Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Arizona wildlife sightings

Post by chumley » Dec 15 2016 7:34 pm

I just encountered a grey fox running across Broadway Road in Tempe (my second fox sighting with a mile radius in the past 6 months) and it got me thinking of all the wild animals I've had the fortune of seeing on my many years of adventures. The fox in Tempe is probably the most unusual for its urban location, but others are memorable too.

Mammals:
Mountain Lion
Black Bear
Coatimundi
Javelina
Porcupine
Skunk
Grey Fox
Ringtail
Bobcat
Teva
Elk
Feral Horse
Burro
Bighorn Sheep
Fluffy sheep
Deer
Pronghorn

Reptiles:
Western Diamondback
Black Tailed
Arizona Black
Speckled
Prairie
Mojave
Rock
Tiger
AZ Mountain Kingsnake
Gopher
Desert Tortoise
Gila Monster

Birds:
Too many to list (plus I have no idea what most of them are. These are notable though.)
Bald Eagle
Golden Eagle
Great Horned Owl
Turkey

It makes me realize that there are only a few creatures in this state that I haven't seen but would like to. I think :scared:
Raccoon
Otter
Beaver
Ocelot
Bison
Chupacabra
Grey Wolf
Jaguar

What have you seen, or what is still on your wish list?
Last edited by chumley on Dec 15 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highway to hell

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Arizona wildlife sightings

Post by cw50must » Dec 16 2016 8:38 am

toddak wrote:If I don't see a gila monster one of these days, I'm gonna be ticked!
Same here, lived here all my life and not one in the wild.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 16 2016 9:07 am

toddak wrote:If I don't see a gila monster one of these days, I'm gonna be ticked!
I up to two dozen in 12 years of active hiking in Arizona so one might think I'm pretty lucky. But I see it more as providing a better opportunity for luck to happen by lots of off-trail hiking in areas conducive to Gila Monster sightings.
CannondaleKid

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 17 2016 4:47 am

I've seen most, but not all on these lists. I keep an Arizona list. Yes, I've seen moose, in the Tetons. I've also seen wild monkeys and capybaras in Costa Rica. But those don't go on the same list. Back to Arizona: I haven't seen an elegant trogan. Plenty of raccoons and beavers, since I live on the riverbank all winter.

A friend saw resident otters in the Colorado River near Bullhead recently, but I haven't seen them yet. I hadn't known they were there. I'll have to go kayaking down that section of river again.

I've seen two dead badgers, but no live ones. Wolves, bears, mountain lions, foxes and bobcats, yes. Jaguars, no. Plenty of coatimundis, ringtails, javelinas and bighorns. A few gila monsters. Only one golden eagle. Lots of condors at Grand Canyon and at Navajo Bridge. But I'm told there are tagged condors in the mountains east of Bullhead--I want to see those. Plus all the usual. I don't keep a list of reptiles, although I well remember the cute desert tortoise I saw in the Galiuros one time.

As for bison, they are taking over up on the North Rim in the Park, busily trampling water sources and archaeological sites, so head that way if you want to see them. Or, to be more accurate, beefalo. It's like a zoo over there.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Dec 17 2016 8:13 am

@azbackpackr
Did you see the wolf when you lived in the White Mountains? That's a pretty cool sighting!

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 17 2016 10:36 am

On a 7 day back pack in Wyoming’s Wind River Mountains some of the few people we encountered were a couple of hikers near a junction. They were engrossed in something on the trail, and when we got close we saw it was a small badger hissing and spitting at everyone. Another time in the Nebraska Sandhills I was walking a property boundary and saw dirt flying up over the brush. When I got close I could see it was a rather large badger. Neither one of these critters showed any fear or apprehension of the much larger animal (me); and I am sure had I gotten closer I would have come out on the short end of it. These are digging machines, well equipped with sharp long front claws. If only they could be trained to dig post holes!

