Linked Areas none
AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Bears In The News

Post by AZLOT69 » Jun 24 2010 9:01 am

Eight Foraging Bears Killed In Tahoe

Posted: 9:44 am PDT June 11, 2010
Updated: 10:02 am PDT June 11, 2010

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. -- The heavy snow and lingering winter conditions in the Sierra are forcing black bears into the valleys around Lake Tahoe, where an unusually large number of them have had to be put to death in recent weeks.

Nevada Department of Wildlife biologist Carl Lackey says officials already killed eight bears this spring, compared with a typical death toll of just one or two by this time.

"I attribute that to the late winter weather conditions," he said.

Unlocked food or trash lures the bears into trouble in cars and homes. Adding to the problem, Lackey said, is Washoe County has no ordinance requiring bear-proof trash receptacles.

Hot spots are centered near South Lake Tahoe, Tahoma and Highway 89 near the Squaw Valley and Alpine ski resorts.

Cristen Langner, a wildlife biologist for California Fish and Game, said the California side of the Tahoe basin has had three permitted bear deaths this year, which is not uncommon for this time. Each of the deaths was also a result of residents not locking up food trash or food, she said.

Langner echoed Lackey's words of caution and said residents should always be bear-aware and keep doors locked and food secure.

"The big thing is that every time these bears are successful (finding stored trash or food) it just reinforces that behavior," she said.

Ann Bryant, president of the Homewood-based BEAR League, said she's concerned about the death toll.

"I'm pretty shocked because it's only going to get worse as the season goes on," she said.

Bryant said based on calls, sightings and onsite observations, the BEAR League has observed more newborns this year than any other, as well as an increased number of sightings and conflicts.

Usually bears aren't spotted out of hibernation until May or June, Bryant said, but she's seen them as early as March and April this year.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Bears In The News

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 26 2014 10:29 am

Also Bear in mind that some of the those Photos are not in Arizona....I see lots of Sign including fresh, steaming scat every once in awhile, but I've still never actually seen one in Arizona...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Nov 26 2014 1:50 pm

@Jason Cleghorn
Oddly enough I have seen three in only a short time in AZ and they have all been in the Supes, which is somewhat strange considering all the bear hot spots I have hiked. No real great pictures, one was really on the run, thanks to a pretty good chase by Mr. Blanco ;)

none of these pics are calendar worthy!

http://hikearizona.com/photo=365766

http://hikearizona.com/photo=435632

PhilMW
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by PhilMW » Nov 26 2014 3:43 pm

I've seen a few Bears, though it's been a few years since my last sighting. I saw one at Reavis charging up a hill which was pretty cool. The other's I've seen were in the White Mountains...one of which got in our campsite at night. :scared:

They are pretty awesome to see.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Nov 26 2014 4:03 pm

I see evidence of nearby bears on about half my trips, but have only seen bears on perhaps 1% of my trips. I wonder if bears have seen me a good percentage more than I've seen them? So far these have all been "good" bear encounters - after seeing each other we both tried to keep out of the other's way.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 26 2014 4:23 pm

@nonot No doubt. The critters -- snakes are a great example -- are all around us, all the time, we just don't notice them unless they rattle. (Or we are gummo. :D )
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 26 2014 9:48 pm

I was sniffed by a bear while in my sleeping bag one time, but not in Arizona! (It was in Jasper National Park, Alberta.) I've seen bears maybe 8 times in the White Mountains.

Oh. You want the story? Yes, I was scared. Yes, I played dead. No, I didn't poop my pants. Yes, I slept in the car the rest of the night. The bear sniffed my sleeping bag, then my hair, then my face. It was dark. It was not a grizzly bear. The car was a 1968 VW bug. The cooler full of food was in the back seat, but the bear did not try to get into the car. I slept in the front seat.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Nov 27 2014 5:13 am

@azbackpackr If it had been a grizzly, the VW Bug would have been the cooler full of food ... ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 27 2014 8:32 am

kingsnake wrote:@azbackpackr If it had been a grizzly, the VW Bug would have been the cooler full of food ... ;)
Eeeyew! Well, that was 40 years ago this year, and I'm still around!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 02 2014 8:47 am

Jason Cleghorn wrote:How often does HAZ see bears here in AZ, and where?
There are plenty around to see. I can't think of many places in AZ I haven't seen one, especially when I'm out alone. You can find them at higher elevations in the Supes, in a lot of the mountains around Tucson. (That's one reason there are designated campsites with bear boxes in Saguaro National Park. I have a photo of one with a good bear paw imprint; sometimes they slap the doors to make them pop open.) There are plenty of bears in the Galiuros, and almost everywhere that's forested in Rim country. The Sierra Ancha typically has more bear scat per trail mile than almost anywhere I've been.

