Park loaded with Round-tailed Ground Squirrels

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Bradshaws
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Park loaded with Round-tailed Ground Squirrels

Post by Bradshaws »

I have something that has been weighing on my mind for a while.... I know of a park that is loaded with Round-tailed Ground Squirrels. This park is in somewhat of an affluent neighborhood. The patrons of this park have complained of the rodents presents in this park for whatever reason and demanded that something be done. In all fairness there are hundreds of these squirrels running around. With this many small animals running around it naturally attracts predatory birds. I have seen everything from Great Horned Owls to American Kestrels. The municipality that maintains this park went about controlling this rodent problem by poisoning the squirrels. After the first attempt at getting rid of them, two large hawks have been found in the park, one was found dead and the other was found disoriented. That bird was taken away and I don't know what happened with it. :lone: I have yet to see another large bird since the first round of poisoning. On Monday I saw more pest control truck in this park ](*,). I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or start a movement but it just seems that there has to be a better way!!

It seems like Mother Nature gets shafted in every one of these cases :doh: :(
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Park loaded with Round-tailed Ground Squirrels

Post by beterarcher »

chumley wrote:Then again, cows are really dumb.
The only dumber critter I've seen in a pasture are Inca Doves. They will just stand there eating and get stepped on by cows.
CannondaleKid wrote:so should we get rid of humans? Some, anyway??
I'm with you there
Alston Neal wrote:But have you ever seen how fast livestock will move when chased by canines?
Again another problem introduced by stupid humans. (not that I'm against Canine ownership, just stupid owners with no sense.)
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

I love my Dinka doves.
Btw, beterarcher how did you figure out multi quotes?
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

@Alston Neal
I asked some un-redneck person. ;)
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

Ahh I see. I never thought it could be done, but since you did it, yeah scroll down to the thread sequence.
My day is now complete.

I forgot to mention that livestock don't always run from canines but also they will chase them.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Post by SgtLumpy »

gummo wrote:
Hmmm... I first heard that it was a myth by two horse ranchers. Then I did my research afterwards and did not see any documented cases on it...
Exactly where would one go to research "documented cases of horses getting injured by stepping into ground squirrel damaged soil"?

My horse, and other horses I know have been injured. Would you like to see my vet bills? How about the scarring on my horse's legs? Hell just come over and you can step in the caverns yourself.

Kill the ground squirrels? Nobody's saying exterminate the species. But I'd sure kill the individuals or at least do my best to discourage them from entering my property if my horses were in danger. I suspect you would too if your pet or kid were bitten by them and developed bubonic plague. Or even if they didn't get sick but just hurt like heck and you had to consider doing the rabies panel. I imagine you might even want to kill them if they'd gnawed through your buried electircal lines or plastic plumbing pipe. I'm betting you don't have a problem with killing the bacteria in your mouth or your arm pits. Or the scorpions that find their way into your sleeping bag. Or the black widows in your closet.

"They're harmless" is the myth in this scenario. But if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, think what you want.

Sgt Lumpy

Return to “Fauna”