I've seen several Gila Monsters on the AZT desert passages, 16 and 19 specifically. Saw a coti driving up to Rustler Park, and a slew of ringtails on Wilderness of Rocks Trail, also at Reavis Ranch one year. Saw my first and only AZ bear at the AZT/Bray Creek crossing. May have seen a mountain lion crossing the highway on the pass between Reno and Sacremento, and a wolf in northern Minnesota. That's my story for these two and who's to prove it wrong.

My son and I were in the Winds years ago, he got up early and was fishing. As I joined him we heard splashing and saw a moose grazing the bottom of the lake not far from him. Another time near Pinedale, WY I was driving around early waiting for things to open up, and saw a moose eating the tops of the willow bushes. What made that seem strange it that it was 10 below zero at the time. Golden eagles are common in WY, and when the migrating deer are getting slaughtered crossing the highways the eagles sit on nearby powerlines after lunching on road kill.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 17 2016 10:38 am

Seen a wolf by Greens Peak and a badger not too far from there. By far the huge red macaw in a sycamore at Sunflower was most impressive. Unfortunately our current four legged hiking companion is most efficient at keeping us safe from seeing anything that breathes.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Dec 17 2016 12:21 pm

That's comedy gold.

JasonCleghorn
Pop Tart Warrior

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 17 2016 1:08 pm

There are badgers in Spur Cross Ranch Conservation area. If you don't already, you should follow them on Facebook as they post wildlife cam shots all the time.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 17 2016 4:44 pm

@chumley
Yes, I saw them a couple times. But whenever I put some effort into trying to see one, I didn't see one.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

no avatar
toolcrazy
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Waddell arizona

Post by toolcrazy » Dec 19 2016 10:03 am

I saw a badger walking along the north fence of Luke Air force base once. I pulled over to get a good look, the badger was not a happy camper. I wouldn't like to tangle with one.

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Dec 19 2016 3:12 pm

https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=575760

I'm thinking you missed this one...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 19 2016 3:25 pm

@ALMAL
I tend to think of those as aquatic creatures. Maybe I'm not watching carefully enough.

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Dec 19 2016 3:37 pm

@big_load
There could be a grey area here:
Aquatic creature or wildlife sighting? :-k

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Dec 19 2016 3:54 pm

You aren't late if you don't show up!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 20 2016 5:56 am

@chumley

This is an interstate raccoon. I took the photo in late November. They get into the dumpster at my RV park in Needles, CA, which is on the riverbank. We're only a few yards from the Arizona border, which runs down the middle of the river. Presumably this one grabbed someone's garbage and ran for the border. Interstate transport of stolen goods, a felony. It's why he's wearing that mask.

[ photo ]

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Dec 20 2016 7:38 am

@azbackpackr
Dumpster photos aside, I still haven't seen a raccoon in Arizona.

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 20 2016 10:40 am

I saw a fox in the White Tanks a few years ago. Other than that, all I see are deer and lizards.

JasonCleghorn
Pop Tart Warrior

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 20 2016 5:38 pm

The gray fox that I saw on Elephant Mountain in Cave Creek was one of my highlights of being here in AZ...
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Dec 21 2016 3:52 pm

Saw a javelina at work yesterday, as I was exiting the backdoor, it was probably 20 yards away. We made definite eye-contact. Our parking lot opens right into the desert (McDowells), so it bolted into the desert as I fumbled in my pocket for my phone to take a pic :doh:
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

JasonCleghorn
Pop Tart Warrior

Post by JasonCleghorn » Dec 21 2016 3:56 pm

hippiepunkpirate wrote:Saw a javelina at work yesterday, as I was exiting the backdoor, it was probably 20 yards away. We made definite eye-contact. Our parking lot opens right into the desert (McDowells), so it bolted into the desert as I fumbled in my pocket for my phone to take a pic :doh:
Next time you make a GC trip, let me know... :)

Return to “Fauna”