Regarding the recent NJ bear fatality, it was revealed last week that the victim had at least five photos on his phone of the bear getting progressively closer. They were obtained through an Open Records request.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 02 2014 7:53 pm

The Eagle wrote:
Jason Cleghorn wrote:How often does HAZ see bears here in AZ, and where?
Photos by month from HAZer's w/ Locations.
http://hikearizona.com/dexcoder=446
Outdoor Lover wrote:Also Bear in mind that some of the those Photos are not in Arizona....
fyi: added yesterday
- when you click on the map in a label page ( such as the link above ) there are options in the map header to sort by month and / or state
- here are Black Bears labeled for Arizona http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=3657 ( I clicked "Create Link" after sorting as desired )
- note it remembers the photo selected too, naturally I choose wisely
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 03 2014 6:35 am

@joe bartels

Thanks Joe! I'm secretly torn between wanting to see one (some) and not wanting to...
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 03 2014 8:41 am

In most places in Arizona a bear will take one look at you and run away. I wouldn't worry too much about them. The bears around Hannagan Meadow, for instance, tend to be extremely shy, and yet that is where I have seen the most bears in Arizona.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 09 2014 3:14 pm

Yesterday was the first day of the week-long bear season in NJ. Somebody bagged a 693-lb bear about six miles from me. That's pretty big, but I don't think it's in the top ten for NJ. The biggest was 829 lbs a few years ago, also within 10 miles. There's a big nor'easter going, which will probably mess with any statistical conclusions about interaction between hunting regulations and population trends, but supposedly the population leveled off last year or the year before, and hunters are having progressively less success. Analysis is also complicated by a downward trend in permit applications, as the novelty wanes.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 22 2014 8:25 am

Bear spotted in Queen Creek
...wandering around a field near Pecos Road and Ellsworth in Queen Creek
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-southe ... s-on-scene
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 22 2014 8:46 am

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2014 8:48 am

That one's a healthy looking beast. :)
Profound observer

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 22 2014 9:10 am

Maybe he read Bobp's recent post and was looking for a hiking partner. :?
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2014 9:20 am

The bear is in the old GM Proving Ground, only 12 miles from the Superstitions. But it's more likely it came from farther south, toward Queen Valley, which is 18-20 miles away. Neither is a long distance for a bear, and it is open desert all the way. The only obstacles are Hwy 60 (which isn't really an obstacle) and the CAP canal. There are 3 bear-worthy bridge crossings of the canal in a 10 mile stretch going north from the Queen Creek drainage toward Mesa. If it was on the east side of the canal, I would say let it be. But on the west side, it would be more difficult for it to find one of those three canal crossings to get back toward the mountains.
Profound observer

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 22 2014 9:22 am

Maybe I'm just a nature loving hippie, but I always wonder when I read these stories why the agencies that are tasked with protecting animals always seem so concerned about either shooting the animals (as in the case of the cougar in Kentucky last week)... 'there hasn't been a cougar in Kentucky since 1873, so let's kill it!', or so hell bent on relocating them. I understand if the bear was in Fashion Square that you have to do something, but this bear appears to be in a field (alfalfa?) so unless its one of those urban area farms such as exists here in Phoenix, just leave animals alone. :SB:
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 22 2014 10:58 am

@Jason Cleghorn
chumley wrote:If it was on the east side of the canal, I would say let it be. But on the west side, it would be more difficult for it to find one of those three canal crossings to get back toward the mountains.
I agree...Trust me Jason, if the Bear stays where it is and can't find a way back over the Canal and back to it's more Native Habitat, then eventually it will end up in a more Populated area than it is now and they may not have the Luxury at that point of actually using a Tranq. Way better to relocate it now...Safer, less stressful, and chances are very high for a good outcome...that may not be the Case later if they do nothing...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Fauna”