Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
Ckzona
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chicago, IL

Boating.

Post by Ckzona » Jun 14 2009 9:32 pm

This is totally a random question. Does anyone know of any rivers in Arizona other then the Colorado River that you can take a small jonboat on with a little outboard engine.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Boating.

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 14 2009 9:35 pm

The Santa Cruz River by Cortero shows it is over 8.5 feet deep at the moment. Not sure exactly how navigable it is, but 8 feet is certainly a decent depth...
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/rt
Good info on stream flows, depths, etc. for pretty much every monitored river and stream across Arizona.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

no avatar
Ckzona
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ckzona » Jun 14 2009 9:43 pm

Im sure there are many creeks and rivers that I (could go on) but i mean like if I was going up Santa Cruz river in a 12 ft jon boat with an outboard is that considered illegal?

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 14 2009 9:52 pm

charkellyaz18 wrote:Im sure there are many creeks and rivers that I (could go on) but i mean like if I was going up Santa Cruz river in a 12 ft jon boat with an outboard is that considered illegal?
On legaliry, check with AZG&F, they regulate watercraft in the state and would likely know if it was legal. If the river goes through a municipality there might be specific rules. I'd find a river you were interested in and find the rules that apply, as opposed to vice versa, because the number of navigable, non-technical rivers in the state is probably very low. Bill Williams, Colorado, Santa Cruz. Maybe the Gila and Salt below the dams and mountains, out of the rapids? LCR would be a no-go. Same with the San Francisco. Verde is technical. Chinle too narrow. San Pedro probably not, plus that one is probably illegal as well. Virgin is technical, among other problems. Hassayampa is likely dry.

Check on the Santa Cruz and Bill Williams. Both show a decent flow and depth, so it is likely they can be motored. Ask Game and Fish about them.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

no avatar
Ckzona
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ckzona » Jun 14 2009 9:57 pm

Alright thanks. I would have thought the San Francisco to be one for sure. Why not? You dont think the Little Colorado River above Winslow or near Holbrook either? What about the lower reaches of the Black River before it converges to form the Salt. If I ever did think about doing this I would definetly ask AZFGD.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 14 2009 10:06 pm

charkellyaz18 wrote:Alright thanks. I would have thought the San Francisco to be one for sure. Why not?
No familiar with the entire river, but the parts I do know are too shallow and/or too narrow.
You dont think the Little Colorado River above Winslow or near Holbrook either?
Half the year it is practically dry, and usually pretty shallow and muddy through this stretch when it is flowing.
What about the lower reaches of the Black River before it converges to form the Salt.
I thought it was in a wilderness. I could be wrong though. I also didn't see any streamflow data right off the bat, so it may not be flowing consistently enough. Some of those eastern AZers might know more than I about the river in general though.
-Old Spiritual

no avatar
Ckzona
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ckzona » Jun 14 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks. You seem to know your stuff.

no avatar
Ckzona
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ckzona » Jun 15 2009 12:27 am

There is 1 spot in Arizona where i have heard of people going in rivers with boats.(outside colorado river) Even 18ft bass boats. On the Clear creek reservoir near Winslow. Supposedly clear creek goes rite into the lake and you can actually go quite aways up the creek. I heard of it a couple times but im not sure.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 15 2009 5:27 am

Oh, yeah, I've heard that a lot. Some friends of mine went there for swimming in a motorboat.

Also, you may be interested to know that the Colorado River near Yuma has three sections that are all very different, and all are popular with boaters and fisherfolk.

Check the flows here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow Look at the middle column of numbers for the cubic feet per second.

1. Above Imperial Dam (Boat launch areas are many, but some examples are Martinez Lake, AZ, Squaw Lake, CA, etc.) So along this above-the-dam stretch (below Palo Verde Dam on the above chart) the water runs very high and deep and fast. It will often run at 11,000 cfs or higher. Today it's at about 10,000 or so. It goes up and down a lot, due to irrigation needs.

2. Between Imperial Dam and Laguna Dam is the "old River" area. It is only four miles long, is sort of hidden away, about 10 miles or so north of Yuma. You can get to it from the CA or AZ side. Some of the launch ramps are back on farm roads and you have to ask around where they are. Near Betty's Kitchen there's one, way back in there.

3. Between Imperial Dam and Laguna Dam is Mittry Lake, which has many really neat little narrow channels. It's separated from "Old River" by a big levy.

4. Below Laguna Dam the river runs again all the way to the Mexican border. It runs past farm fields and through downtown Yuma. Today it is running at less than 500 cfs, which is typical. It is a great place to put in a little johnboat and go fishing. There are many dirt boat ramps amongst the farm fields on both sides, plus a regular ramp at the Yuma city beach park under the freeway bridge, and another ramp at the Yuma city park to the south called "West Wetlands." I do recommend this part of the river. It is uncrowded with speedboats and you will find your little johnboat will do well here in the slower current. There are some very bad sandbars, so you do have to watch it, hopefully your motor will lift up and you can paddle occasionally!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

no avatar
Ckzona
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ckzona » Jun 18 2009 6:23 pm

Thank you azbackpackr and pagerob. Another creek I'm thinking about is Chevelon Creek. I have an aluminum boat that ways 150 lbs . I have carried it to Chevelon lake before with a buddy and when we checked out the creek it averaged 2-6 feet in the deeper spots and I could navigate well into the deeper spots. Its got an 8 hp motor so its legal on Chevelon Lake but I will have to ask the Azgfd to see if I could buzz around the creek with it

Return to “Fishing”