Linked Guide  • Roblas Butte, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2016-01-01

# of days 1

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

5th Annual New Year's Day Topper!

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 21 2015 5:25 pm

Seriously! Has it really been 5 Years? :D Who will Join me this Year and help Ring in the New Year with some Views??? :y: We are going back to the SE and this one looks Great! Roblas Butte in Queen Valley, just South of the Superstition Wilderness! And for those Super Hikers, there are 2 more "Peaks" to hit while you're there! :D The Road will be good for all Vehicles and I will drive out and check it out for Parking Arrangements... Once again, the Hike will be Short, Sweet and maybe a little Steep....And once again, it will be Off-Trail, so keep that in Mind... :y: Hope to see you there! Cheers! :D

Update: Start Time will be 9:00 A.M.

Directions: From Mesa, Superstition Freeway/SR 60 East to Queen Valley Road (Turnoff is just past the RR Tracks) Go 1.8 Miles to Hewitt Station Road. You will bear Right, cross a Cattle Guard and then the Road turns to Dirt. Go 3.0 Miles and turn Left onto Hewitt Canyon Road/FR 357/FR 172 (This is the same Road that takes you to Woodbury and Roger's Trough THs) Go 2.8 Miles to a small Pullout and a small Road taking off on the Left. This is our Parking Area. Roblas Butte can be seen from quite a ways out and will be on your Right on FR 172. You will actually just be Past it when you see the Parking Spot.

Hewitt Station Road is a little Rough for the first 1/2 Mile, but after that, it's really good. Hewitt Canyon Road/FR 357/172 is Rough, but nothing a Car can't handle as long as you're not a Low Rider. You'll probably just have to take it a little slower than an SUV or Truck would. It took me 1 Hour 10 Minutes from South Scottsdale to get to the Parking Spot, in an SUV that Rides fairly Smooth....

If anyone needs or wants to Carpool from the East Valley, let me know...Kingsnake has also offered Room in his Vehicle.... :)

If you're really careful, you might be able to get away with wearing Shorts on this, but....You're going to get a little Scratched up, it will be a Bushwack, although it doesn't look Terrible. The Weather looks to be Great with a High between 58 and 65, a Light Wind and no Clouds....
Last edited by outdoor_lover on Dec 29 2015 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: 5th Annual New Year's Day Topper!

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 22 2015 5:00 am

Southeast, such as Whetstones, Dragoons, etc?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 22 2015 10:07 am

@azbackpackr
Staying Local Liz...SE of the Valley...Don't think anyone wants to make that kind of a Drive for a Day Hike on a Holiday....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 22 2015 2:26 pm

@Outdoor Lover
Not everybody knows how to find the event hike description. It might be helpful to put it in the OP as well.
Highway to hell

hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw » Nov 22 2015 2:52 pm

Looking forward to meeting others.

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Nov 22 2015 3:03 pm

for once I get to come cuz I don't have to work the next day. Whoo hoo!
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 22 2015 3:58 pm

@chumley Done! Thanks!
@hikerdw 8) And btw, Family Members are Welcome as well.... :)
@tibber :y:

rayhuston
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rayhuston » Nov 23 2015 11:43 am

Looking forward to it, Pam. I wanted to come last year but I had a conflict.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Nov 23 2015 4:43 pm

Is Rowdy allowed?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 23 2015 5:02 pm

@rayhuston
It'll be good to see you again Ray!
@Widowmaker
Not sure about the Final Terrain going up on this Hike. Also not sure who all will be coming and whether they prefer not to Hike with a Dog....We'll look at that Question again right after Christmas....

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Nov 24 2015 5:08 pm

@Outdoor Lover
Let me know either way
Thanks
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 24 2015 11:28 pm

I'll probably be back in January, but not as early as New Year. Have fun everyone!

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Nov 25 2015 3:14 pm

I will most likely be working. If not, count me in.

Barrett

Post by Barrett » Nov 26 2015 1:53 pm

Your pack mule reporting for duty. :DANCE:
Not having done much in this area, which two additional peaks are you suggesting?
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 26 2015 8:01 pm

@Barrett
According to the Topo, you have the Top and BM of the Butte and then if you descend off the Top but stay on the Ridgeline, there are two more High Points that are actually numbered, along the Ridgeline of the Butte. Kind of reminds me of Stewart except all the High Points are in more of a straight line instead of a "Triangle".

Charger55
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Charger55 » Nov 28 2015 6:21 pm

I did this one a few years back. It's exposure city up top so be careful. Are you going up the east face or the west face? I bushwhacked my way up the west face and practically gently strolled down the east slope in comparison. It's a fun one though...
"I've driven across deserts, driven by the irony, that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free"
- Frank Turner "The Road"

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 29 2015 3:39 pm

Awesome selection, Pam!

I plan on doing more in that area anyway, and had not yet come up with any ideas of my own ... :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 02 2015 9:52 am

I'll be hosting a northern AZ new years hike for those of us up here sorry can't make it to yours Pam! Post lots of pics! :D

Barrett

Post by Barrett » Dec 11 2015 8:13 pm

@Outdoor Lover
Unless your cookies are exceptionally heavy, I plan on bagging the Trio for those interested.
The amount of bubbly that will be left for the final high point is not entirely certain. :GB:
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 12 2015 4:17 pm

I may need a little more Help than I would normally need Hauling things up...I probably will not be wearing a Day Pack, but a Fanny Pack instead. My RibS are not Healing.... (Notice how that's Plural now) ](*,) I'm still going to do the Hike, but hoping I can Distribute 90% of the Party Weight to everyone else. It's Unfortunate that I have to do that, but I'm probably stretching things as it is simply by doing the Hike, much less carrying much Weight. I need to try to keep the Weight and Strain off my Core.... ;) So if you're willing to help, leave some Extra Room in your Packs for "Stuff"..... :)

Return to “Hiking Events”