Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

2021 Fire Season

Post by Jim_H »

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7438/

Commence your freakout. Might burn the mountain, might not.

I saw the large smoke plume yesterday around 5 PM in a Satellite image but figured it was so large that it must have been a cloud shield. Nope.
Welcome to Costco, I love you.
cactuscat

Re: 2021 Fire Season

Post by cactuscat »

And the "Shamrock" fire South of Patagonia ... CNF says "full suppression" on this one.
Where is the "dislike" button?
trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko »

Geez. All these with major heat wave about to begin
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

Pinnacle fire from my house -
Attachments
DSCN0073_1.JPG
DSCN0072_1.JPG
DSCN0071_1.JPG
00blackout
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by 00blackout »

pixelfrog wrote:White Canyon is toast.
Looks like parts of it are in the area the fire hit and some are not. Just because it's in the pink area does not mean it's toasted. Let's cross our fingers on that one. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewe ... MXhizeHrkU
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Smokey looking over the Catalina's this morning; from Pinnacle Fire?? Nothing new on inciweb in this area yet.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@RedRoxx44
NWS PHX is reporting that the Telegraph Fire was extremely active overnight and has created a very visible smoke plume east of Phoenix. That could be the same smoke you're seeing over the Catalinas from GV.
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16 ... 0x2400.jpg
33s over 45s
00blackout

Post by 00blackout »

The backburn they were doing at the top of Signal Peak was backing down nicely. Got to Pioneer Pass (which was the fire line) the wind picked up, it jumped the road and took off into the pines. 77 is closed and "go" status for El Capitan. The exact words my buddy at the FS told me this morning is that they lost the Pinals. Hoping it is not as bad as they say but does not sound good at all.
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I know every time I go thru the El Cap area it always looks dry to me. And the few homes in there that aren't cleared off--- I hate to think about that. I know when the pine stands burned years ago in the Galiuros, I was so upset and sad. Same here now. Hope for the best, maybe enough understory there will not be crown fires.

Ugh, thought too soon per inciweb " Fire spotted east of Pioneer Pass, became established base of East Mountain and made a crown fire run up the mountain"
Last edited by RedRoxx44 on Jun 14 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@RedRoxx44
Even somewhat obscured by the Ancha, the bright red glow of fire was easily visible from 70 miles away along the Mogollon Rim last night. It looked enormous.
33s over 45s
00blackout

Post by 00blackout »

There is more smoke today then I have seen all fire. This is from my place in AJ.
Attachments
IMG_8407-Pano.jpg
whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam »

The MODIS map I got from Caltopo this morning looks very bad. Nothing but red dots between FR651 and FR112 from top to bottom and points beyond. East Mountain tells the same story.
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Okay warning this is another rant---I'm just pissed off. I hope I am wrong. This Telegraph "flare up" is from the BACKBURNING, not the direct fire. I get why back burning is done. But does anyone listen to the weather forecast for winds etc?? or do they just hope for the best. What an F up! Maybe they just don't care, get the money and run. And don't burn up any people; it'll all be ok. It's just forest. At this rate the forest service in Arizona needs to change it name to the US Brush and Burning Service.
LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn »

@RedRoxx44 Yep, the backburning torched the mountain. At this point, Tonto National Forest might as well not even exist anymore since there’s pretty much nothing left.
00blackout

Post by 00blackout »

@RedRoxx44
I completely agree with you and from what my buddy at the FS says, that is exactly what happened. They tried backburning to much at one time and now we have this. East Mountain is ground zero for this F*** up and it's gonna cost us all of the Pinals. From what he says there are several people within the FS who are extremely pissed off at the lazy approach of fighting the recent fires including the Telegraph. There is also a rumor within the FS on the cause of the fire, which I will not get into here as it has not been confirmed within the FS as of yet. But, I will say if the cause turns out to be what they think it is (we may never know) it's absolutely idiotic lack of common sense.
Last edited by 00blackout on Jun 14 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
chumley

Post by chumley »

RedRoxx44 wrote:some old dog wildland firefighters critical of not taking a more direct approach
Maybe royally effing up and destroying a mountain for no valid reason will open a discussion about changing tactics for future fires (in other states that still have unburned terrain).
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

@chumley
Unless they kill some politician I am betting it will be business as usual for the near future. ( I am sure I will be on some NSA list for this comment)
KwaiChang
City, State: Bradenton, FL

Post by KwaiChang »

RedRoxx44 wrote:( I am sure I will be on some NSA list for this comment)
I hope I am not on it for liking this post!!!!
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....
kelly14
City, State: Phoenix

Post by kelly14 »

Super glad to see another mountain range obliterated before my family and I got a chance to explore it.....
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

00blackout wrote:There is also a rumor within the FS on the cause of the fire, which I will not get into here as it has not been confirmed within the FS as of yet. But, I will say if the cause turns out to be what they think it is (we may never know) it's absolutely idiotic lack of common sense
Oh, c'mon - tell us!
andrewp
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by andrewp »

00blackout wrote:But, I will say if the cause turns out to be what they think it is (we may never know) it's absolutely idiotic lack of common sense.
Tonto NF employee filming a gender reveal?

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”