fly fishing the Salt River

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

fly fishing the Salt River

Post by te_wa » Feb 17 2008 11:40 pm

Im considering fly fishing the area of our Salt River where the Bush Highway bridge crosses the river. I have seen trout in these waters and I think its a good place to practice some fly casting, its been years since Ive tied one on. Just curious to see if anyone else has fly-fished this area and can offer some input. I'll be heading out the first of March.
:D

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Re: fly fishing the Salt River

Post by mttgilbert » Feb 18 2008 6:22 am

One time kayaking down the salt we came accross a group of people learning to fly fish. There were about ten of them with two instructors. This was going on right before the confluence. I don't know if they caught anything, or if they were just there practicing technique but they were there; fly fishing the salt.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Feb 18 2008 8:27 am

I'd be interested in going out there if you'd like company, it's been a bit since my fly rod has landed a trout
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Feb 18 2008 9:15 am

yeah Ive seen some fly fishing going on at the Salt too... while I was tubing mostly. Ive just began re-igniting my old love for the sport after taking a 20 year hiatus. I think it would be fun to have a few guys out there and Nonot also expressed interest. Could this possibly turn into a group event? (and you dont have to fly fish, you can use a spin rod if you chose) This sounds like a good time.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 18 2008 2:13 pm

I trust this will be a "catch and release" event?
I'm not sure you could pay me to eat something that lives in that river ... especially not anywhere near the blue point bridge. :yuck:
Profound observer

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 19 2008 10:42 am

Matt Hoffman, or someone else may know the answer to this one.......
Is there decent fishing in the Salt near where Sawmill Canyon enters it? My thinking was/is; if it's a bad day fishing, it may be a nice day to HIKE!
kurt

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 19 2008 3:29 pm

hikeaz wrote:Matt Hoffman, or someone else may know the answer to this one.......
Is there decent fishing in the Salt near where Sawmill Canyon enters it? My thinking was/is; if it's a bad day fishing, it may be a nice day to HIKE!
Funny you should mention Sawmill Canyon. I was pondering about it today, while looking at a map of the area. I was wondering if it is possible to drop into Sawmill Canyon from the town of Sawmill on the San Carlos Res. I think I will call them and ask.
I don't know about the fishing in that part of the river. Dealing with reservation permits is too much of a hassle. It would cost at least $25 per person/per day to hike and fish in that area. To me, it's not worth it. I'd rather just hike.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 19 2008 5:20 pm

I don't know about the Salt River but when I arrived in Arizona a co-worker took me to the Blue to learn how to fly fish. Never did get very good at it but while we were there a very large gray squirrel climbed down a branch of a tree that overlooked the stream. As he got closer to the end of that branch the branch bent lower and lower and closer to the river. We then realized that he was trying to get to a walnut that had washed up on a large flat rock that was in the middle of the stream. He finally jumped to the rock and grabbed the walnut but as he did so the branch sprung back up at least two or three feet higher than where it was from when he jumped down. After he ate the walnut he ran around in circles a few times trying how to figure out how to get back to shore or back up to that branch. Finally he made a run for it and jumped for the branch. He missed! And as he fell towards the water the biggest trout that I ever saw jumped up and swallowed him whole. We just sat there in silence not believing our eyes and then we heard another splash and saw that trout placing another walnut on the rock! :sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 19 2008 5:23 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote:Finally he made a run for it and jumped for the branch. He missed! And as he fell towards the water the biggest trout that I ever saw jumped up and swallowed him whole. We just sat there in silence not believing our eyes and then we heard another splash and saw that trout placing another walnut on the rock! :sl:
Absolutely classic! :)
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 20 2008 5:37 pm

Hoffmaster wrote:
hikeaz wrote:Matt Hoffman, or someone else may know the answer to this one.......
Funny you should mention Sawmill Canyon. I was pondering about it today, while looking at a map of the area. I was wondering if it is possible to drop into Sawmill Canyon from the town of Sawmill on the San Carlos Res. I think I will call them and ask.
I don't know about the fishing in that part of the river. Dealing with reservation permits is too much of a hassle. It would cost at least $25 per person/per day to hike and fish in that area. To me, it's not worth it. I'd rather just hike.
Permits?
kurt

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 20 2008 9:56 pm

hikeaz wrote: Permits?
Uh, yeah...
I'm scared of the Indians. I don't want to end up with my stuff confiscated and spend a night/week/year in one of their jails. I'd rather have them rob me up front, and then leave me alone.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 20 2008 10:07 pm

Amen Matt; I'm all about permits on tribal land. If its too expensive, I don't go (see GCW). I know of very few people who say, "Permits? We don't need any permits for Grand Canyon/Arivipa/etc." yet many folks are willing to ignore tribal regulations about permits. I find this difference of views to be interesting and slightly disturbing. If its too expensive to go, don't go. That's one way to let the tribal officials know that their fees are too much. But people hiking without permits on reservations causes ill-will between the locals and the outsiders, and has also led to the closure of some the most spectacular areas on the Navajo Reservation; Tsegi Canyon (except for Keet Seel), Butterfly Canyon, and the majority of the Navajo Canyon drainage. Hikers without permits were specifically and emphatically cited as one of the main reasons for these closures. Do those of us who want to continue to hike in Indian country without being hassled a favor and get the permit. :bdh:
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 26 2008 8:45 pm

So, uh, te-wa and I are still going fishing this Saturday, if anybody wants to join us. Te-wa will be pretending to fly-fish, while I continuously slay largemouth bass with my superior fishing skills. :D

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 26 2008 10:56 pm

OK. Never mind. We both decided to pull the plug on fishing this weekend.

no avatar
josepht
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by josepht » Mar 24 2008 11:16 am

I have been hitting up the river a couple of times a week for the past 2 weeks. I have gone to coon's bluff twice with little luck. I have also gone up by the Damn where the tubers get dropped off and Although I haven't caught much I have seen some trout hitting the top of the water. I think I just need to figure out the right fly. I have been told that tricos and Little Blue wing Olives work well as well as the wet fly counter parts. The fish Only seem to hit the topof the water just as the sun is setting. I have not been there during sunrise to see if they are more active then. I would recommend hitting the area near the dam. Try some of the ripples and then pools there. I tried going up there on Easter Sunday but there was a church group doing baptisms in my favorite fishing hole. I just turned around and left. A parking pass is required for all the areas along the river. They are $6 daily passes and can be purchased from several different places. If anyone finds a fly pattern that works please let me know.

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Dec 29 2008 9:01 am

well as it turns out, you dont need the Tonto Pass if using the trailhead parking in the area. Any of the jeep trails that exit the Bush Hwy are not considered under "recreation" use, only the campsites and picnic areas are. SO if you are coming from Mesa, just before you cross the bridge on the Bush Hwy headed towards Saguaro lake, pull off into the trailhead parking lot with signs that say "Blue Point".
Im headed back out there today to hit some rainbows on Hare's Ears and Elk hair Caddis nymphs. Stonefly patterns also work. The Salt's flow is very light making for some great slow fishing. (i dont mean the catching is great, but the trying sure is) ;)

Return to “Fishing”