Car Camping / Trailhead Camping

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Car/Overland camping set ups

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 28 2018 10:08 am

So i’m Slowly experimenting/changing Yertle as we use her and as budget permits. I’ve seen and know some people have set ups ie. Bebee, steph and Blake. I also know oregonhiker and RedRoxx sleeps in their fj’s and of course Grasshopper and his camp set up. Basically, I would like to see different Haz setups. Eventually, I would like solar and fridge freeze. I’ve seen cool roof rack shower/ 10 gallon water storage systems and am particularly interested in dual purpose systems as space can be a premium. I know these things are trial and error for example the first place I put my sleeping platform works great for me, but is too close to the ceiling for my wife. I now store it where it was so there is room for the dog and provides extra storage when not in use for sleeping, but it moves forward when car seats are moved providing enough head room. The generator bay fits our cooler and stove. I made a flip down table for cooking. The vehicle was already equipped with blackout curtains and I made screens for the windows. I also have a deluxe room with a floor for my arb awning. It’s dual purpose as well providing room for the dogs and any or all of the walls can be rolled up for air flow or just a screened room for mosquito relief. Eventually, we want do more overland travel when the kids are grown up and I would like to do a set up like this which might be of interest to Tacoma owners as they are looking at marketing their set up. https://gearjunkie.com/custom-pop-up-camper-build I found the new set up particularly useful on our last trip because w/ out kids/car seats and the platform already set up we were able to drive to the spot even on a pretty difficult 4x4 rd. And no set up for overnight camping to get an earlier start. Only way I was able to add pics was to add photos that were not posted to my personal photo album and copy links to this forum.
Generator bay where cooler and cooking supplies fit [ image ]
Old sleeping position allows use of seats and fold up table with storage below [ image ]
Storage position of the platform provides room for Bernat underneath [ image ]
Platform moved forward for sleeping room for kids to sit up car seats have to be removed [ image ]
Yertle with Awning extended. I have floored room for this measures 8'2"x8'2" [ image ]
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Aug 28 2018 4:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Steph_and_Blake
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Car/Overland camping set ups

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Aug 28 2018 10:23 am

What's a Yertle?

We just built a sleeping platform and storage underneath in the bed of our F250 (which has a topper). If all goes as planned we will take it on its maiden voyage this week. We decided to keep it very simple and not go with slide-outs, fridge, solar, etc. as we're not 100% sure we'll enjoy sleeping in the space. Basically we wanted something with minimal setup for 1 or 2 night trips.

As for a shower...Take a look at the Helio shower (available on Amazon). It packs up to, maybe, 6 x 6 x 3. Doesn't require electricity. We heat up water on our camp stove and siphon the water into the Helio. Works like a charm.
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 28 2018 10:50 am

Steph_and_Blake wrote:What's a Yertle?
[ photo ]
[ photo ]
Profound observer

Steph_and_Blake
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Aug 28 2018 12:20 pm

@chumley
Holy cow!
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Aug 30 2018 7:42 am

I don't have the skills or interest to do a DIY build, so my current set up is a sleeping bag in the back of my Outback. But some day, when my ship comes in, I'll be upgrading to a Sportsmobile-customized Sprinter van baby!
IMG_0498x.jpg

MtnBart01

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 30 2018 8:20 am

@toddak
A guy I work with has one and he spent 20 grand less than on his house :scared: they are 😎. I’m not a diy person either, but found that trying to fill my frontier with 2 kids and dogs doesn’t work. I have done a few things to the truck and removed a few things to increase space, and ultimately doing nothing else it is comfortable for our weekend camping trips. Just looking for hacks and ideas that Hazers’ are using when they camp. It’s going to be awhile before the kids are going to be ready for backpacking. We have been doing truck camping to hikes or destinations using freecampsites.net. Some of the spots we’ve found off the beaten path require high clearance 4x4. In fact most places we go are pretty rough in order to get solitude. The site has been a great resource.

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Aug 30 2018 7:03 pm

@MtnBart01
Yeah, $125K and up and an 18 month wait time for a custom Sprinter, insane. iOverlander.com is another good resource for informal campsites.

MtnBart01

Post by MtnBart01 » Oct 08 2018 8:28 pm

1C1B431C-073E-49C3-907A-B4D30C49E46A.jpeg
Sleeping platform now folds up and transforms into storage shelf when not in use lifting on gas struts and drawer slides. It now only takes about a minute to switch it back and forth. :y:

[ youtube video ]
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Oct 09 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 10 2018 3:02 pm

Looked at various campers and preferred a popup when I replaced my popup a couple of years ago. Wanted something that I could take into the back country unlike my previous camper. I use the camper as a base camp and its a Jumping Jack 6' x 8' model. Had it out the past week.
IMG_0400.JPG
jk

MtnBart01

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 19 2019 10:11 pm

I just completed upgrade to Yertle after accidently catching ceiling on fire with the kids in it on our last camping trip. :o :o :o
Attachments
787087BE-3D9C-4E46-804A-B349EE39D8DB.jpeg

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 20 2019 12:55 am

Yikes! Another family story that will be retold for years to come.

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Nov 20 2019 8:11 am

@MtnBart01
Nice job. :app:
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 22 2019 6:00 pm

@Pivo
It comes with incredible break-proof windows. Elon demonstrated it himself in the unveiling!
[ youtube video ]
Profound observer

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Nov 22 2019 6:02 pm

@chumley
And a handsome looking truck it is....said no one ever.
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Nov 22 2019 6:09 pm

My son stayed up late last night to watch the unveiling, and he’s already requested that we buy one. I do like Teslas, and they are fun to drive, but actually owning one might make me feel like a traitor. Or not. I don’t think I’d buy one until all the kinks are ironed out though.

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Nov 23 2019 9:15 am

RETRO RESTO...someone did a good job restoring this beauty. 1973...When men were men, and FJ-40's were all business with no frills. Almost too nice to take off road, but I would in a heartbeat! Check out the photos.
https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1973- ... d-cruiser/
Navajo Nightway Chant

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 23 2019 12:52 pm

@LosDosSloFolks
I first went out to Red Deer/Las Mujeras Pueblo in the mid to late 60's in one of these. It had the cool Tilt O Meter like our modern FJ. The last thing you see before you roll to your death.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 23 2019 4:07 pm

LosDosSloFolks wrote:And a handsome looking truck it is....said no one ever.
The memes on this today ... are on fire! :sweat:
Attachments
IMG_4943.jpg

MtnBart01

Post by MtnBart01 » Dec 03 2019 7:47 pm

No Fires (except the campfire) and my boy and I managed to stay warm despite 30-50 mph winds for two days and lows around 10F both nights. Awning room held up to the winds like a champ. I’d call the added insulation and ceiling a success!
Attachments
13628382-C29F-4688-8377-4AEDB31FB4DC.jpeg

Return to “Camping”