Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Outlander
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tolleson, AZ

Lightning Bugs in Arizona

Post by Outlander » Jun 18 2011 8:08 pm

I saw about 20 lightning bugs, or fireflies, in the western Matazals last week. They are very common back East, but I rarely see them here in AZ. Have you guys run across any lightning bugs during your hikes?

The Mazzy bugs put on a nice little show for about five minutes, just before dark. I am not sure what species of lightning bugs they were, but the color of light was a red-orange glow, unlike the lightning bugs in Indiana, that emit a green light. They can be found in the lower section of Sheep Creek, near the trail to Copper Camp. Water flows from several springs in the area that create a riparian habitat/overgrown jungle, replete with fish, birds, bears....and lightning bugs.

Do we natives of the great state of Arizona call them 'fireflies', or do we call them 'lightning bugs'??? Both are pretty cool names; I am partial to 'lighting bug'.

no avatar
ljcygnet
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson Area

Re: Lightning Bugs in Arizona

Post by ljcygnet » Aug 01 2017 8:23 pm

I've seen them twice in AZ -- once in Sycamore Canyon E. of Clarkdale, and once in Chevelon Canyon, at Durfee Crossing.

I live in the Payson area and I've never seen a glow worm once, and I'm outside at dusk every night. I'll have to keep my eyes open. Didn't know such a thing existed. Can I ask what elevation/type of terrain you guys are seeing them at?

chulavista
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Aug 02 2017 6:37 am

I saw a glow worm in my yard a couple of weeks ago...see them quite frequently in the summer monsoon season. I live at about 2200', desert terrain but along the San Pedro. My back yard has grass, and it stays watered.
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Aug 14 2017 3:01 pm

Have seen them in my backyard in Payson.. not recently a few years ago..
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Return to “Fauna”