Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
winterhk
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Has anybody seen a Jaguar in AZ?

Post by winterhk » Sep 22 2003 12:42 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the site. I've been searching about Jaguars in Arizona, but haven't found much. I live in Prescott and have hiked extensively since moving here and have seen some wonderful wildlife.

Last March, I saw a large cat run across the road along Oak Creek, North of Uptowne Sedona. I assumed it was a black mountain lion. Recently at the Heritage Park Zoo, the cat caretaker told me it was, without a doubt, a Jaguar and that they are much more populous than is estimated. He said there are two or three known in the Sups and have photographed numerous times close to the border.

Interestingly, I backpacked for two weeks tin the Sups in January and felt like I was being tracked the whole time. He had little doubt I was being followed by a mountain lion or Jaguar, as he has tracked them there. He reckoned it was a Jag because they will usually follow humans, however rarely are seen or come too close.

He also told me that in the thirties, the last Jaguar in Prescott was shot right in town and there is supposedly 40,000 acres currently closed for Jag breeding on Southern AZ. Does anyone else have any experience with these majestic big cats?

I'd really love to hear more stories or info from anyone who knows about any of this.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Sep 22 2003 1:04 pm

In the late 1970's I observed an all black mtn. lion near Devils Canyon East of Superior.
jk

Abe

Post by Abe » Sep 22 2003 7:35 pm

Hey winterhk.
Nay on seeing a Jag or mountain lion. Yet. :o Seen signs and heard stories about mountain lions in and around the Prescott area. Matter of fact, couple of years back while hiking Woodchute a hiker walking out said some other hikers seen the elusive big cat. Wish you luck on your quest.

pfredricks
City, State: Surprise, AZ

jaguar

Post by pfredricks » Sep 22 2003 8:06 pm

It seems like there was an article that I read recently about cats in Arizona. I was almost sure that it was in AZ highways, but, I looked thru my stack and couldnt find the article.
I seem to recall that the the last verifiable Jaguar spotting (or was it the last spotted jaguar sighting?) was over ten years ago , in the White Mtns area.
This is from memory, and by no means for sure
I know this though, if one attacks-you must fight back and hard.
-Pete
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

SUN_HIKER
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Jaguars in AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Sep 23 2003 9:43 am

Hi all;
Here is an article dated Feb. 6th, 2002 about Jaguar sighting in Arizona. I know some conservation groups are really excited about this, however I would prefer not to run across a Jaguar during my hikes, so I make sure if I hike in larger groups when doing the southern part of AZ.

Hope this helps.
SUN HIKER

SUN_HIKER
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Sep 23 2003 1:17 pm

OOps here is the link on Jaguars in AZ
http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/abc_us17.htm
SUN HIKER

Glitter
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Glitter » Sep 23 2003 2:06 pm

Great article SUN HIKER! I faintly remember reading an article about Jaguar sightings in the Coronado N.F. near Douglas. Personally haven't seen one yet but will be on the lookout.
Keep on truckin'
-Chris

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Sep 24 2003 8:57 am

I'd love to see a Jaguar. So far I've only seen tracks. My brother and I took my two sons on an overnighter on the San Pedro. The following morning we found large cat tracks about 60 feet from our camp. The prints were as large as my hand.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

plummer150
City, State: Va Beach, Va

re:

Post by plummer150 » Sep 25 2003 8:00 am

Besides all the Jags on I-10, nope; love to actually see one though.
"IRONMAN" cometh, hiketh, destroyeth

olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma » Sep 25 2003 10:02 pm

Wow - not sure about this one. I'd like to se one from a nice safe distance. That would be about all I could handle. My grandfather once went hunting for one back in the 40's - they spotted one but didn't get a shot off. He was still peeved about that.

I'm just sure I don't want to meet one that thinks I'm lunch. They say that the jaguar is the strongest of the big cats pound for pound. Also the fiercest. I don't want to find out first hand.

