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Superstitions Backpack, 11/15-11/19

Post by big_load »

I'm not sure if I'll do this as a single trip, or break it in two, but I plan to spend most of the week in the Supes. I'm trying to come up with an unusual route, but I'm also tempted to revisit some favorite spots in a different way. More details to come.
Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

Re: Superstitions Backpack, 11/15-11/19

Post by Trew »

Big Load, this is RedDoug, Trew on this site. We did Picket Post together.
I have some experience in the Superstitions. And I am always available if you need or want company.

Nice hike is from First Water TH down to Picketpost. That is the first section of the Grand Enchantment trail.

I am always looking for someone with a car to spot on one end.
johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp »

GET #2 ends at Picketpost, #1 at Rogers Trough.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson
big_load

Post by big_load »

@Trew That's an interesting idea. I haven't been between Rogers Trough and Picketpost.
Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

Post by Trew »

Another interesting hike is to go in at Miles TH up the Pinto Crk trail to the Champaign Tr and then over to Reevis ranch and then to Roger's Trough and then back to Miles TH by the Pinto Crk trail. Usually 3 nights/4 days.

Can then go up to Round Top (Circle top?) and see the indian ruins of the Fire TRail.

I had your phone number until just recently by lost it now.
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

If you need transportation, out, back or whatever I may be available to help. Would be nice to meet you folks as well.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
big_load

Post by big_load »

Trew wrote:Another interesting hike is to go in at Miles TH up the Pinto Crk trail to the Champaign Tr and then over to Reevis ranch and then to Roger's Trough and then back to Miles TH by the Pinto Crk trail. Usually 3 nights/4 days.

Can then go up to Round Top (Circle top?) and see the indian ruins of the Fire TRail.

I had your phone number until just recently by lost it now.
I like this idea, since it gets into areas I've been thinking about and connects to some water. I haven't been all the way to the Miles TH, only as far as the Haunted Canyon parking area. Is it rental car-friendly?
big_load

Post by big_load »

SuperstitionGuy wrote:If you need transportation, out, back or whatever I may be available to help. Would be nice to meet you folks as well.
Thanks, that would open up the options a bit if we go for some kind of traverse.
big_load

Post by big_load »

Trew wrote:Another interesting hike is to go in at Miles TH up the Pinto Crk trail to the Champaign Tr and then over to Reevis ranch and then to Roger's Trough and then back to Miles TH by the Pinto Crk trail. Usually 3 nights/4 days.

OK, this is what I'm aiming for. Circlestone would be a great stop if we can make it. It sounds like Reavis will be the first reliable water.
big_load

Post by big_load »

Trew had some important unexpected duties to handle at home and won't be able to make it. Anyone else who's interested, please chime in by Saturday.
no avatar
tonydavid
City, State: Claremont, CA

Post by tonydavid »

Hi…I am trying to plan a backpack with my son for Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe 3 nights. We would like to do a 15 mile loop or something like that. I don't want to carry water…..any suggestions on where to go?
big_load

Post by big_load »

I can't think of a backpack that long where I wouldn't carry water, but there are some where I might only carry 4-5 liters at any one time. They daily mileage might be too high. One is the Charlebois loop from Peralta TH that passes LaBarge Spring and Charlebois Spring. You may find the last leg of that loop too long. It's a great hike, though.
big_load

Post by big_load »

OK, my computer is going into storage. I'll still get PMs on my phone. I'll probably leave from the Miles TH around 7:00 am. Returning Wednesday or Thursday depending on my whims.

Return to “Hiking Events”