Big Horn Sheep

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Big Horn Sheep

Post by Nighthiker »

The AZ Game and Fish Dept. had announced that they introduce bighorn sheep in the Mineral Mtn. area. I enquired as to location but have not received a reply. I have observed bighorn near Picketpost Mtn. (near Superior) and the Hewit Canyon area in the Superstitions. I was thinking maybe near Martinez Canyon or White Canyon Wilderness.
Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Re: Big Horn Sheep

Post by Shi »

In response to Nighthiker's reply: This is sooooo cool! I've seen 8 big horn sheep in Az. so far, on 3 different occations and they are amazing animals and climbers. Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb
jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by jmangum »

I saw my first desert bighorn when I was 13 and hiking the Grand Canyon with my dad. We came around a bend and there was a huge ram perched on a rock. Majestic!
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin
ajcanable
City, State: Apache Jct., Az.

Post by ajcanable »

I saw three on my way out to Peralta trail head a while back! Right by the road. My buddy Hector even managed to video tape them as they calmly walked away. It was very Cool!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
GeorgAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Bighorn

Post by GeorgAZ »

I saw one right on the side of the mountain above the main trail at Boyce Thompson last fall.He just calmly gazed down at us below staring at him. Very cool!! 8)
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur »

I have seen 2 in the Grand Canyon one was on the Road to Hermits Rest in the Winter time when you can drive your cars to the point. And he was munching right along side of the road. Some of the most beautiful horns on him. And a female at The Tip Off on the Kaibab trail.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
no avatar
J Cude
City, State: Kearny, AZ

Re: Big Horn Sheep

Post by J Cude »

In response to Nighthiker's reply: Yes, I heard the same thing. A friend of mine said he'd heard about 16 were released in the White Canyon area. And he'd heard that on the day they released these sheep, they actually saw 3 perched up on the mountain watching the activity. Up until that time they believed that the population had be eliminated. I've been out there a number of times and haven't seen any big horn but I'm sure watching for them now! I saw a herd of about 19 big horn sheep in the White Mountains at Three Forks, right on the side of the road. They stood still for about 15 minutes and let us get about 30 feet from them and take photos. That was so exhilarating!!
J Cude
whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam »

We an into 3 of them in between Mooney and Beaver Falls along Havasu Creek. One of then let us get within 5', he then moved over let us pass and watched us go up the trail!
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

J Cude, Welcome to HAZ. A couple of weeks ago I rode from Kearny to Hayden and back on my bicycle. I forgot to check, is the campground open at the lake ? Regarding White Canyon, get a chance hike and explore the drainage south of Copper Butte (a portion is private) to the Gila River.

Return to “Fauna”