Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

White Mountains ski report!

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 15 2007 3:59 am

We got hit with a kind of fickle storm. Some areas got snow, others got just a dusting. Pole Knoll was skiable yesterday. For better skiing, take Sunrise turnoff, go to where 273 (the road to Big Lake) is gated off, a couple miles past the Sunrise General Store. Park at gate, ski in non-motorized area along tree line. Up in the trees there is about 2 or 3 feet of snow. Good for snowshoeing as well. Also, Sunrise Ski Resort cross country ski trails are open, only $7 if you don't rent skis.

As for Pinetop or Forest Lakes, I don't know.

See my write-up and photos.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 18 2007 6:15 am

UPDATE: Jan. 18: There is snow in the forecast, starting tonight, through the weekend.

Hope for some more coooold--looking photos from me! I hope to get to a different area this time. I'll go back to Baldy foothills if the snow isn't deep enough elsewhere, though. Or maybe pay the $7 and try the Sunrise groomed xc ski trails--I've never skied those.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 20 2007 6:42 am

UPDATE JAN 20: Ok, come on up! Expect bad roads! Expect big crowds at Sunrise if you are a downhiller!

I haven't called around to see who has the most. If you are wanting to cross country ski or snowshoe I expect you can drive up and stop and do that wherever it starts to look deep enough. There is not enough here in Eagar to ski out my front door, only about 3 inches. But I talked to someone in Greer last night, they were getting hit pretty good. I will go up later after the plows have done their thing.

I tried to find a pair of snowshoes to borrow this weekend, just for a change of venue. No success as yet. Oh, well, I do love to cross country ski, and own a pair.

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

payson snow

Post by Dschur » Jan 21 2007 12:20 pm

So far in Payson we have had 8 inches of snow and it is still falling. Will have to see what it does.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 21 2007 2:06 pm

8 inches in Payson! Wow! It started in again with renewed vigor about an hour ago, has snowed a couple inches in the past hour. So it has started to move over this way! The trouble is the temperature is about 30 degrees--way too warm. I hope it gets colder so it won't all melt. NWS forecast says 4 more inches overnight in Eagar. I expect Greer, Sunrise, Pinetop and Alpine will get more--they usually do.

I think I just bought the last 3 bags of heater pellets in Round Valley, at Bashas'! The stores can't seem to keep them in stock. We have a pellet stove, also a wood fireplace, gas furnace and electric as well. I am glad we have more than one heat source! So many people do not. I work in a heating stove business, and it's amazing how many people depend upon only one heat source. You gotta have a woodstove or fireplace--they will work even when the electricity goes off. Plus, firewood is there for the cutting--all you need is a $20 cutting permit, chainsaw and pickup truck. Oh, well, yeah, and someone with muscles to do the job!

no avatar
jkern15674
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by jkern15674 » Jan 22 2007 4:33 am

Arizona is such a neat state, you say it's too warm up in the white mtn to get snow and in Phx it snows? Go figure.
What's the overnight total up there now azbackpacker???

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 22 2007 5:47 am

It looks to be about 5 or 6 inches here in town. I'm going skiing in a few minutes--out my front door!

What I meant about the temperature was that if the snow is falling when it's 30 degrees it's too warm to last long. Since it did snow in the late afternoon, thankfully it got colder, so a lot of it did stick. Right now it's 20 degrees. I imagine most of it will stick for a day or two now that it is colder. If it was 0 degrees this morning I'd expect even the roadways to stay snowy, but it will probably get up to 35 or 40 today. I'm only talking about here in town though. I'm sure the slopes and cross country ski areas have a couple feet of snow, and it should stay quite awhile. Come on up!

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jan 22 2007 6:52 am

Tucson apparently got a good amount too. My father in law sent me some pictures, I'll post a few later in the day.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 22 2007 3:48 pm

Early this morning, before the town workers dropped cinders on the streets, I went skiing, right out my front door! I skied for a couple of hours, up Main Street and then up Water Canyon Road a little ways. It was fun. Saw a lot of elk and coyote tracks. Conditions were not too bad. On the way back I had to avoid the cinders, though--by then they had scattered them everywhere in the streets, so I skied on the sidewalk.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 22 2007 4:05 pm

azbackpackr wrote: On the way back I had to avoid the cinders, though--by then they had scattered them everywhere in the streets, so I skied on the sidewalk.
I use ancient wooden skis. I even used to repair wooden skis once upon a time. The thought of running over cinders brings tears to my eyes. Reading about it makes me hear that horrible scrape and feel one ski stop dead while the other one is still going.

Enjoy the snow!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 22 2007 8:16 pm

Well, it's generally not quite that dramatic. I just try to avoid those spots. I went onto the sidewalk on the way back, after I got back into town.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 24 2007 2:14 pm

UPDATE Jan 24: Well, the snow is sticking here in the yards and on roofs. So I'm gonna say NO PROBLEM this weekend for folks who might want to come up here and sled, ski or snowshoe. Or downhill. I heard that Sunrise was very crowded on Sunday, though. My neighbor went skiing but left early due to big crowds.

That's why I like cross country skiing!

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 24 2007 5:11 pm

I'm headed to Sunrise this weekend. I don't care if it's crowded; I can't pass up the opportunity! I'll be staying at a friend's house in Pinetop. I can't wait!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 25 2007 3:58 pm

Sounds fun! I filled my gas tank, and will try to fit chores in with xc skiing both Sat. and Sun. Hope to go to the Green's Peak area, if it's deep enough and crusted over it is really fun.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2007 4:41 pm

Skied over by Green's Peak today. Parked at the sledding hill/Railroad Grade Trail parking lot, carried my skis across Hwy 260, skied a couple of hours across the meadows, up and down vales and around the cinder cones.

Tomorrow I might go to Williams Valley Winter Sports Area near Alpine. I hear they finally plowed the road into there and ol' Myron the Mule Skinner is using the groomer on the trails today. Groomed trails are fun, sometimes.

Return to “Ski”