Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Arizona's creepiest insects

Post by chumley » Dec 02 2011 1:45 pm

So I just read an article about the world's largest insect, the Giant Weta, which lives in New Zealand. Yeah, it looks absolutely crazy! And it eats carrots.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... mouse.html

But let's get this back to Arizona: For the purposes of this discussion, I'll allow arachnids to be included, despite not being insects. We've obviously got plenty of scorpions. And of course big, hairy tarantulas. I personally don't care much for things that fly that I don't expect to fly. Such as 2-inch long sewer roaches. On the ground they don't bother me. But those pumpkins can FLY! :o

There's also a huge black beetle I've seen on my house at night before. I don't know what it is, but it's palm-sized and also can fly. That thing is bigger than some birds I've seen. Also not a fan.

Other least-favorite Arizona critters?
Highway to hell

SkyIslander18
Lucky Catchapelli
City, State: Small Town USA

Re: Arizona's creepiest insects

Post by SkyIslander18 » Dec 03 2011 8:28 am

For me it's the Praying Mantis, those things just creep me out! Also wasps, they don't really creep me out, but I get stung every year by those and Pumpkin hate them!

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Dec 03 2011 8:58 am

My wife wants to take that giant cricket home, get it a leash and a collar and rub its belly. Wouldn't bother me as long as its not a spider or want to sleep at the end of the bed. :D
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Dec 03 2011 9:26 am

azbackpackr wrote: Blister Beetles?
Think Spanish Fly, this is a close, and more renowned cousin. My first contact with the black bodied red headed version known simply as Blister Beetle was at Dreamy Draw. It was March before last and the Brittle Bush was in full bloom and all over every bush and every bloom, and in the air too were the described beetles. I was instantly intrigued. We got to the cement walk there and some guy on a bike suddenly dropped the bike and started flailing, yelling "What are these!". My first thought was that I didn't know and my second was "Drama Queen". Not realizing his honest distress we kept walking. At one point reached my hand out to offer a perch to one when Wendi swatted my hand down "Don't, you don't know what that is". Shortly after that a small area of my hand began to acquire a cool tingly feeling. Later after the hike I learned what this bug was and the nasty blisters that result with direct or indirect contact with these little buggers. If you come in contact with these buggers don't rub your eyes and don't eat or stick your fingers in your mouth until after you wash your hands. I have personally seen this variety and the Iron Cross Blister beetle. Recently a HAZer(Juliachaos?) posted a photo of the Ash-Grey Blister Beetle, Equestrians should watch for these in their horse feed as they are partial to Barley, and they can kill your horse if ingested. If you're a survivalist this is one bug you need to avoid. I still feel bad for ignoring that guy's obvious distress but at least next time I will be able to tell them what it is, and perhaps advise that giving himself a flailing full body pat-down would not be recommended. :(

PS: Did somebody tell you was I was a framer? Or did Frame-opeli give it away?
AZWaterRat wrote:Also wasps, they don't really creep me out, but I get stung every year by those and Pumpkin hate them!
As a matter of principal I try not to hate any bug, but Yellow Jackets are on my list every since one took a bite(not stung) out of my brow for no reason, and they always surround me whenever I sit down to eat my campfired hotdogs, you don't ever want to get between me and my hotdog. : rambo :
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 03 2011 10:08 am

WilliamnWendi wrote:
azbackpackr wrote: Blister Beetles?
PS: Did somebody tell you was I was a framer? Or did Frame-opeli give it away?
Nope, never noticed the Frame-opeli! I had to go back and see what I wrote--I said you'd win a shadow box. Well, hells bells, you can make that yourself! :)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Dec 04 2011 6:32 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Well, hells bells, you can make that yourself!
I've framed everything from art, to car bumpers, to Zippos. You get the stick and I can frame it! :lol:
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 04 2011 8:54 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:Is it weird if I find the giant carrot eating cricket a little cute?
kevinweitzel75 wrote:My wife wants to take that giant cricket home, get it a leash and a collar and rub its belly. Wouldn't bother me as long as its not a spider or want to sleep at the end of the bed. :D
I'm glad it wasn't just me thinking that cricket was kinda cool looking. It almost looks "domesticated" eating that carrot out of the hand....
WilliamnWendi wrote:Did somebody tell you was I was a framer? Or did Frame-opeli give it away?
That's cool, I used to Frame full time. Not doing it right now, but I still have all of my equipment.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Outlander
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tolleson, AZ

Post by Outlander » Dec 09 2011 5:42 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:@chumley That would be a Palo Verde Beetle and I hate them. They usually don't fly until you are right next to them and I hate them. I've heard that they are underground in the Palo Verde roots for 7 years before they emerge, but I don't think that's entirely true. They do seem to be more present in some years versus others.

It is true about the beetle grubs living 5-10 years underground. They wiped out a couple of my pecan trees, along with a rather large palo verde tree. The grubs are big, white nasty things that bore a 3/4 inch diameter hole in the tree trunk near and in the roots. I dumped all kinds of poison on them trying to save the other pecan tree.

The palo verde beetle is the largest in North America, sometimes reaching giant proportions. They will often fly into lighted pools at night, and are known to bite and scratch unsuspecting swimmers. One of them bit my brother on the back, leaving a painful welt.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 09 2011 6:19 pm

Outlander wrote:It is true about the beetle grubs living 5-10 years underground. They wiped out a couple of my pecan trees, along with a rather large palo verde tree. The grubs are big, white nasty things that bore a 3/4 inch diameter hole in the tree trunk near and in the roots. I dumped all kinds of poison on them trying to save the other pecan tree.
The palo verde beetle is the largest in North America, sometimes reaching giant proportions. They will often fly into lighted pools at night, and are known to bite and scratch unsuspecting swimmers. One of them bit my brother on the back, leaving a painful welt.
Whoa! That's just friggin' GROSS. I'm not particularly afraid of any bugs, or bees, or spiders. In fact, I used to keep several beehives years ago, got stung a lot and it didn't really bother me much. But I guess there are a few things that bug me, pun intended.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 10 2011 9:52 am

When I was a kid the palo verde beetles offered hours of entertainment in a game we called Beetle Ball.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Dec 10 2011 6:59 pm

Alston Neal wrote:When I was a kid the palo verde beetles offered hours of entertainment in a game we called Beetle Ball.
Should we ask how that one is played? :(

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 11 2011 10:43 am

you guys need to watch out for the dreaded "Mexican Barking Spider" which is told to congregate around campfire rings and especially inside sleeping bags. My better half doesn't care for them at all, while I don't mind 'em so much. I hear if you drink beer, they grow louder.
:D

BEEBEE
Hamopelli
City, State: Mesa AZ

Post by BEEBEE » Dec 11 2011 10:47 am

Just remember everyone likes there own brand :sl:
"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 11 2011 12:37 pm

HA!

Really, the nastiest insect in AZ is not native, but has recently invaded the state, and that is the bed bug! Yuck!

Return to “Fauna”