Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Alamo Lake State Park

Post by bryanmertz » Feb 28 2003 5:27 pm

Spent 2/21 thru 2/23/03 here. While it is mostly used by RV's, there is some decent camping available.

Hiking below the dam through the Bill Williams river area is good. It takes a bit to get there, but the canyon is great. This is actually an Eagle habitat area too. The park itself is a bit of a transition area; 1200 - 1600 feet, so there is a lot of diverse wild life. We saw some Burro's and Dear.

If you do go, bring extra cash or a check book. The Park is about 40 minutes from the nearest town; Wenden (very small;) and the park store doens't take credit/ debit cards. We had to buy some firewood, and ingredients for smores!

Bryan

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Mar 01 2003 12:58 pm

Great area down stream from the dam, if eagles are nesting the generally close the area from Jan 1st. to July 1st.
jk

outdoorsman74
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Coolidge,Az

Re: Alamo Lake State Park

Post by outdoorsman74 » Mar 14 2010 10:30 am

Unfortunitely, Alamo Lake State Park is one of the 13 parks that is being closed this year.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 14 2010 12:02 pm

The whole thing is making me crazy. I hope there is some hope for the future of these parks.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

jeffalley
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: maricopa

Post by jeffalley » Mar 15 2010 10:52 am

Alamo Lake has been my favorite fishing spot since I was a wee lad. I am conflicted on the upcoming closure, however. I will sorely miss my 3-4 trips I take there every year, for sure (and the green chile burgers at wayside inn). However, the lake and surrounding desert has taken a beating the last couple years due to increased popularity and off road atv use. Theft of gear other problems have sprouted, and in general alamo has been suffering. I would be glad to suspend my trips for a couple years if the lake and surrounding habitat gets the chance to recover.

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Mar 15 2010 11:28 am

being closed, I suspect the beatings will continue unabated. :(
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

jeffalley
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: maricopa

Post by jeffalley » Mar 15 2010 4:21 pm

Sigh.. Your probably right, i am hoping at least a few of the people will see that the park is closed and not risk wasting a 3 hour drive. On the other hand, their won't be park rangers and honest park goers there to keep them in check. Does anyone know how (or if) they plan on keeping people from tearing up the desert or ignoring fish limits? Seems impossible to me, without a park staff and ranger. There are a million places to access the lake now, most of them having been man-made the last few years.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 04 2013 11:26 am

1) What's the current open/closed status? If it is "closed", does that mean "no services / no vehicular entry" or does it include "hikers will be arrested"?

2) How is Alamo Rd for 2WD normal clearance city sedan driving? (I assume it is gravel.)

edit: Heh, found out is paved: (dead link removed)

3) Is there a way to hike around the bottom of the dam, or must one hike around the northeast end of the lake? (e.g. Is there a fenced perimeter at the bottom one must skirt ...)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Feb 04 2013 1:03 pm

kingsnake wrote:1) What's the current open/closed status? If it is "closed", does that mean "no services / no vehicular entry" or does it include "hikers will be arrested"?

It's open, according my sources.

2) How is Alamo Rd for 2WD normal clearance city sedan driving? (I assume it is gravel.)

edit: Heh, found out is paved: (dead link removed)

3) Is there a way to hike around the bottom of the dam, or must one hike around the northeast end of the lake? (e.g. Is there a fenced perimeter at the bottom one must skirt ...)

4wd vehicles can go around the NE end, at least they used to, but the recent rainfall might've changed that option. You can hike over the dam. Just ignore the no trespassing signs.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Feb 04 2013 1:23 pm

Sweet. Perfect! :thanx:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 04 2013 3:12 pm

Yes, just walk down from the dam. It says no trespassing but the parkies told us that was only meant for vehicles. AND if you do the hike, please post it in the correct place on HAZ, under "B" for Bill Williams River Gorge:
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15933
For some stupid reason there are only 2 triplogs, mine and Sarae's. But a lot more HAZzers than that have been there, I believe.
(And Joe B. gets annoyed if you post hikes in the forum. So, go post your hike!)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Feb 04 2013 3:18 pm

Sure thing, though I am not hiking the gorge. I figure I would go benchmark hunting, since the area appears to be such a target rich environment. : rambo : ;)

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 04 2013 3:24 pm

azbackpackr wrote: It says no trespassing but the parkies told us that was only meant for vehicles.
I hate it when they handle things like that. Why not post "No Vehicles"? Or do they get to decide on case-by-case basis who is a trespasser and they expect us to decide on a case-by-case basis when a "No Trespassing" sign really counts?

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 05 2013 9:04 pm

@kingsnake
Just returned from there today. The Park is open, not sure if it has ever closed. It's paved all the way in, from Highway 60 at Wenden. Yes, you can hike down to the bottom of the dam, I actually talked to a Park employee this morning and he stated that there really is no problem with doing that and you can hike downriver as far as you like. Park at the Bill Williams Overlook and then just walk back to the main road and finish Hiking in, or there's a trail that follows the Lake towards the Dam from the Overlook. There's also a dirt road across from the Overlook turnoff that chained off as well, not sure where it goes...I have alot of options for when I go back...Didn't do any Hiking on this trip, next time....

The State Park itself is very nice, but pretty slow for this time of year. The Lake is very very low and the fishing is poor. The Drought has really hurt them the last couple of years. But the Campgrounds are nice and they have hot showers.... :y: If you decide against paying fees, you can disperse camp if you go in by Wayside. Looked to be a ton of RVs out there already, so I'm sure it's passable for just about any vehicle to get out there. :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 05 2013 9:14 pm

Did you check out the Wayside Inn? It's this little restaurant and RV/mobile home park on a dirt road east of the lake. Really a remote feeling out there. Way out in BFE, as the saying goes. Pretty cool place. I wouldn't mind spending a week out there, just hanging out. I like that area.

The restaurant has a lot of photos of people hunting elk in the nearby Arrastra Mountain Wilderness. When I inquired about the photos, I assumed they had been taken in the White Mountains or other high country area. But no, there are elk out in those mountains! I also heard they are not native to the area, and that Game and Fish would like to get rid of them all. I could be wrong, but there is a hunt season. It's hard to believe elk could survive out there.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 05 2013 9:31 pm

@azbackpackr
No, I didn't drive all the way in. I just know that's the road you want to take off of the main road to get to the dispersed camping at the Lake. Even the dispersed camping is going to be a ways off the water. The Lake looks like it's down a good 30 or more feet. Right now, everything is going to be "Lake View". There is talk at the Ranger Station...They may be lowering the Lake another 30 feet soon, to do some long overdue maintenance work on the Dam...No dates set, nothing is definite yet....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 06 2013 4:51 am

Interesting. I sure love western AZ in winter. It's a lot of fun to explore all over out there.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Feb 06 2013 6:23 pm

Pam!!! Yu should have said something earlier ... :)

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!

Post by kingsnake » Feb 06 2013 6:26 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Way out in BFE
I've actually been there. 300 foot dune in the middle of the Sahara. I put up a "Welcome to BFE, Pop. 3" (me and the other two guys on my radio team) sign and everything ... : rambo :
Last edited by kingsnake on Feb 07 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 07 2013 12:26 am

@kingsnake
Just got back yesterday Preston and there's very sketchy to no phone service out there, so couldn't keep up with HAZ on the tablet...When are you going???

Return to “Fishing”