Astronomy Events 2013

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Astronomy Events 2013

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 27 2012 1:46 pm

Looks like there may be some great excuses to do another HAZ Sky Gazing Event.... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 31443.html
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Astronomy Events 2013

Post by beterarcher » Mar 14 2013 4:01 pm

I'm thinking that pan-STARRS will be about two hand widths below and one hand width North of the Moon tonight. Not as photogenic with out the Moon in the shot but pretty cool none the less.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 14 2013 10:04 pm

Holy :pk: This is a visual that really puts things in perspective.... :o

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130315.html
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 14 2013 10:22 pm

Cool!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 14 2013 10:25 pm

@Outdoor Lover
It didn't look like that here. :D

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 14 2013 10:48 pm

Get ready, the next one is next month..... Comet Lemmon http://astroguyz.com/2013/01/25/on-the- ... f6-lemmon/

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Mar 15 2013 7:58 am

My husband and I went out last night to see PAN-STARRS again. It was easily naked eye at 715. He got some more shots of it and will post later. The moon is getting brighter now and will start washing it out in the evening sky and high clouds are supposed to come in this weekend.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 30 2013 8:16 pm

The planetary alignment just after sunset is pretty cool. Tonight Mercury, Venus and Jupiter were lined up, in that order, with Mercury on the top. Saturn is also visible more in the eastern sky. You can also see Earth, if you can see down between your feet...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 30 2013 9:20 am

Aaaahhh, hindsight!
'Brighter than a full moon': The biggest star of 2013... could be Ison - the comet of the century
By late November it will be visible to the unaided eye just after dark in the same direction as the setting Sun. Its tail could stretch like a searchlight into the sky above the horizon. Then it will swing rapidly around the Sun, passing within two million miles of it, far closer than any planet ever does, to emerge visible in the evening sky heading northward towards the pole star. It could be an "unaided eye" object for months. When it is close in its approach to the Sun it could become intensely brilliant but at that stage it would be difficult and dangerous to see without special instrumentation as it would be only a degree from the sun.
Or it could basically melt and go away. But apparently there is a sliver of hope that it survived it's trip around the sun (despite being declared dead). Unfortunately astronomers in the US don't work on Thanksgiving weekend and the Europeans don't work on Saturday, so there hasn't been any new news since. In the meantime, apparently ISON is a zombie comet. :o
http://www.universetoday.com/106832/zom ... omers-say/
Profound observer

big_load

Post by big_load » Nov 30 2013 7:25 pm

It doesn't sound hopeful. There hasn't been a comet in my lifetime that lived up to the hype. Hale-Bopp probably came the closest, with Hyakutake perhaps second.
Battams said skilled astrophotographers might be able to capture a picture of the comet's Thanksgiving leftovers within a couple days, when ISON has moved farther away from the sun's glare. The rest of us are almost certainly out of luck, though there's always a chance the comet will pull off yet another death-defying stunt.
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/comet-is ... 2D11674277

Dschur

Post by Dschur » Dec 02 2013 4:13 pm

Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

big_load

Post by big_load » Dec 02 2013 8:23 pm

@Dschur
nice shots!

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 07 2013 8:57 pm

And...to round out 2013 in Astronomy...It's the Geminids! One of the best annual Meteor Shows out there....There will be a Full Moon, but this Shower is bright, so you may be able to see...Also best viewing may be from Moonset to Dawn early on the 13th and 14th....

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/geminids.cfm

Dschur

Post by Dschur » Dec 09 2013 5:00 pm

Don't miss comet Lovejoy out there can be seen in the morning sky before the sun comes up...
Dawn

Return to “Astronomy/Sky”