River Fire

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

River Fire

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 05 2019 4:03 pm

Just looked up from our front patio and saw smoke and a new fire on top of Black Mesa just north of Cave Creek. With binoculars the burn is clearly visible coming over the rim and working it's way down the south slope. I looked online and was unable to find any info at all. Hopefully I'll see some helicopters doing some drops soon as we sure don't need it to spread down into Spur Cross.
Last edited by joebartels on Sep 06 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated subject now that the name of the fire has been established
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

LosDosSloFolks

Re: New Black Mesa Fire?

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 05 2019 8:10 pm

Four hours have passed and with nightfall the flames are very evident with the naked eye on top of Black Mesa and creeping down the southeastern slope towards Spur Cross and the creek. I made a call earlier and firefighters are aware and fighting it on the ground. They referred to it as the New River Fire even though that doesn't seem accurate as a descriptive name. No air drops as of yet. Fingers crossed they can stop this thing before too much is damaged.
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Sep 06 2019 11:20 am

LosDosSloFolks wrote:They referred to it as the New River Fire even though that doesn't seem accurate as a descriptive name.
Isn't Black Mesa pretty small and just off New River Mesa which is much larger?
Go find a LonelyCache

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 06 2019 11:28 am

no page on inciweb, just a boundary labeled
"River" 2,170.824 acres as of 9/5/19, 2:00 AM
river.png
the roost, the roost, the roost is on fire
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 06 2019 11:36 am

@rcorfman
Joe has just posted a boundary map of the fire on this forum. Apparently the fire extends much farther north (towards New River) than what I can see from my home. Black Mesa is connected to New River Mesa at the southern end with a saddle. The flames I am seeing are south of what is shown on the map boundary.
Navajo Nightway Chant

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 06 2019 11:49 am

@rcorfman @joebartels
Update...the fire and smoke plume has now spread much farther north towards Little Grapevine Canyon. Lots of smoke at my home. They need to do some air drops, pronto. It appears they have little to no containment as it is growing quickly.
Navajo Nightway Chant

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 06 2019 12:13 pm

Profound observer

rcorfman

Re: River Fire

Post by rcorfman » Sep 06 2019 4:42 pm

LosDosSloFolks wrote:Black Mesa is connected to New River Mesa at the southern end with a saddle.
Yep, I've been up Black Mesa and over the saddle: [ Triplog ] . I've been on New River Mesa a couple of other times too, once from the 41 near West Point and another up the road from the NE side of the mesa. Not a lot up there. Hopefully not too much will burn up.
Go find a LonelyCache

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Sep 06 2019 5:14 pm

I'm curious, do the top of these mesas look anything like those near I-17 and Sunset Point? I'm not familiar with this area at all, but being nearby and similar in elevation, I thought perhaps they had that similar desert scrub vegetation of exotic oak grass that turns golden yellow by Summer and some other shrubs. A lot of the area between sunset Point and highway 69 has had small fires this year.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 06 2019 5:20 pm

@rcorfman
That's a real slog :scared: , either from Rondo Spring or from Ringneck Spring (252) to the east. My hopes are that the fire stays on top and doesn't work down into Spur Cross.
Navajo Nightway Chant

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 06 2019 5:25 pm

@Jim_H
The mesas have more cacti and scrub than the Sunset Point area. Of course this year EVERYWHERE has a lot of grass. Two threads up @rcorfman has a link with a few photos.
Navajo Nightway Chant

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 06 2019 5:41 pm

Find photos
Plan > Map > Zoom to area that fascinates > Options > Photos
[ Upper Roost Vicinity - Dry Riverless ... :: map ]
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LosDosSloFolks

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 06 2019 6:35 pm

@joebartels
What can't this site do?? :worthy:
Navajo Nightway Chant

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 06 2019 6:38 pm

@LosDosSloFolks
Put out fires
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”