Is anybody watching the eclipse?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Is anybody watching the eclipse?

Post by big_load » Dec 21 2010 1:15 am

I expect the viewing is good for most of you. It's not bad here, except for the icy wind. Here's a snap from just before totality.
fourth.JPG
About five minutes before total

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Is anybody watching the eclipse?

Post by chumley » Dec 21 2010 1:56 am

It's all cloudy in the valley. The clouds were thin enough to see the sliver earlier, but once it went total, you can't see anything. Sort of lame.
Profound observer

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Dec 21 2010 2:12 am

Ah this must be why the neighbors are making so much friggen noise... rarely do I wake up once asleep : rambo :
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load

Post by big_load » Dec 21 2010 2:14 am

@chumley
Too bad, the red glow of the shadow is my favorite part. My camera isn't quite up to capturing the color at such low levels, though.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 21 2010 6:56 am

I am in Eagar, and the moon was well-visible, since the clouds were scattered. However, I was exhausted, and fell asleep about 45 minutes before the darned thing started. Rats.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

tibber

Post by tibber » Dec 21 2010 7:37 am

I thot I would get a little shut-eye and then hopefully wake up to go out and see it. Amazingly enuf, somehow I awoke at 12:45 and ran outside to the backyard. I couldn't find the moon so I went out in the front yard, still couldn't find the moon. Well I knew it had to be there cuz I saw it at 11 so I ran into the backyard again and found it almost directly above me in the south sky. It was covered in clouds but it seemed like the clouds had a slightly pink hue to them.

And then I remembered I had my brothers binoculars so I ran inside and got those. I peered up toward the moon, those are some binoculars, and could see a little of the red cast. Satisfied after looking for a couple minutes, I decided to go in, take a nap on the couch and about 10 -15 minutes later, I went out and couldn't see the moon as I believe it was in the eclipse but it was hard to tell due to the cloud cover. I waited another 10 minutes and went back out to see that the moon was still there, whew! Enough of this, I gotta get some rest since I have to get up at 6. :zzz:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Dec 21 2010 10:10 am

Was thick clouds in Payson couldn't see the moon...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Sarae
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Sarae » Dec 21 2010 10:24 am

From my backyard in Tucson with my point 'n shoot. Not the best picture, but you get the idea. Pretty cool stuff :)
Attachments
lunar eclipse.jpg
at about 12:45am
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

big_load

Post by big_load » Dec 21 2010 11:38 am

@rae-raeYou got some good color!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Dec 21 2010 11:57 am

rae-rae wrote: Not the best picture, but you get the idea.
much better than my view in Tempe!
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Sarae

Post by Sarae » Dec 21 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks guys! I was definitely pleased that my frantic, last minute research on photographing the moon paid off :D
Attachments
lunar eclipse1.1.jpg
lunar eclipse1.2.jpg
lunar eclipse2.jpg

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 21 2010 7:44 pm

Cloudy in Vegas. :(
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

SkyIslander18
City, State: Small Town USA

Post by SkyIslander18 » Dec 21 2010 7:53 pm

Skies were clear at 1:00am over Safford and the moon looked just like rae-rae's first pic. Pretty cool!

sirena

Post by sirena » Dec 22 2010 12:05 am

I had a grand plan: to watch the eclipse from Granite Beach in the Grand Canyon. The soggy weather changed those plans, so plan B was to hike to the top of Table Mountain, spend the night and watch the eclipse. Right before the dam, 3 miles into the hike I realized that my boot was falling apart, the sole was flapping off and there was a big hole in the bottom of the boot. I was surprised- I hadn't worn boots in a while, since I switched to lighter shoes. But I wanted boots for the bushwhacking through shindaggers and such. They felt strange when I put them on, but I figured my feet just weren't used to them. I realized when my boot fell apart that I wasn't going to make it to the top of Table Mountain and I was really disappointed. Crushed is more like it- where was I going to watch the eclipse? I didn't want to stay near the dam on the Pima Canyon Trail, so I regrouped and came up with plan C: hike out, grab new shoes, drive over to Molino Basin and hike the Arizona Trail south to a place I've always wanted to spend the night- the saddle with a great view of Mica Mountain.

When I went to put my boots back on, I realized why they felt so weird- I had mistakenly grabbed the wrong boots! You see, I hiked the whole Arizona Trail in one pair of boots. When I was done with the trail, I felt kind of sentimental about them and instead of throwing them away, I stuck them in my shed. My husband had recently cleaned the shed and the boots migrated back to the house. My new boots look the same as my old boots from the top and I had grabbed the wrong pair. This lightened my mood instantly, how could I get upset over something so silly? I went to Molino Basin, hiked up and set up camp on a knoll next to the saddle. When I awoke after midnight, the sky was clear and I had an incredible view of the eclipse over my head right from my sleeping bag! If only I'd been prudent enough to read up on lunar photography...

Oh, and the boots final resting place? I thought it was fitting that they be thrown out on the Arizona Trail in the garbage cans at Molino Basin so I don't make that mistake again.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

big_load

Post by big_load » Dec 22 2010 12:23 am

@sirenaI'm glad you found a solution in time. :lol:
I hang onto four or five pairs of boots in various stages of decrepitude, but it hasn't caused me such trouble yet. The designated lawn-mowing pair is always the least reliable.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 22 2010 12:25 am

@sirena that's wild
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Sarae

Post by Sarae » Dec 22 2010 4:44 pm

sirena wrote:I had mistakenly grabbed the wrong boots!
I always worry about that since I keep multiple pairs of hiking shoes in the shoe rack and some of them don't have insoles. I'm so glad that you ended up with a great view!

Return to “Astronomy/Sky”