Car Camping / Trailhead Camping

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Camping Type

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 02 2003 8:15 am

What type of camper are you, tent, car, pop-up etc. I like to sleep on the ground (hiking/backpacking) with out a tent but I also use a tarp or even a tent when rain threatens. I also like to camp using a bicycle and my jeeps and set up tent/tarp depending on the weather or the mood of the ants. I have borrowed pop-ups and have used a travel trailer, but I am spoiled if it rains I prefer to listen to the drumming of the rain on a rain fly.

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Aug 02 2003 10:00 am

I too have tried it all, and the only type I didn't care for was RV'ing. I've done it only a few times, but my impression on each trip was that I'd rather spend the night in a motel. It was all about housekeeping, the parks were nice, the driving was do-able, but all the housekeeping and maintenance issues were a drag. I think I'd rather spend the night in a good motel and eat in a restaurant, if I'm looking to spend that kind of money.

My favorite camping is still back packing into a wilderness area, hopefully sleep under the stars or listen to the rain on the tent.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Aug 02 2003 10:23 am

Snick33 wrote: favorite camping is still back packing into a wilderness area
Amen

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Aug 02 2003 10:41 pm

I prefer backpacking and I will go car camping with my young kids. Matter of fact, might car camp next week-end with my kids, school's starting.

Thom
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Thom » Aug 03 2003 11:19 pm

Bugs were horrible where I grew up & got the camping itch, so I'm pretty solidly a tent camper. I like a bit of the wilderness myself... Maybe set up camp a 20 mins from my car in the early part of a dispersed/trail area (like where all those college boozers camp at West Clear Creek :wink: ), but camping in developed grounds is alright too, especially when with someone new to the outdoors.

Having to deal with all the snowbirds on the road out here in East Mesa, I've pretty much come to loathe RVs, so I don't expect to camp like that any time soon. Honestly, I don't see what the point to RV or trailer camping... car camping even. I mean, why drive ten hours to "camp" when you can do the same thing in your driveway at home? I want to be immersed in nature, not parked in it. But, to each his own, I guess.

So yeah, 'tis the tent-camper's life for me.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 03 2003 11:29 pm

I like sleeping under the stars nestled deep in a canyon. Wilderness is good too, I just like to be miles from the next campsight. I rarely carry a tent; only a tarp or poncho, just in case. Some of my best memories are of being tucked in my sleeping bag gazing at the stars just before I pass out after a full day of walking. I can also remember weathering fearful storms in the middle of the desert with nothing but a ponch tied to some trees for cover, praying that I did actually pick the high ground. Some of those nights made me wish I brought a tent, but that passes with the storm, and in the end I'm glad I got through without all the extra frills. Somehow it just makes it all the more worthwhile.

olesma

Post by olesma » Aug 04 2003 10:53 am

Backpacking if I have the time - WAAAAAYYYYYY out away from anyone.

Car camping if I'm taking a first-timer or kids.

The wife will have none of it - so Motel/lodge camping for her - roughing it is not sleeping on our extra-padded king matress. I can just hope I can manage a location within 20 minutes or so (by car) of a good hiking locale.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

ADGibson
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ADGibson » Aug 05 2003 9:59 pm

I like SUV camping and really like to backpack. I still am not comfortable without my tent though. It has saved me from plenty of nasty weather.

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Aug 06 2003 3:34 pm

I like car camping, but love backpacking.

Which way I go just depends upon what is on the menu... literally. Wine tasting on the rim requires vehicles. Perfectly quiet solitude requires doing things not everyone else can or will. Backpacking.

I haven't seen the need to R-V, besides I don't think I could take it where my truck takes me...
Dog is my co-pilot.

landsinaz
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by landsinaz » Aug 06 2003 5:57 pm

Backpacking is our favorite...no tent unless necessary as having a roof interferes with our view of the stars! Of course any night spent outdoors, car or not, is a good one!
Someone who would trade freedom for security, deserves neither. Benjamin Franklin

JimmineyGrl

Post by JimmineyGrl » Aug 06 2003 7:29 pm

I've always gone tent camping but I am looking forward to my first backpacking trip. I think for the first time I will take a tent just in case.

AK

Post by AK » Aug 07 2003 12:38 am

Backpacking=tent. camping=tent. camping this weekend on the rim with 12 of my closest friends, 2 kegs, and myself in my 1 man tent=priceless. :rollH:
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Aug 07 2003 1:11 am

I like to drive up and car camp near the Trailhead so I don't have to wake up way too early, drive X amount of miles and then hike right away. It also enables us to get an early start on the hike. If the hike is going to be over 12 miles then there's a good chance it'll be a backpack. Happy Trails...

Nighthiker

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 09 2003 5:22 pm

I just added a tent trailer to my camping type (this will delay for awhile parachute borne backpacking) and plan on using it on my next days off from work.

mttgilbert

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 09 2003 6:54 pm

I'd like to hear more about this "parachute borne backpacking"

Snick33

Post by Snick33 » Aug 09 2003 6:59 pm

matt gilbert wrote:I'd like to hear more about this "parachute borne backpacking"
That idea is enough to make me consider jumping out of a plane! Please tell us more . . . . . . . . .
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Aug 09 2003 10:34 pm

Sounds like a Government sponsored event.

Nighthiker

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 10 2003 11:37 am

I have always wanted to parachute into a place and backpack, most folks have a dream destination, mine is access. I once was flown in by a helicopter and hiked out.
jk

Snick33

Post by Snick33 » Aug 10 2003 12:18 pm

I've often commented that I think with a few cocktails, I could jump from a plane or a chopper . . . . with all the noise creating a distraction . . . . I might make it. Jumping from a ballon or a bridge . . . . with that eerie & deathly silence, now that's a whole different ball game. But jumping to a remote site and backpacking out, H'mmmm intriquing to say the least.

Of course, I almost convienced my pappy to let me pogo stick out of the back of a moving pick-up truck. It was he who had the cocktails that time. Only my mothers intervention averted a major catastrophe.

mttgilbert

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 10 2003 12:50 pm

That is a great idea John. I'd never thought of that, but it sure would make for a interesting trip.

when are we going?

Return to “Camping”