Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
Ddub
City, State: Desert Hills, AZ

Fly Fishing Oak Creek

Post by Ddub »

Headed to Sedona this weekend for some fly fishing. The plan is to start at Grasshopper point and fish upstream. I've not actually started at the West Fork. Does anyone have experience fishing this far upstream or can recommend some good spots? Thanks!
"The Proper Function of Man is to Live, not Exist" - Jack London.
http://www.theproperfunction.com
Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Fly Fishing Oak Creek

Post by Al_HikesAZ »

Not personally. But here is the Orvis report as of Monday 9/28/15 from the Scottsdale Orvis shop. The Rating is "Just Ok" so don't get your hopes up too high.
http://www.orvis.com/f...
Oak Creek Description
The catch and release section from Junipine Resort to the West Fork parking lot has been reported as good for brown trout. Dry-dropper works well with 14-18 Adams and Elk Hare Caddis and 14-16 Gold Ribbed Hare's Ears, Pheasant Tails and Copper Johns. Stocking of rainbows has gone well this Summer.

Techniques & Tips
Start of with a dry dropper and change up the bottom fly if not getting any hits change bottom fly often.

7-Day Forecast
Watch the weather. Rain can blow out the Creek in a very short time.
Looks like they recommend staying south of the West Fork parking lot in the Catch & Release section.

There are some Arizona Fly fishing guidebooks listed in the HAZ Books Section. Reviews are appreciated.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Not personally. But here is the Orvis report as of Monday 9/28/15 from the Scottsdale Orvis shop. The Rating is "Just Ok" so don't get your hopes up too high.
Did a fisherman ever admit to the action being any better than "Just OK"?
Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ »

big_load wrote: Did a fisherman ever admit to the action being any better than "Just OK"?
I have heard many say (and I have said it a few times) "Oh yeah - the fishing was great. The catching sucked"
Remember - the worst day fishing is better than the best day working :y:
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=44790
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney
Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray »

@Ddub
I start at west fork and walk about 1/3 of a mile then fish up stream back to parking lot. Have not been there in about 6 months as fire damage brought a lot of silt into the area. They stopped stocking because of this but back to stocking. Have had the best luck with small Adams. I'd rate it fair.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!
ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

I like to park near the DQ or Indian Gardens and work my way up or downstream. I think the key to success here is to commit to "hoofing" it for the day leaving your vehicle behind. Shorts or swim trunks, sunscreen, lunch, and sandals or sturdy water shoes are what you'll need. There are some really productive spots near Briar Patch Inn, but you have to get used to walking the creek itself to get to the best holes. There are large browns in Oak Creek so don't hesitate using something in a size 12-10-8 even, brown, black, orange, olive, marabou jig combinations are some of my favorites.
Drop down in size and presentation where the creek nears a road or driveway to target the obvious "stockers". A #16 hares ear, copper john, or pheasant tail bead head, tied 18-24 inches below a patriot fly.
You aren't late if you don't show up!
ALMAL

Post by ALMAL »

If you like to hike West Fork Oak Creek, here is another reason to enjoy it. Although, the few times I've been there, there were too many people around to even think about wetting a line. Pretty cool how they rig these backpack buckets.
[ youtube video ]
The video mentions a few other places for Gila catching, but leaves off East Verde which has been getting stocked with bigger fish, and Dude creek, not mentioned I think it's still closed to fishing.
If anyone catches an albino rainbow trout stocked in Payson Green Valley park, please post a pic.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@ALMAL
How about an albino rainbow trout stocked/caught at Roper Lake?
They are very pretty and quite large, and people really enjoy catching them. I wish they could just live, but that's another conversation.
Some people are quite shocked and don't know WHAT they've just caught. :lol:
Resized952.jpg
Where is the "dislike" button?
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Do albino fish taste more bland? :)
33s over 45s
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

@chumley
I hear they're very easy to catch when you play "Free Ride" by Edgar Winter. (Sorry...Please don't send this thread to "favorite color" because of this comment) :scared:
Stop dreaming about a better yesterday.
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

@LosDosSloFolks
It's a lost cause, trash it up for your entertainment.
- joe
ALMAL

Post by ALMAL »

ALMAL

Post by ALMAL »

@chumley
Nothing a little butter, garlic, spices, and a campfire won't fix.
BunsbertMontcroff
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by BunsbertMontcroff »

@ALMAL
I wonder how those Gilas in the West Fork are doing after these storms? Do they just get washed down into the main stem of Oak Creek? That fork of the creek doesn't seem like it has too many spots that can sustain trout, or at least spots that won't get washed out/blown out during a storm. I actually hiked the West Fork a few weeks after the Dec. 2019 stocking referenced in the video and I didn't so much as spook a trout - but this was after a storm had passed through.

And you're right - Dude Creek has a population of wild Gilas and will be open to fishing on May 1st (part of the new regs). Single barbless hook, artificial fly and lure only, catch and release.

And off topic a bit - have you been to East Clear Creek since the Tinder Fire? Was wondering if the trout in that stream made it through that...
ALMAL

Post by ALMAL »

@BunsbertMontcroff
I would guess that some do get washed downstream for sure, but I guess that same flooding event allows them to move further upstream as well. I was thinking the same thing about it being pretty shallow as well as crowded.
Glad to hear Dude will be open soon, I need to be there. I hear continued Gila stockings in the upper East Verde too along the 3 crossings area, so definitely an option to fish both same day?
Have not been to East Clear since the Tinder, seems like it should have been Kinder fire. Those fish should still be there, CC Cragin spits out super cold water, if it fills this spring the fishing should be decent. Further down past the Horse Crossing trail where fewer people hike, probably better. Neighboring Victorine Crossing holds some very interesting deep clear pools with intermittent flow, I believe there are some big browns in there, maybe more.
And the Cabin loop has gotten my attention, I've seen trout along the Fred Haught trail where it makes it's final crossing of General Springs drainage, and this video shows a guy caught a nice rainbow in Barbershop creek where the U-Bar trail crosses it [ youtube video ] . I've camped there and always wondered if that pool held a fish.

Return to “Fishing”