Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Next Week

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Next Week

Post by JimmyLyding » Aug 06 2016 11:55 pm

Anyone doing anything interesting for the Perseid meteor shower that's supposed to peak next weekend? Even though I live in northern California I still think about how easy it was to see celestial phenomena in Arizona.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Re: Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Next Week

Post by PatrickL » Aug 07 2016 1:38 pm

I'm going somewhere Fri/Sat to get away from the light pollution. Probably the desert west of Phoenix. I missed the last two or three showers so I'm looking forward to it.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Aug 07 2016 2:29 pm

Considering going up on Mt Graham, or else to White Sands NM ... though I am sure the view would be just fine from the hill above my house here in the Park. Just hoping for clear skies - haven't been many around here lately.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Peter_Medal
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Peter_Medal » Aug 07 2016 3:39 pm

My crew and I are night kayaking to Chumleys little find.... a beach head with a fire ring at Blue Ridge Reservior. Although one of my hike partners says he knows of a better spot which is about 1.2 miles from the drop. Either way, moon sets at 12:57am.... so 1am on should be pretty pumpking awesome.

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Aug 08 2016 8:04 am

The actually dates for the showers of 11th and the 12th Thursday night and Friday morning you will see a few more Friday night or Saturday but not like then.. when we cross Swift-Tuttle comet debris trail it will be on those two days and is the most concentrated then.. the morning hours since that is when Perseus is the highest. You only get half the amount because the rest are below the horizon. So if Javier doesn't mess with us on Friday morning could be a good one.. also the moon will be out of the sky at about midnight..
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 09 2016 8:54 am

@Dschur
Weather forecast is iffy. Might be pretty cloudy.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Astronomy/Sky”