Car Camping / Trailhead Camping

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Post by Jim_H » Feb 02 2014 8:14 pm

I know nothing of the place, but would like to visit it on my expected up coming trip. What is the camping situation there like? Can one car camp like you can in a national forest, or is it very restricted with dedicated sites as in Catalina State Park? Is there a shower concession like in Death Valley? What might be a nice place to camp, or what are some good places?
Rocks!!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2014 8:24 pm

Jim_H wrote:I know nothing of the place, but would like to visit it on my expected up coming trip. What is the camping situation there like? Can one car camp like you can in a national forest, or is it very restricted with dedicated sites as in Catalina State Park? Is there a shower concession like in Death Valley? What might be a nice place to camp, or what are some good places?
I haven't camped there in years, Jim, but I hear that there are a lot of places you can camp at-large. There are a bunch of people on here, such as RedRoxx, who go there often, and post up stuff. There are loads of campgrounds, too.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Feb 03 2014 5:55 am

Campgrounds from primitive to cushy at Borrego Springs. You can camp at large too last I was there, however to get off the road you may have to negotiate some sand and rocks on some of the side roads, you should be ok with the Subie in most situations. South end-- Drive up the Carrizo wash road a ways, the road into the area of the approach to Sombrero peak ( nice mesquite bosque to camp in) however is a very sandy road in part with some rocks to drive around. Due to the terrain you do have to drive a bit to get into an area not in plain sight of paved roads. Pinyon mtn road is nice too, before you get into tech 4wheeling territory. A lot of people like the campsites at Agua Caliente and at Borrego springs. I haven't camped in those so can't give any info except you pay and will have lots of company I would say right now.
From Salton sea side a great many short pull outs favorites of the RV crowds but you have good views and lots of space. Coming in from the Julian/Ramona side again a few spots before the road drops down, maybe a little more cover up there and less sand, more rock, and great views in that area too.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 06 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks, I may end spending a few nights in the park. Weather (wind) and maybe light snow, and an event weekend look to keep me away from Palm Springs, and then the temps are off, so I might not get to the coast. Anza Borrego is nice for this time of year.
Rocks!!

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Feb 06 2014 8:48 pm

@Jim_H
But not until next week.
Onward into oblivion!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 06 2014 8:52 pm

What do you mean?
Rocks!!

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Feb 06 2014 9:05 pm

Next few days a little stormy. Nice over there from Sunday on.
Onward into oblivion!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 06 2014 10:02 pm

rwstorm wrote:Next few days a little stormy. Nice over there from Sunday on.
Forecast has changed. The rain is supposed to be over with tonight. Friday quite windy. Saturday through Thursday balmy and nice.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rwstorm

Post by rwstorm » Feb 06 2014 10:04 pm

@azbackpackr
I saw that, but always like to give myself an extra day or two if planning a big drive. Won't commit until I know the weather is to my liking. Being retired I have that luxury and exercise it. :D
Onward into oblivion!

Return to “Camping”