Fish in Reavis Creek?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Fish in Reavis Creek?

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 20 2010 12:03 pm

Are there any fishable sized fish in Reavis Creek. If so what kind of fish and are you even allowed to fish in the Supes?

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Fish in Reavis Creek?

Post by BobP » Jan 20 2010 12:52 pm

If you plan on fly-fishing...you may catch a Sycamore,Ponderosa, or maybe a Juniper. :)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 20 2010 1:35 pm

Mirage Bass but you have to be very fast to reel them in as they usually disappear before they are out of the water... ;)
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 20 2010 1:41 pm

Is there someplace where Reavis Creek flows above ground for more than a few feet?

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 20 2010 1:46 pm

big_load wrote:Is there someplace where Reavis Creek flows above ground for more than a few feet?
YUP
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

rushthezeppelin

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 20 2010 4:52 pm

big_load wrote:Is there someplace where Reavis Creek flows above ground for more than a few feet?
Theres a few larger pools if I remember correctly.

Main reason I was asking is I know the climate in that valley is almost like that of the rim country and I figured perhaps it could support some small fish colonies given that it runs year round. Would have made sense too for Reavis to have stocked it so he could have some nice fish for dinner every once in a while :) Not really sure if it was possible to transport fish to that remote an area then :P

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jan 20 2010 6:56 pm

Keep in mind that the lake didn't exist in Reevis's time, the dam was built about 35 years after his death. Before then the fish in the salt would have likely been native chubs and a few other species now nearly extinct. Roosevelt dam was built 9-10 years after his death and would have killed most of the natives by causing cold water in the salt.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

rushthezeppelin

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 20 2010 7:38 pm

nonot wrote:Keep in mind that the lake didn't exist in Reevis's time, the dam was built about 35 years after his death. Before then the fish in the salt would have likely been native chubs and a few other species now nearly extinct. Roosevelt dam was built 9-10 years after his death and would have killed most of the natives by causing cold water in the salt.
Good point nonot. I guess the only real way there could be fish is if somehow the naturally got there.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 20 2010 7:56 pm

The entire Wind River Mountain Range was stocked manually--milk cans on pack horses--and is now a pretty world class fishery. It can be/has been done, but I don't think Reavis Creek is sufficient.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 22 2010 5:49 am

The full length as of today! :y:

rushthezeppelin

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 22 2010 2:46 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote:
The full length as of today! :y:
Actually I'd imagine there's just a crapload of snow up there, given that globe is covered in it right now. Speaking of the storm though I was watching the flows on some of the creeks and rivers and tonto creek (near were it spills into Roosevelt) hit an astonishing 64,000 CFS sometime last night :o I don't want to see what Pumpkin Center looks like today. The verde hit something like 100,000 CFS above horseshoe. I think they've pretty much lost all their winter trout that they stocked for the lower salt too since they are all washed down probably past tempe town lake.

Return to “Fishing”