Car Camping / Trailhead Camping

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Car/Overland camping set ups

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 28 2018 10:08 am

So i’m Slowly experimenting/changing Yertle as we use her and as budget permits. I’ve seen and know some people have set ups ie. Bebee, steph and Blake. I also know oregonhiker and RedRoxx sleeps in their fj’s and of course Grasshopper and his camp set up. Basically, I would like to see different Haz setups. Eventually, I would like solar and fridge freeze. I’ve seen cool roof rack shower/ 10 gallon water storage systems and am particularly interested in dual purpose systems as space can be a premium. I know these things are trial and error for example the first place I put my sleeping platform works great for me, but is too close to the ceiling for my wife. I now store it where it was so there is room for the dog and provides extra storage when not in use for sleeping, but it moves forward when car seats are moved providing enough head room. The generator bay fits our cooler and stove. I made a flip down table for cooking. The vehicle was already equipped with blackout curtains and I made screens for the windows. I also have a deluxe room with a floor for my arb awning. It’s dual purpose as well providing room for the dogs and any or all of the walls can be rolled up for air flow or just a screened room for mosquito relief. Eventually, we want do more overland travel when the kids are grown up and I would like to do a set up like this which might be of interest to Tacoma owners as they are looking at marketing their set up. https://gearjunkie.com/custom-pop-up-camper-build I found the new set up particularly useful on our last trip because w/ out kids/car seats and the platform already set up we were able to drive to the spot even on a pretty difficult 4x4 rd. And no set up for overnight camping to get an earlier start. Only way I was able to add pics was to add photos that were not posted to my personal photo album and copy links to this forum.
Generator bay where cooler and cooking supplies fit [ image ]
Old sleeping position allows use of seats and fold up table with storage below [ image ]
Storage position of the platform provides room for Bernat underneath [ image ]
Platform moved forward for sleeping room for kids to sit up car seats have to be removed [ image ]
Yertle with Awning extended. I have floored room for this measures 8'2"x8'2" [ image ]
Last edited by MtnBart01 on Aug 28 2018 4:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Car/Overland camping set ups

Post by big_load » Dec 03 2019 10:39 pm

DmN
City, State: Laveen, Arizona

Re: Car/Overland camping set ups-Tesla’s pickup truck has a camper configuration

Post by DmN » Dec 04 2019 8:50 pm

Pivo wrote:
Nov 22 2019 5:51 pm
Here is a new one.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cy ... iguration/
I still think this is one of the greatest trolls in american automaker history.
Embrace the suck.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Dec 04 2019 8:55 pm

@DmN
It's also one of the ugliest POS I've seen.
Onward into oblivion!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 05 2019 6:42 am

Nice marketing touch... in an idyllic setting nestled among old-growth trees.

My questions would be:
How far did you drive on the charge to get to the 'remote' location?
Is that an electric 'stove-top' and if so, how much of the precious electrical charge will it sap?
Taking those into account, along with keeping cell phones & other necessary devices charged, what happens when you run out of power well before you can reach a charging station?

With just a daily 20-mile round-trip to work and rarely driving out of the Valley, an electric vehicle would work quite well for Tracey.
But without huge gains in battery efficiency there is no way an electric vehicle would work as a replacement for the 4Runner... not for the typical use we get out of it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live to see quantum gains in battery efficiency take place, but I'm not holding my breath.
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 05 2019 6:51 am

@CannondaleKid The top tier model is slated to have a 500-mile range.
Profound observer

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 05 2019 7:14 am

@chumley
So far the weight appears to be 'undisclosed' but based on estimates the base model with 250-mile range may weigh 7500 lbs.
Add the weight of two more motors and associated extra battery weight to hit the 500 mile range, that's gotta weigh somewhere north of 9,000 lbs.

Realizing as more batteries and the associated weight are added it lowers the effective range in the sense it requires more electricity to move the extra weight. So one has to wonder where the tipping point is.

Maybe tow a battery trailer? :doh:
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 05 2019 7:31 am

@CannondaleKid I guess you can choose to be an optimistic visionary and pursue dreams others can’t even imagine today, or you can sit back and cling to your rotary phone while others walk around with computers in their pockets with batteries that were impossible just 5 years ago. I’m not on the list to buy one, but I’m sure not gonna pretend that it’s not possible.
Profound observer

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 05 2019 12:03 pm

The Tesla truck will come with a free Honda generator, or a small coal fired generator.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 05 2019 1:40 pm

@chumley
First off, I'm not a Luddite by any means... after all I do have a pocket computer, I have not had a rotary phone in over 35 years (no black one since 1959), I have in-home Wi-Fi, a Smart TV, not one but two NAS's... even a solar panel on the roof of my 4Runner to run a 12v cooler while camping or for cool drinks after a hike.

Second, I DO believe the challenges I questioned WILL BE solved at some point, and as I said before, I'd love to see it. And for some of the new technology I'd be eager to make use of it.

However, between living long enough to see something like people taking a trip to Mars, or being able to afford an electric (or hydrogen-powered) vehicle, personally it simply isn't realistic.

As it is, it was a stretch to a 10 year-old 4Runner when the Cherokee kept Just Emptying Every Pocket.

@Alston_Neal
And for when gas or coal isn't available, maybe an option for a retractable wind turbine.
CannondaleKid

Return to “Camping”