Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
teague
City, State: Tucson

Porcupines

Post by teague »

Hi all,

I am a biologist living in Tucson, and, like other biologists down here, have become concerned about the status of porcupines in southern Arizona. I recently contacted a lot of professionals in the area asking for recent porcupine sightings, but the majority of the sightings are from the late 1990's. So, I am now reaching out to the Arizona Trail community, with the hope that with all of the mileage and areas you all have banked, more recent sightings can be confirmed in southern Arizona. If anybody has seen one, could you please respond with locality information and a date? I did a search before posting, and saw the other porcupine thread; I'm hoping to get more responses here.

Thanks,

Teague Embrey
JasonCleghorn
City, State: Amherst, NH

Re: Porcupines

Post by JasonCleghorn »

I also saw a roadkill specimen on Carefree Highway about halfway between 17 and Cave Creek Rd.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Outdoor Lover wrote:Finally saw my First Wild Porcupine in AZ...Unfortunately it was Deceased
That has to be the most common way to see porcupines. :(
no avatar
toolcrazy
City, State: Waddell arizona

Post by toolcrazy »

I saw one recently 25 feet up in a pine tree near highway 87 and General Crook trail.
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

I saw a flat one on 89A in Oak Creek Canyon when I was like 5 years old.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

Return to “Fauna”