Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
0hurricanes
City, State: Prescott, AZ

snakes and scorpions oh my!

Post by 0hurricanes » May 07 2006 3:59 pm

Ok, the time is getting closer for us to move out to Arizona. My wife has a concern about your wonderful outdoors and indoors too, and that is how often do you see rattlesnakes and scorpions. I know this depends on where you live (Prescott is our destination), and where you happen to be walking about, but was just curious what all of you thought. I have lived in FL for 30 years and have only seen 1 rattlesnake ( a pygmy rattler) and that was 27 years ago. About the same amount of time for a scorpion also. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » May 12 2006 5:29 pm

I consider myself lucky to have seen about seven rattlers. Startled yes but only started sweating once when I realized it was a mohave. Even after that initial shock it turned out to be more interesting then scarry.

Personally I've witnessed the recluse to do more damage. Had a friend get bit by his eyebrow. His face swelled up an inch thick in under an hour and he started to go blind. His mom rushed him to the emergency room and they gave him the option of a six week cure or a one week cure. Not sure who would opt for the six week but anyhow he came out okay.

More commonly saw scorpions growing up in Oklahoma as a kid then in Arizona. There was always a spider or scorpion encounter in the house every few months. (we lived by a lake) Once while towing my sister in a wheel barrow on my mini-bike she jumped when she saw a scorpion in the corner. When she jumped, about twenty babies jumped off it's back! I still get chills thinking about it.

Once saw a water moccasin in our back yard pond while floating on an air mattress. Talk about adrenalin, I'd rather be in the "harsh" desert any friggin day!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » May 12 2006 7:52 pm

Nice new avatar Joe!

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » May 12 2006 8:42 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:Nice new avatar Joe!
Interesting, but a little too "Alfred Hitchcock'y" for my tastes. Now I'm worried about too many birds in the sky. :o

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but I like the old one better.

Change is good, you go first. Dilbert. :lol:

OOPS are we off topic again? Joe you need to add an off-topic emoticon or tag :D

no avatar
0hurricanes

Post by 0hurricanes » May 15 2006 12:49 pm

Ok superstition guy! Ever since you mentioned our alligators, 3 women have been killed within a week! Like I said you won't see me near fresh water in Fla. Between the hurricanes and everything else going on down here, I can't wait to see a rattler and scorpion!!

Jeff

Abe

Post by Abe » May 15 2006 5:33 pm

azbackpackr wrote:The worst animal around Prescott is the large and dangerous Humveeous Californicus.
:lol: I love it!

Don't see rattlers often, last one I seen was last year in Sycamore Canyon Wilderness. Made me jumped as usual when it buzzed. Scropions on the other hand; well, in our home I've step over 'em a time or two early in the morning as I staggered to the kitchen for my first cup of coffee. We have our priorities and coffee is it; besides, I generally get a container of some kind to catch the little bugger and take it outside.

Altitude sickness? Never heard of it in Preskit. We're only 5000 feet give or take a couple of hundred. Now, Humphrey Peaks! I heard it's possible there, but most folks who get hurt up there is because of lightning strikes
during monsoon. Oh ya.
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 16 2006 9:33 am

So I hear Preskitt is Home of the Scorpion. Where I live it's skunks and spiders. The spiders are indoors, mostly benign, but we do have a healthy population of black widows. The skunks are mostly outside, but it's rather common for your dog to get "skunked" at least once a year. I had to get rid of my chicken flock, because the skunks came into the yard looking for the eggs, and sometimes they even killed the chickens. At least we think it may have been skunks that did that. Now that we have no chickens we don't smell the skunks as often.

So, your dog noses you at three in the a.m. to be let out. You let him out, and a few minutes later he wants back in. You open the door, he rushes past you, reeking of skunk, jumps on the bed, sits on your pillow. So much for sleeping the rest of the night! This has happened to us TWICE in the past 5 years!

Abe

Post by Abe » May 16 2006 3:58 pm

azbackpackr wrote:So I hear Preskitt is Home of the Scorpion.
:) We have a few. I've always liked what Edward Abbey wrote;

"Arizona is the native haunt of the scorpin, the solpugid, the sidewinder, the tarantula, the vampire bat, the conenose kissing bug, the vinegarroon, the centipede, and three species of poisonous lizards: namely, the Gila monster, the land speculator and the real estate broker."

Skunks are fun to watch early in the morning as they scamper down the street in your headlights trying to get away from you.

Naturally, I would be remissed if I did not mention the ocassional javelinas visiting neighborhoods and having breakfast with the gardens that can be plentiful.

Black bears and mountian lions do meandering through every once in a while stopping to get a helping of garbage and maybe a pet to slate their appetite before continuing their journey through the area.

Ya,,,,,no big deal for those of us living in the Preskit area. Much like you all in your neck of the woods, heh?
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

AZHikr4444
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by AZHikr4444 » May 16 2006 8:59 pm

Yeah down here in Tempe, most of the dangerous critters hang out at the Circle K.

:rollH:
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » May 16 2006 9:25 pm

Jeff,

OK I won't comment any more about your alligators. But have you heard about our ring tail cat camp robbers! Now thats what you really have to look out for in Arizona....
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

no avatar
0hurricanes

Post by 0hurricanes » May 17 2006 2:35 pm

SG..the news people really have there hands full this year. Another alligator was at a womens house and wouldn't let her out! And according to the news it was knocking on her door with it's tail, cop shot it and it ran away to a pond!! I thought californicus whatevercus, they were are the wildlife to watch, here it's the northernucus numerorous. And Second Hand Lions is one of our favorite movies, my favorite scene.. the bar scene when he teachs the kids a lesson!

Jeff

Return to “Fauna”