Stage II fire restrictions - Coconino NF

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Coconino, AZ
flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Stage II fire restrictions - Coconino NF

Post by flagscott » Jun 21 2017 11:51 am

Stage II fire restrictions begin on Thursday, June 22 in the entire Coconino NF. That means no campfires anywhere, including developed sites, no shooting, and no driving off-road.

https://ein.az.gov/emergency-informatio ... strictions

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Stage II fire restrictions - Coconino NF

Post by CannondaleKid » Jun 21 2017 1:32 pm

34 abandoned campfires over the weekend... absolutely ridiculous how stupid people can & will be.
CannondaleKid

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 21 2017 1:36 pm

@CannondaleKid
What is wrong with people? ](*,)
Rowdy and Widowmaker

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jun 21 2017 1:40 pm

@Widowmaker
Entitlement?
"The world is mine, I can do whatever I wish"
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 21 2017 1:53 pm

This is the first year that Stage II restrictions include the prohibition of driving a vehicle off a forest service road.
(2014 was the last time Coconino enacted Stage II, and the restriction order did not include the driving restrictions.)

This is a significant change and is worth noting.

Regardless of the Motor Vehicle Use Map which indicates that you may park up to 30 feet from all forest roads and up to 300 feet from forest roads in designated camping corridors, the Stage II restrictions now clearly override those provisions.

Read this to fully understand the driving restrictions. It is especially relevant to people who car camp or have large trailers:
9. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads (except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway or when parking overnight in Forest Service developed campgrounds and trailheads).

This means that all vehicles must remain on an open Forest Road when driving. All parked vehicles must remain within 10 feet of a Forest Road AND only in an area that is devoid of vegetation. This is to keep catalytic converters and other sources of heat underneath the vehicle from igniting vegetation.

Visitors may NOT drive over areas of vegetation to place their trailers or unload their tents and camping supplies, and may NOT park directly on a designated Forest Road. Thus, finding a suitable location for pulling a trailer off the road will be challenging, particularly with the number of visitors expected during summer months. As a result, some campers may not find a spot to camp on the Coconino National Forest at this time and during the busy weekends.
So you can't park your vehicle more than 10 feet off a forest road, AND you can only do so if those 10 feet are devoid of vegetation! That is very restrictive!

I wonder what the rationale for this decision is. I can't say I've read any accounts of modern vehicles or trailers starting fires while driving or parking for the purpose of camping near a forest road in Arizona. I also wonder if other forests in Arizona will follow the same rules for their Stage II restrictions or if it's just a Coconino NF (and probably Kaibab as those two forests typically work together).
Highway to hell

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Jun 21 2017 2:04 pm

chumley wrote:So you can't park your vehicle more than 10 feet off a forest road, AND you can only do so if those 10 feet are devoid of vegetation! That is very restrictive!

I wonder what the rationale for this decision is. I can't say I've read any accounts of modern vehicles or trailers starting fires while driving or parking for the purpose of camping near a forest road in Arizona. I also wonder if other forests in Arizona will follow the same rules for their Stage II restrictions or if it's just a Coconino NF (and probably Kaibab as those two forests typically work together).
Too lazy and busy to look it up, but I can recall fires being started by cars driving off road or even just parking off a road. Hot stuff under car + dry grass = fire. I'm not sure why you seem to find this problematic...

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 21 2017 2:07 pm

flagscott wrote: I'm not sure why you seem to find this problematic
I'm not sure where I indicated that I found it to be problematic. :-k
Highway to hell

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Jun 21 2017 4:27 pm

chumley wrote:
flagscott wrote: I'm not sure why you seem to find this problematic
I'm not sure where I indicated that I found it to be problematic. :-k
Perhaps I misinterpreted the "very restrictive" language, which seemed like a complaint. My mistake. Good to highlight this part of the Stage II regs regardless.

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Jun 21 2017 4:31 pm

It's interesting that the Tonto, Kaibab, and Coronado NFs haven't gone to stage II yet. The Coronado has seemingly had a zillion fires already. I wonder what they're waiting for.

JasonCleghorn
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jun 21 2017 8:51 pm

They apparently amended #9 about vehicles to provide some clarity.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 21 2017 10:32 pm

The forest order was changed to clarify the motor vehicle restrictions. The original order is no longer relevant.

See the corrected order here:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino ... EPRD547173

Clarified portion:
Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads. Motorized vehicles must abide by Travel Management Regulations and travel only on open Forest Roads. In “camping corridors” where vehicles are allowed to leave a Forest Road for up to 300 feet (as well as outside camping corridors where vehicles can leave the Forest Road for up to 30 feet) vehicles can still do so, but only as long as the path they drive over is devoid of vegetation. The intent of this restriction is to keep sources of heat underneath a vehicle from contacting any vegetation that could start a wildfire. In short, don’t drive or park over any vegetation at any time.
Highway to hell

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Jun 23 2017 2:10 pm

A little late I'd say. And they are waiting until after the weekend. :doh: I'd laugh, but it ain't funny.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado ... EPRD547403
Onward into oblivion!

BEEBEE
City, State: Mesa AZ

Post by BEEBEE » Jun 27 2017 10:21 am

While camping near Stoneman Lake Road this weekend we were visited by a ranger checking on campers and letting people know about the restrictions. I asked him about the original 10 foot order and what resulted in it being revised. The ranger informed me that the original order came from above and the local offices said no way and it was revised to eliminate the 10 foot requirement. The ranger said he has been working Coconino for 26 years and cant ever remember a fire being started by a vehicle exhaust or catalytic converter. He said only vehicle fires off the main paved roads and was happy to see it changed as people should have reasonable access to public lands. He was really friendly and excited to see people not camping in RV's and Fifth wheels in our site.

On a side note I went to the Hutch Mountain FT after 6 PM Saturday to do some radio stuff and watch the sunset on the way back down the hill I saw a group with a raging campfire. It's so dry in that area and the no campfire signs are everywhere. I called the CNF office and reported it,
"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."

no avatar
HAZardous
City, State: mesa, az

Post by HAZardous » Jun 28 2017 1:20 pm

chumley wrote: I can't say I've read any accounts of modern vehicles or trailers starting fires while driving or parking for the purpose of camping near a forest road in Arizona.
Images of the '78 Arcosanti car-b-que are burned deep in our collective memories. ;)

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”