Pinals now shut down for the summer

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Pinals now shut down for the summer

Post by azdesertfather » May 13 2017 10:24 pm

Pinal Mountains shut down for the summer, for fire restrictions. Closure is pretty extensive. In place until July 31, unless conditions change and the order is rescinded.

Closure order with map here:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tonto/al ... ?aid=40564
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Pinals now shut down for the summer

Post by joebartels » May 13 2017 11:19 pm

fseprd542285.png
saw "fire origin" on map, so I looked it up

Pinal Fire
Active 19 acres 3 hrs. ago

not very big from started May 8th
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 14 2017 12:03 pm

joebartels wrote:Pinal Fire
Active 19 acres 3 hrs. ago
not very big from started May 8th
That's because they could have put it out if they wanted to. It may very well have actually burned itself out already!

This has all the signs of a repeat of last year's Juniper fire in the Sierra Ancha.
Wildfire last burned in this area in 1952. The natural fire frequency of that landscape is in need of the reintroduction of low-severity fire into the ecosystem to provide for fire adapted communities and infrastructure resulting in enhanced overall forest health for the future. One of the objectives of this incident is to restore ponderosa pine and mixed conifer fuel types to a more drought tolerant and natural condition while protecting the community water shed from erosion. Private land, infrastructure and recreation facilities will be protected from fire.
Does that sound like the language used for a lightning-caused wildfire to you?

I suspect they've had this plan in place for at least a few years, just waiting for the opportunity to implement it. There will likely be aerial ignitions within the planned 12,000 acre perimeter. I hope it turns out better than Juniper did.

I've created a map with the closure perimeter here on HAZ if you'd like to get a better feel for it than the map attached above. https://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=29500&M=1

Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5176/
Highway to hell

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » May 14 2017 2:02 pm

Good thing I got my Maple Fix up there last Year. This Autumn will likely be terrible.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 14 2017 9:29 pm

Guess I won't be returning to the Pinals to hike Ice House Canyon this or next month. So much for Hermit Thrushes.

This really seems like a total over reaction. I might agree with Letty here, though we likely won't agree on the motive.

Feel free to break this out for a new thread:

Any recommendations for some suitable replacement hikes, as in hikes similar to those north facing trails in the Pinals? Hikes to listen to Hermit Thrushes and other birds, and that have views, but also leafy cooler forests? I don't know if the Sierra Ancha offer that. Is it best to go to the Pinalenos, or can this be found in the eastern Supes?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » May 14 2017 9:42 pm

This had better not go the way of the Juniper Fire, which did extensive damage to an already fire damaged Sierra Ancha. Save the forests from the Forest Service. Apache Leap is doomed and so may be my beloved Pinals due to prescribed fire in May (?!). I am livid, but my voice doesn't matter to forest management. :x
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » May 15 2017 5:48 am

"low-severity fire" in May? Good luck with that. Fire needs to happen. It seems too risky now.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » May 15 2017 6:46 am

I understand the negative reaction to fires around here. But I think that Arizonans have their heads in the sand on this issue (pun intended?). It's getting warmer and drier in Arizona, and that's going to mean more fires. As an ecologist, my best advice to everyone here is to try to cultivate a Buddhist-like sense of detachment, because if there is a forested place in Arizona that you love, it's probably screwed--definitely screwed in the long term.

Prescribed fires and/or letting natural fires burn can help to prevent more severe fires for now. But in the long run, even the thinned and burned areas are probably screwed--when things get dry enough, even those areas will burn. The Forest Service gets some blame for mismanaging fire for pretty much the entire 20th century, but climate change is a much bigger problem. Maybe someday I'll do a longer post and cite sources and everything, but for now I would just suggest that people try to enjoy the unburned and healthy forests while they can. Your children and grandchildren probably won't have near as much of that available.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2017 7:09 am

My reaction is to the closure, not the fire. When I saw this at work I initially just thought it was a fire restriction order.

@PrestonSands
Should I not venture to the Sierra Ancha as a replacement for Pinal trails? As you probably know, Icehouse is leafy, green, shady, and filled with spring bird call. I take it that is not the case for available trails in the Ancha. Are the Pinalenos or Superstitions (east end) a better choice, or maybe the Rim?

chulavista
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » May 15 2017 5:38 pm

Geez...I was going to start doing day hikes up there!!
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 16 2017 9:00 am

There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 16 2017 9:22 am

@azbackpackr
I might hike that loop this weekend. I am not excited to replace Icehouse Canyon with Pk 5024, so the Rim may be better. I think it is too early for the Pinalenos, and if the Sierra Ancha are as burned over as at least 1 HAZ member posted, I would rather go to the Rim.

Besides, I have basically never hiked on the Rim, or if I have it was 10 years ago, if it wasn't more.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 16 2017 9:42 am

@Jim_H
I seemed to recall you hadn't done much on the Rim, so that's why I suggested it, and not too far a drive.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » May 16 2017 9:49 pm

The Pinals are one special mountain range. I hope they don't screw it up.

JasonCleghorn

Post by JasonCleghorn » May 17 2017 11:34 am

Jim_H wrote:@azbackpackr
I might hike that loop this weekend. I am not excited to replace Icehouse Canyon with Pk 5024, so the Rim may be better. I think it is too early for the Pinalenos, and if the Sierra Ancha are as burned over as at least 1 HAZ member posted, I would rather go to the Rim.

Besides, I have basically never hiked on the Rim, or if I have it was 10 years ago, if it wasn't more.
Its nice up there. I love it there.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » May 19 2017 1:44 pm

Spent last night in Globe after returning from Utah ( sun, wind , rain , hail, snow, ruins, and cattle drives) fire was pretty active on the drive in, last night very glowy on the ridgeline, and when I left activity moreso on the west side it seemed. very smokey on drive to Winkelman via Ray pit route.

chumley

Post by chumley » May 22 2017 11:59 am

I saw an impressive smoke plume from both the valley and the Mogollon Rim on Friday and Sunday.
Remarks:
Firing may be implemented by aerial resources to ensure the fire edge aligns appropriately to the slope once the wind conditions allow.
-Inciweb

#lightning :-s
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » May 22 2017 4:06 pm

I got this photo from a friend's social media account.

Don't worry. It always looks worse at night.
Attachments
pinals.jpg
Highway to hell

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 22 2017 4:12 pm

@chumley
cool pic
but it doesn't look good

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » May 22 2017 6:17 pm

Wonder what the Forest Service carbon footprint is for 2016-17?

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”