Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2016-02-12

# of days 1

Peter_Medal
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Glassford Hill

Post by Peter_Medal » Jan 28 2016 9:23 am

One of Prescott Valleys landmarks, Glassford Hill (elevation 6,177 feet ) was once an active volcano between 10 and 14 million years ago. Colonel William A. Glassford traveled the area in the 1880s and helped build a system of 7 heliograph stations to monitor the movements of Apache Indians, U.S. military troops and civilians. Glassford Hill was a part of that early communications system. Today, it stands as an extinct volcano. There is no trail to its summit. There is a road from its west flanks to communication towers on its summit. There are no trip logs on Hike Arizona. Sad. It needs to be bagged and tagged.''First time we will launch from the East Iron King TH (5065') off Glassford Hill Road & Sante Fe Road. Future hikes will launch from the western most tip of the Granville subdivision and shave 2 miles off the hike.

Metrics:
1150' Accumulated Elevation Gain
4.4 Miles round trip
No trail bushwack, rock climb on its inner nub. Word is, there is a CAVE on this mountain, we will check it out.

Shocking that the elevation gain of GH is HIGHER then Camelback Mtn or Squaw Peak or Mt. Union, Mt. Davis and yet it gets no respect from local Prescott Hikers or the AZ hiking community. This changes 7AM on Friday, February 12, 2016. Get some.
Last edited by Peter_Medal on Feb 11 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Glassford Hill

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 28 2016 9:52 am

That's really Interesting that there isn't one Triplog for it at least....Very Tempting on this one Peter....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 28 2016 12:42 pm

Peter Medal wrote:Shocking that the elevation gain of GH is HIGHER then Camelback Mtn or Squaw Peak or Mt. Union, Mt. Davis and yet it gets no respect from local Prescott Hikers or the AZ hiking community.
Hmmm... :-k
Could it be because there's an easy access from the Diamond Valley sub-division? Just a 3-mile 800' AEG round-trip along the tower maintenance road.

Maybe once you've done the hike and added a description HAZ'ers give it some respect. ;)
CannondaleKid

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Jan 29 2016 8:19 am

I've been thinking about this one a bit, after coming across this article a few months ago: http://pvtrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=10 ... leID=51392. Just never got around to doing it.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 29 2016 8:45 am

@nikorock28
"Quad Cities"!? :lol:

Never heard that before. And I can't think of more than two anyway. Neither of which I would classify as a city! :)
Profound observer

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Jan 29 2016 9:49 am

@chumley
Really? I have heard it regularly since moving to the area in 2005. I thought it was common knowledge. (I'm not being sarcastic if you think I am). The four "cities" would be Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley and Dewey-Humboldt. Shoot, after living at the canyon so long, anything with a stretch of street and establishments on either side feels like a city to me. Last time I was in Sedona it felt like the big city to me!

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 29 2016 10:11 am

@chumley
You are not the only one who does not agree with the "Quad Cities Designation"

I was searching references to that for the area and found someone's online rant :lol:
When will people stop using this stupid term to refer to the area. It was dumb to call the area the "Tri-Cities" and its more ridiculous now.

There are no "Quad" cities.

Chino Valley is just a town.

Dewey-Humboldt is just a town. Barely.

Only Prescott and Prescott Valley are cities by legal definition

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 29 2016 11:05 am

The only quad cities I know of are Moline, Davenport, something else, something blah blah. Also a stretch to call those cities too, but who knows. I think they get to make their own "legal designation". After all Gilbert is a town. It also has 230,000 people living there.

Prescott Valley is classified as a town, despite having a higher population than the City of Prescott. (40,000 and change).

So that.
Profound observer

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 29 2016 1:06 pm

chumley wrote:The only quad cities I know of are Moline, Davenport, something else, something blah blah.
Rock Island and Bettendorf. C'mon, everybody knows that, right?

When ticket prices are right, I still fly into there instead of Cedar Rapids when I go to visit the folks.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 29 2016 4:02 pm

From East Moline, the original Quad Cities. No I am have to look for my copy of Great Days of the Heilograph.
jk

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 04 2016 9:50 am

Can't do it...Still too busy to leave Town even for just a Day....Have Fun Peter!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Peter_Medal
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Peter_Medal » Feb 09 2016 8:19 am

GlassfordHillPlan.jpg
Planned Route Map

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"

LansfordHastings

Post by LansfordHastings » Mar 28 2016 6:05 pm

The town of PV is opening a new hiking trail up Glassford hill. Tentative date is sometime in May. The construction also includes a parking area.

http://dcourier.com/news/2016/feb/26/gl ... n-build-p/

LansfordHastings

Post by LansfordHastings » May 14 2016 6:01 am

Official opening of the Glassford Hill trail in two weeks:

http://www.dcourier.com/news/2016/may/1 ... n-runwalk/

Return to “Hiking Events”