Car Camping / Trailhead Camping

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Tortilla Campground

Post by Nighthiker » Nov 05 2012 1:33 pm

Usually I set up base camp at Tortilla Campground at Tortilla Flat this month but the forest service has closed it down with some other recreation sites on the Mesa Ranger District. Tortilla was close enough I could camp and still go to work and the weather is ideal.
jk

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Tortilla Campground

Post by big_load » Nov 05 2012 2:12 pm

Why did they close it? Cost?

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 05 2012 2:24 pm

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/new ... rdb5395171
There will be a seasonal reduction in services at some developed recreation sites on the Mesa Ranger District, October 15 - April 15.
The reduction in services includes no vehicle access, trash pick-up, no available toilets, and no drinking water where water was previously provided.
“The reduction in services will allow the recreation staff to consolidate use and more efficiently manage recreation on the district as visitation drops in the fall and winter” stated Gary Hanna, Mesa District Ranger.
Profound observer

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 05 2012 2:28 pm

The funny thing about that is that Tortilla is listed as being an open campground only from Oct 15- April 30 anyway. So does this now mean it is only open for camping for 2 weeks all year (April 16-30)?
http://tinyurl.com/b3ts8ak
Profound observer

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Nov 05 2012 3:36 pm

Similar reductions at Seven Springs.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 05 2012 4:13 pm

chumley wrote:... visitation drops in the fall and winter
Oh really? Seems a bit odd to me, what with the snow-bird influx this time of year.
CannondaleKid

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 05 2012 4:23 pm

Seven Springs looks like it hasn't been maintained in awhile. I was there today. They have closed access to the Day Use area even. What a shame....And yet we saw a caravan of about 7 Forest Service Vehicles driving up the road.....All of the FS Roads and Campground areas are barricaded..... :(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Nov 05 2012 4:44 pm

@Outdoor Lover Seven Springs was like that last year. There is a lot of gravel and boulders throughout the campground. It must have flooded badly in recent years. The concrete tables have also been broken, probably by vandals because they all look to be broken in the same way.The barricades were there then also. That didn't stop me from hanging out at the creek for a few hours though. I used to have such great fun there as a child and it was very disappointing to see this area in such disrepair.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 05 2012 5:08 pm

@beterarcher
I can't believe that they let such a popular area like that go to waste. It is apparent from the Creekbed that they did have some kind of major flooding event in the last couple of years. The whole area is a mess with alot of debris, both natural and man made in the Creek. What an absolute waste of a beautiful area....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 05 2012 5:14 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:@beterarcher
I can't believe that they let such a popular area like that go to waste. It is apparent from the Creekbed that they did have some kind of major flooding event in the last couple of years. The whole area is a mess with alot of debris, both natural and man made in the Creek. What an absolute waste of a beautiful area....
In 2006 - the year after the Cave Creek Complex fire - the floods roared through here and ripped out most of the CCC work. Downcreek there was flood debris 10 to 12 feet up in the trees.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Nov 05 2012 5:19 pm

So that's when it happened. I've been wondering for a while. I also used to camp up the road a bit past the group camp in an undeveloped area. I wonder if you can still overnight there? The hike up the creek is (or was) beautiful. Guess I'll have to check it out soon.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

big_load

Post by big_load » Nov 05 2012 5:19 pm

Isn't that campground one of the resources intended to be sustained by the infamous Tonto Pass? :STP:

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 05 2012 5:24 pm

big_load wrote:Isn't that campground one of the resources intended to be sustained by the infamous Tonto Pass?
I think the original intention of the Tonto Pass has been long forgotten....

@beterarcher
I'll try to get my Triplog done tonight. No way will the Photos be ready before tomorrow night or even Wednesday. The Sycamores, Cottonwoods and Willows are all Peaking..... :y: 125 Photos in 3 hours.... :o

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Nov 05 2012 5:36 pm

@Outdoor LoverYou get a cramp in your trigger finger? : rambo :
Anthony Bourdain

big_load

Post by big_load » Nov 05 2012 5:58 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:I think the original intention of the Tonto Pass has been long forgotten....
Too bad that doesn't apply to its enforcement as well.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 05 2012 6:25 pm

beterarcher wrote:The hike up the creek is (or was) beautiful. Guess I'll have to check it out soon.
The hike is still beautiful - I was there a couple times within the past year or two ...
Where is the "dislike" button?

Return to “Camping”