Invasive Species

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Invasive Species

Post by chumley » Nov 03 2011 9:54 am

So I read this article yesterday on a 16-foot Burmese Python devouring a deer in the Florida Everglades ... yes, a deer :o

The article says that the python has the potential to alter the ecosystem because it is non-native and has no natural predator in the Everglades. (Which makes me wonder what it's natural predator is in Myanmar —formerly Burma?)

Anyway, it made me wonder about Arizona's own invasive fauna. The only one I can really think of is the stupid crawfish in some of our creeks. And I think there's a problem with different species of fish in the White Mtns that are taking over for the Apache Trout. Are there any others of note? (besides cattle, obviously).

Here's the article if you're interested:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/01/us/florida-python-deer/
Attachments
cnn_python_article.pdf
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Highway to hell

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Invasive Species

Post by azdesertfather » Nov 06 2011 7:06 pm

azdesertfather wrote:Speaking of invasive species, I'm organizing a group of volunteers together on Saturday morning in Tucson (9-noonish) to pull bufflegrass for the city. I asked where they wanted to target, and this was the area they are asking for.

If anyone is interesting in helping, feel free to PM me and let me know...
Had a great day with others at Grace Community Church/Tucson and Sonoran Desert Weedwackers! Cleared out Christmas Wash in Tucson. Great group to volunteer with ... can see their efforts here: http://www.buffelgrass.org
Attachments
IMG_2213.JPG
some of the day's volunteers pose next to the buffelgrass booty
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

burntlizard
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by burntlizard » Nov 24 2011 10:32 pm

Muscles - They ask everyone to wash down their boats. The ad campaign is called "don't move a muscle"
The non-native mollusks are causing big problems!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Nov 25 2011 10:34 am

Yes, they absolutely are.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “Fauna”