I can make a short list of a few things I never want to have a close encounter with while in the wilderness:

- me between a mother bear and her cub
- a pissed elk in rutting season
- a hungry mtn. lion or jaguar
- any type of grizzly bear
- any rabid animal
- a pissed wolverine
- naked hikers

That would about do it. I'm sure I could come up with a few more scenarios, but those definitely top my list.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Sep 27 2003 2:53 pm

I remember reading an article in Backpacker magazine about jaguars. I can't find the issue or find it on there site.

no avatar
Leva
City, State: Maricopa, AZ

Post by Leva » Sep 27 2003 6:43 pm

I debated not answering this one because every time I mention this anywhere, I get shot down, flamed, and generally told I'm lying, but what the hey ...

I saw one in the spring of 2002 -- after that winter with NO rain -- crossing a dirt road in Hidden Valley, south of Phoenix about 30-35 miles, and maybe four miles from the boundary with the South Maricopas. Haven't seen it, or any sign of it, since, so I figured it moved on ... It was spotted, not melanistic, and it stopped and stared at me, so I got a pretty good look. It was right in an area with plenty of houses, too. ("Hey, that's not a dog ...! Spots ... lion kitten ... no, NOT lion kitten! Spots in rosette pattern, too big for young lion, wrong proportions, WTF is that thing ... oh hollllleeee ... that's a jaguar!" *grin* And NO camera with me!)

It was probably dislocated due to drought. I have seen -- regularly -- what I assume to be mountain lion scrapes (mountain lion kills where the lion's scratched vegetation and dirt over the carcass) while riding my horse, but I do believe those to be lion scrapes and not jaguar sign as there are pretty regular lion sightings out here. The area supports at least one mt lion.

Leva

no avatar
winterhk

Post by winterhk » Sep 29 2003 11:42 am

Thanks for the great responses everyone! I know what you mean, Leva! Nobody ever believes me except the big cat keeper and tracker at the zoo here in Prescott.

When I first saw it, I thought I must have been dreaming! I've seen a melanistic Jag before on a preserve in Florida, but AZ?! When the guy at the zoo confirmed my thoughts, I got goosebumps! Fun thread everyone and thanks for the article SUN_HIKER.

Brian
"There are old climbers and bold climbers, but no old, bold climbers."

joebartels

Re: Has anybody seen a Jaguar in AZ?

Post by joebartels » Sep 03 2009 9:20 pm

winterhk wrote:without a doubt, a Jaguar and that they are much more populous than is estimated. He said there are two or three known in the Sups
man I gotta start reading the HAZ Forum more often
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
Ckzona
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by Ckzona » Sep 03 2009 10:51 pm

pfredricks I think I read the same article as you. Anyway down in tucson last weekend border patrol told me they saw a jaguar just south of Sierra Vista.

WInterhk I just am not sure about their being more than a couple jaguars in arizona. Just to much competition I think. They got the puma which is just slightly smaller, bobcat, bear, coyote, and wolf. But you never know maybe some of the black mountain lions people say are jaguar and a mountain lion crossed? If that is even possible?

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 04 2009 1:10 am

Puma, mountain lion, cougar, panther, and catamount are all the same animal. It is the fourth most dominant species in Arizona, as black bears, wolves, and jaguars are all "higher-up" on the food chain.

I've never read anything about crossbreeding between the two feline species, so I'd guess that there's no "crossed" mountain lions and jaguars.
Highway to hell

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 04 2009 6:45 am

Black jaguars are much much much more uncommon than a regular Jaguar. The only really confirmed Jaguar sightings are down south. I would be skeptical of any Jaguar sightings as far north as Sedona right now. Maybe at some point they will roam that far north again, but I'd be surprised if they did now (or as far back as 2003). And I'd say the chances of a melanistic Jaguar in Arizona anywhere, let alone as far north as Sedona, is approaching 0.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

no avatar
Ckzona
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by Ckzona » Sep 04 2009 8:42 am

CHumley is the mountain lion really that far down of the most dominant species? Well if you think about it most of the state does not have wolves and jaguars so that would make it #2. Then the bears are not in the desert so that would make them #1 in most areas.(except if that area contains a jaguar)

Then with Pagerob I agree with him. I just dont think there are any Jaguar north of Phoenix or even Tucson for that matter.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 04 2009 10:56 am

I wasn't speaking of specific areas, just what can be found in Arizona. Depending on where you are in AZ, the mountain lion may be the #1, #2, #3, or #4 most dominant. Humans not included.
Highway to hell

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 04 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah, well I don't know, I saw a black jaguar on the 101 just the other day...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Fauna”