Linked Guide  • Alamo Canyon - AZT #17, AZ
Type Trail Maintenance

Start Date 2016-11-11

# of days 3

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Arizona Trail Maintenance - Passage 17a

Post by writelots » Oct 07 2016 11:39 am

The Arizona Backpacking Club is sponsoring its annual maintenance event on Passage 17a in the heart of the Sonoran Desert. Because we've scheduled the event for Veterans Day weekend, we're going to get a little more ambitious with our plans and try to get deeper into the passage working on the Southern end. In order to do this, it means a little more hiking in.

ur goals for the weekend:

• Hike/Drive into the southern edge of our passage - about 11.5 miles from the Picketpost Trailhead. This year, our day 1 falls on the Veteran's Day holiday, so we can get an early start! This should help us with getting work done on the southern end of the passage for a change. Yeehaw!
• Grub out mesquite and catclaw and all other spiny plants which have grown over the trail. (You know you want revenge!) It's been a WET summer and fall, and the plants have come back in force!
• Check on water sources
• Clear any problems with trail tread or identify areas for further work in future trips.

We will have tools and materials as well as water and food delivered to our site prior to hiking in - so your pack can be as light as your spirit.

Volunteers will be rewarded with a hearty dinner cooked by the event host on Saturday night and a cooler of icy beverages available for your enjoyment. (Weather depending it may also be full of hot adult beverages!)

Don't miss the trail-work/social event of the season deep in the spectacular Sonoran desert!

In previous years, participants have said:

"Amazing food and great folks - thanks!"

"I had a great time and will definitely sign up again....I learned so much on how to properly fix up a trail. Your meal was the best I ever had on the trail!"

"We feel like we have a huge debt to the AZT folks...and this helps us to get some of that even."
Last edited by writelots on Oct 07 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Arizona Trail Maintenance - Passage 17a

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Oct 07 2016 1:34 pm

It says labor day up top and Veteran's day below???
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

writelots

Post by writelots » Oct 07 2016 11:24 pm

@Tortoise_Hiker
Corrected - thanks for the heads up. The event is on Veterans Day weekend.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Oct 08 2016 9:08 am

I'm sorry - is this on Veteran's Day, or on the weekend? What dates exactly? I am off the 12th - 14th and would be interested in helping ...

Edit: Nevermind, wrong month!
Where is the "dislike" button?

writelots

Post by writelots » Oct 16 2016 5:08 pm

Just back from a wonderful week of hard work on the AZT up Highline way and I'm really looking forward to getting back to my desert roots. We're still trying to find 4wd support for the event, and for transportation of gates and cement out to the remote gates along 17a. Come on out and get your revenge on catclaw in a big way!

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Oct 24 2016 9:18 am

This has changed a little. We are still hiking Friday morning but only 7 1/4 miles to FR 4 where this event is normally staged. We will work for a bit on Friday afternoon and Saturday will be the big day. If we get 4-legged support, they can carry our tools a good distance up the trail so we can make better time and then manicure our way back for Wendy's infamous supper on Saturday nite. We will then hike out Sunday.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Return to “Hiking Events”