Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
MightyMousE
City, State: Winchester,VA

Roosevelt Lake Camping

Post by MightyMousE » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

All,
Planning on a camping trip this weekend at Roosevelt Lake. Will be our first time up there. I remember some time last year that somebody (maybe snick?) stayed up there and had a great experience. Any recommendations on campsites. What about MT.Biking /Hiking in the area.
I look forward to your info!
Thanks,
MM

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Camping

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

I stayed at Windy Hill and visited Tonto National Monument, Roosevelt Cemetery and Roosevelt Lake Visitors Center nearby and rode a mtn. bike that I borrowed around the area (including the Tule trailhead access road). Another night I stayed on the north side of the lake (its a long drive from the south side of the lake) at Cottonwood wash (undeveloped) and I rode the bike on the A-Cross road and the Cherry Creek road. Since the lake is low right know, you may want o check out the area west of Punkin Center on forest road 409 (Park Creek) apx. three miles from the pavement is a wooded area (mostly oaks) and the site of old Camp Reno is located in the area.

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

We have camped many times at the Cholla campgrounds which is on the lake, 3-4 miles West of the dam and bridge. They have hot showers and toilets that flush!!! The best camping spots are close to, and overlook the lake.

On the West end of the bridge, just after the guard rails is the Vineland trail. The first part is a slough with a rise of 800 feet in 1 mile, but once your on the ridge it's a great hike. If you head South just before you hike up to the ridge, you can see the dam and the lake. It's a beautiful but be careful, it's steep and that first step is a bad one.

On the East side of the bridge about 300 yards past the intersection of 88 and 188 is another trail. You can see the gate from the road. It's called something cemetery trail and heads due East as I recall. Have fun!
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

no avatar
Scott
City, State: Avondale, AZ

Post by Scott » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

i was just up there Sunday for the first time in awhile. I took my girls to the visitor center. The folks inside gave me maps and info on the local trails. There is one right across the street from the visitor center which also connects with the cemetary trail snick mentioned. Couldnt get over how low the lake seemed.

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

MightyMouse

Post by Snick33 » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

You got me to thinking about how much fun it was last time, so I'll be at Cholla camping this weekend. Look for the champagne Jeep if you choose Cholla, have fun in any case.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

MightyMousE
City, State: Winchester,VA

Post by MightyMousE » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

Well, did the Roosevelt experience this weekend. I must say, not what I expected. Very 'RV' and family oriented. Luckily we had a great site looking at the water so that was a benefit. Don't think we'll head up there again though. Glad to have done it. The highlight was the drive home on 88 through Apache lake and canyon Lake. Next camping trip will be in Portal in Coronado Nat'l Forest. Lots o trees and peace......
Megan

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

MM -

I don't believe you caught the better part of the basin. It's a bit further but the Salome Wilderess and further has some great areas. There's countless oportunities along Cherry Creek too but that's getting way past Roosevelt Lake. And hey you did catch one of the best rides home!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 01 2002 5:00 am

If your in the area of Cherry Creek, check out (hike) Coon Creek from the Cherry Creek road to the Salt River. This is a nice riparian area along the creek. I have also camped, though you are near power lines. Dry creek to the west will provide a great opportunity to observe deer and javelina.

Return to “Camping”