Car Camping / Trailhead Camping

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Car camping near Aravaipa

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2013 5:13 pm

I'm headed for Aravaipa in a couple of weeks, and need to be able to camp nearby the night before in order to get a fairly early start. I'll be coming from the north, down 77.

I know about the camping along the Gila River just north of Winkelman, but I saw signs there recently saying the BLM was going to close those campsites April 1. Is there public camping at Winkelman Flats, or is that just for big organized groups? Is there dispersed camping anywhere along Aravaipa Road?

I know about Jones Water, north of Globe, but wanted to lose more elevation than that.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Re: Car camping near Aravaipa

Post by kingsnake » Apr 18 2013 6:15 pm

The area at the intersection of 77 and 177 is a city park. Only time I've been there, during the day, there was some guys breaking horses in the corral. Lot of junk and beer cans along the north branch of the Gila River. Fairly open ground, though you might get some privacy near the bridge. Judging from the trash though, I'd beware local drunks partying and ATVing, at least if you are tenting it.
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2013 6:22 pm

Sounds very yucky. The campsites a few miles north of Winkelman along the river look nice, but that is the area the BLM was closing. I wonder if you can camp at the West Aravaipa trailhead? Anyone know?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Apr 18 2013 6:28 pm

Freaking browser just killed my reply. :x

Anyway, you could try the top of the wash just before the Ranger station. *Great* views, all the way from Oracle to the Ray Mine. No water. About 1.5 miles and 750 aeg to get up. Park either at the Ranger station, or if paranoid and posessing 4x4, a bit up the wash.
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2013 6:35 pm

Well, I guess I should have said I need to be able to camp right next to the car IN THE DARK since I will be arriving after dark. Maybe at the trailhead? I just want to know if it's illegal or not. Will the ranger chase me away?

I've only been there once before, and remember the road is not very good. Where is the ranger station? I remember there is a house where the ranger lives, right by the trailhead parking, but I didn't think it was a station. I've only been there once before, parked the car, put on my pack and started hiking, so I just really don't remember it much.
Last edited by azbackpackr on Apr 18 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 18 2013 6:35 pm

There is a camp near the west T/H. It's right across from the ranger station/house & the ranger is, well....
It's also sort of what I like to call a 'hardship camp' - not pretty & has little redeeming value other than it is close to the T/H.

Conversely, the camp at the EAST side is much better - even better up Turkey Creek a-ways.
Last edited by hikeaz on Apr 18 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2013 6:37 pm

Yes, I have heard about that ranger. So I can just drive in there, throw my bag on the ground next to my car? I don't care if it's pretty. I won't be seeing it. It'll be dark.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 18 2013 6:39 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Yes, I have heard about that ranger. So I can just drive in there, throw my bag on the ground next to my car?

Yes - but not AT the T/H - It is before the T/H a bit on the right side going in.

De nada.
kurt

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2013 6:40 pm

Gracias!

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Apr 21 2013 10:47 am

I would think you could just throw your bag outside the car at the parking lot. I did have the guy check my permit when I arrived but I do not think he was a ranger.
I highly doubt there will be anyone checking the lot at night when you arrive.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 21 2013 2:33 pm

I may just leave here at 3 a.m. and forget all the bumping up that road at night in my old Honda Accord, etc. But thank you for the info. I am going to check it out more carefully as I drive in there.

Return to “Camping”