Linked Guide  • Mount Elliott 6980, AZ
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2016-02-25

# of days 1

Peter_Medal
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Mount Elliott (6980')

Post by Peter_Medal »

Mount Elliott is the highest peak in Mayer, AZ, about 4 miles west of Highway 69 from Poland Junction (Mile Post 275). Poland Junction is 13 Miles from Interstate 17 & Cordes Junction.

Mount Elliott displays its prominence along Highway 69 through Mayer. Its posted on the 1900 USGS Topographic Map but was not able to find any history on it.

My compadres and I will launch at 7am.....basically from a smallish parking about 3.5 miles west on Poland Road. We will take Eugene Gulch for about 1/4 mile to Trail #9429 North about just under a mile; from here we bushwack to summit. However, Google Earth satellite imagery shows some trail/routes up its east ridgeline. About 4 miles estimated round trip with 1900' in elevation gain. The attachment depicts the planned route. Vegetative communities in the area are primarily Manzanita and Chaparral. Long pants suggested, shorts for the memories.

Topos noted several mines peppering this mountain range...bring a headlamp if you want to go into some mines with us. Good times.
Attachments
MountElliott.jpg
Last edited by Peter_Medal on Feb 20 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Mount Elliott (6980')

Post by chumley »

Peter Medal wrote:shorts for the memories
:y: :)
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

A. G. Elliott located a mine in this area in September 1874. Mines/Prospects may have included Divided, Little Jesse, Galena and McCabet ? Early company may have been the Ohio Mining Company. All mines located on the East of Mount Elliott.
jk
Peter_Medal

Post by Peter_Medal »

Last night I found some pix of the mining operations in and around Mt. Elliott, but I plan to purchase them from Sharlot Hall Musuem to get their stamp off the pix. I found an Obituary of a William Elliott of Mayer that died in 2006 (89yr old) must have been a son or grand son of A. G. Elliott....

Peter_Medal

Post by Peter_Medal »

Updated Planned Trip Route
Attachments
MountElliottGE.jpg

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

My USGS topography map, 7.5 of Poland Junction (1975) indicates a road and trail to Mt. Elliott Spring along (just North of) Ticonderoga Gulch.
jk
Peter_Medal

Post by Peter_Medal »

Return to “Hiking Events”