Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Arizona's creepiest insects

Post by chumley » Dec 02 2011 1:45 pm

So I just read an article about the world's largest insect, the Giant Weta, which lives in New Zealand. Yeah, it looks absolutely crazy! And it eats carrots.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... mouse.html

But let's get this back to Arizona: For the purposes of this discussion, I'll allow arachnids to be included, despite not being insects. We've obviously got plenty of scorpions. And of course big, hairy tarantulas. I personally don't care much for things that fly that I don't expect to fly. Such as 2-inch long sewer roaches. On the ground they don't bother me. But those pumpkins can FLY! :o

There's also a huge black beetle I've seen on my house at night before. I don't know what it is, but it's palm-sized and also can fly. That thing is bigger than some birds I've seen. Also not a fan.

Other least-favorite Arizona critters?
Highway to hell

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Re: Arizona's creepiest insects

Post by kingsnake » Dec 02 2011 1:47 pm

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :o
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 02 2011 2:03 pm

@chumley That would be a Palo Verde Beetle and I hate them. They usually don't fly until you are right next to them and I hate them. I've heard that they are underground in the Palo Verde roots for 7 years before they emerge, but I don't think that's entirely true. They do seem to be more present in some years versus others.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

BEEBEE
Hamopelli
City, State: Mesa AZ

Post by BEEBEE » Dec 02 2011 2:16 pm

Giant Centipedes those suckers can move to
"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 02 2011 2:56 pm

Vinegaroons, I don't know why but they gross me more than scorps.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 02 2011 3:05 pm

Alston Neal wrote:Vinegaroons, I don't know why but they gross me more than scorps.
I know why! Just the name suggests that it might be edible! :o Although Vinegar Cookies don't sound that good either. :yuck:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Dec 02 2011 3:18 pm

I've lived in AZ all my life and can honestly say I've never seen a Vinegaroon. Until thi spost, I had never even haerd of them. They do look pretty dicey.
My vote goes to the Bark Scorpion, only because I've been stung by one. I swear, if Satan ever shows his true form, he will look just like a Bark Scorpion!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 02 2011 3:35 pm

paulhubbard wrote:I've lived in AZ all my life and can honestly say I've never seen a Vinegaroon. Until this post, I had never even haerd of them. They do look pretty dicey.
Ditto. WTF is that thing? I just looked up and apparently it is non-venomous ... but can/does it bite people?
Highway to hell

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 02 2011 3:44 pm

chumley wrote:Ditto. WTF is that thing? I just looked up and apparently it is non-venomous ... but can/does it bite people?
Looks like a cross between a Scorpion and a Beetle! Apparently it's major means of defense is that it emits vinegar! Apparently some people may be allergic to this type of vinegar so handling is not recommended. It is in the Arachnid family and is considered a type of Whip Scorpion, but it does not have a stinger! I guess Arachnid enthusiasts love to have them in their collection, lol! They are nocturnal, which I guess explains why we probably never see them....

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2011 6:18 pm

Trivia time: Do you know of a place in Arizona named after the Vinegaroon? (I do!)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 02 2011 7:10 pm

I don't like June Bugs. Freaky buggers. Also, mosquitos.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2011 7:23 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Trivia time: Do you know of a place in Arizona named after the Vinegaroon? (I do!)
Ok, I can't wait any longer. Here's a map. You figure it out: http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=1258
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Dec 02 2011 7:25 pm

Camel Spider. I shrieked in a very embarrassing manner when I encountered one of those guys run past me at night in the desert near Tombstone last year.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Dec 02 2011 8:51 pm

Gotta go with the tarantula hawk. They are beautiful and fascinating to watch, but they hurt beyond belief if you get stung. They are in fact considered to be among the most painful insect stings in the entire world. Yikes!
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

fricknaley
Yikesapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Dec 02 2011 9:12 pm

@autumnstars
i had one of those get stuck in my hair the last time i hiked romero pools in the dark/dawn hours of the summer... :o
hi

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 02 2011 9:28 pm

azpride wrote:Camel Spider. I shrieked in a very embarrassing manner when I encountered one of those guys run past me at night in the desert near Tombstone last year.
Oh, the sounds I would make if I saw one. Would have to change my pants as well.

oceanwithin
Kellipelli
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Dec 02 2011 11:27 pm

Ackk! I think I am going to have nightmares about giant zombie carrot-eating grasshoppers after seeing that first photo!!!!!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 03 2011 4:32 am

But I think they're SOOOO cute! ;)

P.S. No one seemed too interested in my Arizona place name trivia quiz. So, since you are so not interested, I will tell you anyway. It's Vinegarroon Wash. (Note spelling, which Wikipedia says is one of two correct spellings.) It is a really big wash on the east side of the Muggins Mountains, not in the designated wilderness area. When I went backpacking in that area 3 years ago, we started the hike on the west side of the range in my friend's front yard in Dome Valley. On the second day, we got up to the top of a hill and looked down at Vinegarroon Wash, but we didn't hike down to it. That is some dry, rough country out there, but interesting. http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=1258

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Dec 03 2011 5:07 am

Is it weird if I find the giant carrot eating cricket a little cute? Give him a cane and green top hat...hmmm. Did Walt Disney ever visit Australia? Place/Name Trivia answer is Vinegarroon Wash (The map and your previous post helped AzBackpackr). Do I win anything? I am not sure about creepy critters, the Az Giant Centipede looks pretty menacing. The only bug that has forced me off trail is a swarm of Blister Beetles those clowns fly for pumpkin and if they land on you things can get messy.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 03 2011 5:50 am

Ok, WmnWendi, that's a new one on me. Blister Beetles? Sounds like the name of a punk rock band.

Vinegarroon Wash looks like it would be a place worth visiting if you are four-wheeling in the Yuma area. Or mtn. biking. I used to like mtn. biking those desert roads.

Do you win anything? I'll have to think about it. How about a shadow box display with a dead vinegaroon stick-pinned in it, to hang in the front hallway. Aunt Mildred would really like that when she comes to visit you.

Return to “Fauna”