Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

2021 Fire Season

Post by Jim_H »

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7438/

Commence your freakout. Might burn the mountain, might not.

I saw the large smoke plume yesterday around 5 PM in a Satellite image but figured it was so large that it must have been a cloud shield. Nope.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Re: 2021 Fire Season

Post by DixieFlyer »

@chumley
I saw a map of the prior closure which had a small restricted area west of Superior...but it is possible that did not include Picketpost...no matter now though
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Thanks California for years of fire mis management leading to me having to breathe your fire pollution in my little slice of heaven in a completely different pumpkin state! Yum!
Attachments
D1EA35F8-39A0-4720-9B18-C09DFDA59C85.jpeg
:o
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

This morning I went to Lees Ferry for my job. The smoke was so thick I could not see the Vermilion Cliffs until I was actually on the Lees Ferry Road. However the smoke at this point remains up that way. It is not smoky at all in Flagstaff this afternoon. I will be driving up again tomorrow so I can report back again if anyone is interested.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
sneakySASQUATCH

Mmmm! I might as well start smoking!
Pikes Peak in California haze.
Attachments
1D1A1060-2254-4B53-80DC-D7B3EE52DE4E.jpeg
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@sneakySASQUATCH
you make it seem like Colorado is immune to forest fires or decades of mismanagement? Send me a message from your drive through glenwood canyon in the next few months to reiterate the point :lol:
33s over 45s
sneakySASQUATCH

@chumley
Not at all! Colorado is not immune to any of the same pitfalls and mismanagement or fires. However, Right now and this week’s smoke and haze and the shit I had to fly through on shift all last week from all reports is coming from California. Of course the error I could be committing is believing any media or governmental pumpkin. :)
chumley

Post by chumley »

The Telegraph Fire Closure has been rescinded. The Pinal Mountains are no longer closed to public access.

However, the hiking trails and some roads are closed. So if you wish to explore off-trail to see the burnt leaves not falling in their autumn charcoal glory, you may find Kellner, Icehouse, and Sixshooter canyons to be enjoyable. Just stay off the trail.

Order: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 954905.pdf
Map: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 954906.pdf

Their social page posted
Recreational users are urged not to attempt to use these roads and trails for their safety
so maybe they're following the Coronado policy of "it's closed, but not really, unless you hurt yourself or complain, and then we'll say 'see, it's closed!'"
33s over 45s
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

https://news.yahoo.com/self-proclaimed- ... 00225.html

What is with these crazy people calling themselves, "Shaman"? Is this the new thing for the deranged? Whether you're drinking bear urine, or touring the Capitol Rotunda improperly, if you think you're a Shaman, everyone else thinks you're insane.
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

@Jim_H
All the Native people I know have a term for it. It is hard to translate from the different languages, but it loosely means White Loser.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

"...she was a doctoral student at State University of New York's New York College of Environmental Sciences and Forestry"

Also read elsewhere that she has a degree from Cal Tech.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

@Grimey
Point?
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@Jim_H
I read that as well. I think there are several points. She worked very hard for those college degrees, yet threw her career away. Why would anyone do that? Probably due to a mental illness of some kind.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
Grimey

Post by Grimey »

@Jim_H
No point really. Just thought it was an interesting background, so I thought others might find it interesting as well. Cal Tech is a pretty impressive place from which to earn a degree, then to end up like she has.
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Yes, unfortunately more than a few educated idiots.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@RedRoxx44
Mental illness is not the same as being stupid. I really take issue with this. This woman is possibly very sick and probably on drugs, yet you wish to pass judgment on her IQ.

If someone has colon cancer we feel sorry for them. If they are mentally ill we scorn them?
rustyshackleford135
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by rustyshackleford135 »

azbackpackr wrote: Sep 30 2021 6:19 am @RedRoxx44
Mental illness is not the same as being stupid. I really take issue with this. This woman is possibly very sick and probably on drugs, yet you wish to pass judgment on her IQ.

If someone has colon cancer we feel sorry for them. If they are mentally ill we scorn them?
Come on guys, why are you judging her by the things she said and words she spoke?!
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@rustyshackleford135
Her, meaning the mentally ill woman or the HAZ poster?

Ill means ill. If you haven't been around someone who gradually became mentally ill, you wouldn't know how insidious mental illness can be. It often does present itself in late 20s. The person goes from being a loved friend or family member to someone you don't know or trust anymore. It is terrible to watch it happen to a loved one. I speak from extremely heartbreaking and painful experience.
chumley

Post by chumley »

Did you all read the fire report by KNAU for the Fossil Creek area after the Backbone Fire? There are some bits of good news in the report.
https://www.knau.org/post/fossil-creek- ... kbone-fire
33s over 45s
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@chumley
In response to the good news, Tonto has asked Coconino National Forest to keep the area closed until 2048.
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

friendofThundergod wrote:Tonto has asked Coconino National Forest to keep the area closed until 2048.
LindaAnn likes like it
the Coronado Forest has advised them just to close the trails and to leave off-trail open
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”