Tinder Fire

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
HAZopelli
City, State: Payson

Tinder Fire

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 27 2018 5:04 pm

Reported earlier today (4/27), 50 acres at 4pm One Large Sikorsky enroute from Payson Airport and another may arrive at Payson later today. Fire is located East of C. Cragin Reservoir (formerly Blue Ridge) in East Clear Creek.
jk

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Tinder Fire

Post by Jim_H » Apr 27 2018 6:15 pm

Until I remembered this was a fire thread, I thought this was about something else.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 27 2018 7:20 pm

Jim_H wrote:I thought this was about something else.
Jim, you must be thinking of the "ring of fire" which originates from Tinder, but soon turns raging inferno.
:D

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog » Apr 28 2018 10:31 am

Ugh its right by Kinder Crossing. I hope it doesn't burn up, that's a special spot. 😩

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type

Post by pixelfrog » Apr 28 2018 10:32 am

Actually right by the fire tower there, at least according to inciweb.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Apr 28 2018 3:21 pm

Fire Map Status as of 4/28/18:
Tinder Fire Status 4-28-18 PIO Map 04282018.pdf
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
As I now understand, a Type 1 Team will be taking management of the fire tonight at 6:00 pm.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 30 2018 9:35 am

As always, official information can be found on Inciweb.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5763/

The map yesterday showed that the fire had burned through Kinder Crossing, and multiple structures were lost in the subdivisions on the west side of East Clear Creek along the 87.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type

Post by pixelfrog » Apr 30 2018 9:41 am

@chumley yeah I've been watching for updates on inciweb but they haven't added the fire perimeter yet. But since it was moving northeast and is already greater than 8,000 acres I suspect it's already gone and torched.

Geomac is also good but they don't have the fire perimeter updated yet either. This is gonna be a big bad one.

https://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Apr 30 2018 9:51 am

pixelfrog wrote:This is gonna be a big bad one.
I hope today is the last real threat day. Yesterday was terrible due to winds. If they can keep the western perimeter away from all those subdivisions today I think they have the manpower on hand to get a handle on it tomorrow and Wednesday. There's snow in the forecast there. Cold weather, precipitation, and generally moving out of ponderosa into chaparral grasslands should help a lot. The grasslands will burn and increase total acreage fast, but that stuff recovers from fire very quickly too.

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 30 2018 9:52 am

All of the major upper ECC destinations look to be within the perimeter - FR95 crossing, Kinder Crossing, Horse Crossing, Mack's Crossing :(
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type

Post by pixelfrog » Apr 30 2018 2:05 pm

KinderCrossing.png
My hopes of a low intensity fire just burning the underbrush have faded with this photo. :(

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 30 2018 4:46 pm

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Apr 30 2018 5:31 pm

@trekkin_gecko
WoW !

"Officials say they expect the fire to continue to move to the northeast, moving rapidly through the ponderosa pine. Once it reaches the pinyon/juniper vegetation, they expect it will slow. The strong southwest winds are expected to continue through Tuesday. The National Weather Service is predicting a 50 percent chance for rain Tuesday evening.

All of the Blue Ridge communities north, east and west of Highway 87 have been evacuated. Highway 87 has been closed from milepost 290 at Clints Well to milepost 312 and is expected to remain closed for some time, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Motorists should use Interstate 17 and Interstate 40 as alternate routes."

Hwy 87 at Milepost 281.1 is the north end turn south onto The Rim Road (FR300).
Last edited by Grasshopper on Apr 30 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 30 2018 7:20 pm

I figured it must have worsened significantly when I started getting alerts on my phone.

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » May 01 2018 4:36 pm

My cabin is in the fire burned area waiting to hear if it is damaged or not.. there are about 20-30 structures gone in the Clear Creek Pine 9 area... watched the briefing last night and was up to 11,000 acres this morning with no containment... Our neighbors across the way 2 of them have burned down.. and many on the street across from us.. was able to see some photos from the TV news helicopters... used to walk down to Mackys crossing all the time is about a 4 mile round trip from the cabin.. lots of burn along the west side of East Clear Creek from all the photos that I have seen..
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » May 01 2018 4:44 pm

Oh and also was supposed to be the Kinder Fire since it started closer to Kinder Crossing... someone goofed and spread it as the Tinder fire...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » May 01 2018 4:48 pm

@Dschur
One of the reports I read, and I assume you've seen it too, spoke of the sporadic nature of some structures burned while right next door no damage at all. The report emphasized that it appeared that homes in the burn area with a "firewise" perimeter had fared much better overall than those without.

Thanks for the update. Hoping for the best for your cabin Dawn.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » May 01 2018 5:26 pm

May 1st News Release From the USFS
Tinder Fire Wildfire
News – 47 min. ago
Illegal campfire to blame for start of Tinder Fire

HAPPY JACK, Ariz., May 1, 2018, For Immediate Release — Forest Service investigators were able to access the point of origin of the Tinder Fire and have found the cause to be an abandoned illegal campfire during Stage I Fire Restrictions.

The fire was reported by the Moqui Tower lookout on April 27 at 11:43 a.m. and began near Forest Road 95, approximately 1.5 miles east of C.C. Cragin Reservoir. It quickly spread to the bottom of East Clear Creek Canyon, and strong southwest winds drove the fire in a northeast direction up the canyon and towards private property and residents located about 3 miles away.

"Any time we enter restrictions or have even closed the forest, we still continue to find abandoned and illegal campfires," said Andy Pederson, Forest Service patrol captain for northern Arizona. "This shows extreme lack of care for public safety and our natural resources when people would have an illegal campfire, much less abandon an illegal campfire."

Finding the person responsible for this illegal campfire will be difficult, as witnesses in the forest are often nonexistent, but Forest Service Law Enforcement & Investigations are continuing to investigate this case and are hopeful for progress.

If anyone was in the area of Forest Road 95 near the origin of the Tinder Fire on April 27 and has information that could help this investigation, please contact Forest Service Law Enforcement at (928) 527-3511.

The Tinder Fire is currently over 11,400 acres with zero percent containment and more than 550 personnel working to control and extinguish the wildfire.
Where is the "dislike" button?

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » May 01 2018 5:48 pm

It's been raining here in Flag for an hour or so. Hope it is also raining over the fire area now.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 01 2018 5:54 pm

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”