Linked Guides none
Type Standard Hike, Climb, etc

Start Date 2016-03-04

# of days 1

Peter_Medal
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Bear Down Mountain

Post by Peter_Medal »

Currently, this is an unnamed peak situated 3 miles East of Lynx Lake and 4 Miles West of Highway 69; 1 Mile south of Sun Devil Peak (6903') and 3.5 Miles North of Mount Elliot (6980'). Elliott is the true summit of this outer Bradshaw Mountain range that runs north to south between the Walker Valley and Highway 69.

Tucson is South of metro Phoenix.
Tucson is higher then metro Phoenix.
Metro Phoenix is home to Arizona State University - Sun Devils.
Tucson is home to University of Arizona - Wild Cats.
This unnamed peak is south of Sun Devil Peak, and higher in elevation, only fitting it be named "Bear Down". ha ha.

Access to the peak ...
From the west can be from the Salida Gulch Trail, then off trail to summit.
From the north via the Charcoal Gulch #9419 Trailhead (future Newtown Trailhead) south past Sun Devil Peak then off trail.

For this journey, we will launch from a residential area in Dewey-Humboldt off of East Shirley Lane. Satellite imagery shows a trail or path that connects to Trail #9405 by Fain Tank. From the water tank we will hike southwest on #9405 for a brief jaunt then into the first drainage then right/west and UP to an unnamed mine. Satellie imagery shows trail in the drainage, then up an east ridgeline until we connect with trail 9419 then it junctions with an unnamed trail which is on topo maps and aerial imagery. We stay on this unnamed trail for about 3/8ths of a mile then banking north-northwest (staying on the south ridgeline) towards Bear Down Mountain summit which is another 5/8ths of a mile. Taped off route on Google Earth shows an estimated 3.34 miles one-way with an estimated 2001' in elevation gain. Get some.

My compadres and I will meet at the Blue Ridge Market/Chevron Station on Highway 69 & Kachina Place...7AM......19 miles from Interstate 17 & Cordes Junction and bounce from there.
Attachments
BearDownMountainGE.jpg
Last edited by Peter_Medal on Feb 26 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"
Peter_Medal
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Re: Bear Down Mountain

Post by Peter_Medal »

Trail Map...ha ha ha... I mean planned route.
Attachments
BearDownTrailMap.jpg

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"

Return to “Hiking Events”