Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
catgup21
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Sedona/Oak Creek camping

Post by catgup21 » May 13 2008 8:26 am

I am planning on heading up to the Sedona area for the weekend and looking to do some hiking and car camping. Any suggestions for campgrounds that won't be too crowded but still have facilities?

JoelHazelton

Re: Sedona/Oak Creek camping

Post by JoelHazelton » May 13 2008 8:47 am

Depending on what time you get there, you'll probably have a limited selection. The farther north on the 89A you go, the less crowded they will get. But, they will all be crowded. Just drive 89A up Oak Creek and check the signs on the left as you pass the campgrounds. Snag the first one that doesn't say FULL.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 13 2008 8:58 am

Visit the Coconino National Forest website, and navigate to Campgrounds under Recreational Activities. There you'll be able to read about each campground as well as make reservations for some. (Others are first-come, first-served, in which case, I wouldn't plan on being there later than 11am on Friday).

Note: Due to recent restrictions, campfires are not permitted in this area except in an established fire ring within a developed campground. Sounds like this won't affect you this weekend, but if you opt for something outside of a campground, campfires are not permitted (as of 5/14/08).
Profound observer

no avatar
catgup21

Post by catgup21 » May 13 2008 10:33 am

Ok, everything is looking pretty full. What are my options if all the non reserved spots are taken when I get there?

chumley

Post by chumley » May 13 2008 11:19 am

Options?
1. Get there early.
2. Go to a less popular campground.
3. Camp outside of a campground (dispersed camping). If you're not familiar with the area, this is tougher to plan on. (Unless you like driving around on forest roads in search of a nice spot). It also means no campfire, no toilet/facilities, etc.

I don't ever camp in campgrounds, so I don't know the procedures, but I would think that there are cancellations to reservations that can be filled too. You might call the reservation center to ask how that is handled.
Profound observer

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » May 13 2008 11:22 am

I'm pretty sure that once you get to the top of the hill on 89A there are several areas to camp. But yeah, no facilities or creek or signs or actual campgrounds.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » May 13 2008 3:29 pm

catgup21 wrote:Ok, everything is looking pretty full. What are my options if all the non reserved spots are taken when I get there?
As you mentioned, a couple of the campgrounds on 89A hold out some sites for use without reservations - in other words, 'first come- first served'. That is one option, although most of those campgrounds put folks pretty close together for my taste.
As stated above there are myriad options north of the overlook on 89A, specifically FR 237 east of 89A.
One other option would be to camp along Woody Mountain Road SW of Flag and hike down the trails into Sedona - an added benefit to this method is that no Red Roack Pass is demanded.

kurt
kurt

nonot

Post by nonot » Apr 25 2015 6:13 pm

Does anyone know if dispersed camping is allowed on either Forest Rd 525 or FR525C?

(Both are west of Sedona/Oak Creek in an area that doesn't have much development.)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 25 2015 6:24 pm

looking at the red rock country map published by the forest service
forest road 525 south of boynton pass road looks open to dispersed camping
might be more info on the coconino national forest website
page 10 of this document:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 806979.pdf
pertinent info copied:
"West of Sedona
Travel 3 miles west of Lower Red Rock Loop Road on
Hwy. 89A to Forest Road 525.
After 2 miles, much of FR 525 and 525C are open for dispersed camping"

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Apr 25 2015 6:50 pm

Yup. I spent the night in that area last week. Signage along Boynton Pass Road went from "camping prohibited" to "put out your campfire." I found a good spot just off of 525 around 4370ft. Saw numerous parked RVs while I was driving down the road and even had some cars circle my spot. Plenty of like-minded folks looking for sites.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 25 2015 7:04 pm

That's good to know...Finding any Dispersed Camping out there has been a Challenge for me....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Camping”