Rattlesnake photography

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
NatureKopelli
City, State: Arizona

Rattlesnake photography

Post by NatureKopelli »

I am interested in taking photos of rattlesnakes someday. I was wondering what would be a safe distance? Has anyone ever been bit while photographing a rattlesnake? Would using some kind of shield or blind to photograph through make it less likely the rattlesnake would know I was there? I should probably have more fear of doing this than I do, but hopefully, that fear will happen once I really see a live one in the wild and keep me safe. Any tips would be helpful.
"To me, a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug." ~Helen Keller
"You have to touch a tree and feel it..." ~Dr Alex Shigo...Touch Trees! Hug Trees!
Lizards make me smile :)
Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Rattlesnake photography

Post by Trishness »

kevinweitzel75 wrote:Dam, hes just a baby! Cute little thing, but wont want to find him in my backyard (If I had one).
It's the little ones that you have to watch out for. I read somewhere their venom is more concentrated than that of an adult.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding »

I was under the impression that juvenile rattlers are more dangerous because they don't know how to limit the amount of venom they inject. I'd love to know, and perhaps some of our resident herpers can chime in.
I'm actually more worried about rattlers here in California than I ever was in Arizona because many of the trails here are single-tracks running through tall grass. However, I haven't seen a single buzzworm in the 14 months I've lived here.
paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard »

Jim Lyding wrote:I haven't seen a single buzzworm in the 14 months I've lived here.
I've been hiking around AZ pretty much all my life, and I've seen more rattlers in urban areas that I have in the wilds. But I'm sure they see me.... :o
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

Yes, I have heard that juveniles don't know how to limit their venom.

A lot of the people who get bitten deserve it: they were messing with the snake. (Mostly young guys, of course!)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid »

azbackpackr wrote:Yes, I have heard that juveniles don't know how to limit their venom.
See my April 16th post in this thread...
CannondaleKid wrote:the older/larger the rattler the less likely it will inject venom in defense. They save their venom for prey, and as I mentioned before, when it sees your large heat signature, it KNOWS you aren't its prey, and knows it can't swallow you whole, so it just wants you to go away.
So in general, speaking about the juveniles, they have yet to learn the habit to hoard venom for their true prey.
CannondaleKid
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

The juvenile humans who mess with them have not learned yet, either.

Whenever you hear someone say, "Hold my beer and watch this!" you know an accident is about to happen! :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau »

I wouldn't call those 'accidents' so much as 'future opportunities for comedy and Darwinism'

=)
haggster
City, State: Farmington, UT

Post by haggster »

Jim Lyding wrote:I was under the impression that juvenile rattlers are more dangerous because they don't know how to limit the amount of venom they inject. I'd love to know, and perhaps some of our resident herpers can chime in.
In a previous rattlesnake thread (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6355&p=74041&hilit ... ake#p74041), Canyonram posted a pdf study that said larger rattlesnakes do inject more venom than younger rattlesnakes and the younger ones are capable of metering their venom. Interesting article.
writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots »

Thoreau wrote:I wouldn't call those 'accidents' so much as 'future opportunities for comedy and Darwinism' =)
Or at the very least 'examples that justice does wander among us'
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

Here's a Video for you all....This is not mine, but it's pretty cool to watch....The Rattlesnake lost....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

How freekin bad can one be?
Barfing up a rattlesnake and then goin....gee you aint dead time for some serious whoop @ss.... :o
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle »

:o
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@Alston Neal
@coanbru
Kinda what I thought...Holy Cow!!! Pretty cool they got it on Video.... :sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

Was that a red racer?
If so, anybody want to lay odds on him versus the honey badger?
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle »

@Alston Neal
Honey Badger Don't Care.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@Alston Neal
Yes, a Red Racer vs a small Diamondback along the Salt River....
@coanbru
:sl:
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

@coanbru
Honey badger is a wuss, seriously how bad can a boy badger be when his first name is Honey?
Show me a vid of one barfing up a live rattlesnake and "THEN" kill it.
I rest my case.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ »

I watched two roadrunners attack and kill a buzzworm, but this is also really special. I sure am glad I don't have to work that hard for an Egg McMuffin - or for points on Pixel Trivia. :sl:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

Outdoor Lover wrote:The Rattlesnake lost....
That's painfully obvious from the moment you push play :)
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@beterarcher
Not really! He put up a helluva fight when the Racer puked him back up..... :sl:

Return to “Fauna”