Tinder Fire

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
HAZopelli
City, State: Payson

Tinder Fire

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 27 2018 5:04 pm

Reported earlier today (4/27), 50 acres at 4pm One Large Sikorsky enroute from Payson Airport and another may arrive at Payson later today. Fire is located East of C. Cragin Reservoir (formerly Blue Ridge) in East Clear Creek.
jk

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Tinder Fire

Post by big_load » May 01 2018 8:25 pm

Dschur wrote:My cabin is in the fire burned area waiting to hear if it is damaged or not..
I hope it's OK.
Dschur wrote:was supposed to be the Kinder Fire since it started closer to Kinder Crossing.
I wondered about that.

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Post by amy1300 » May 01 2018 8:50 pm

@azbackpackr
Thanks for that news -- I've been obsessively checking the weather in a few places today, hoping there would be rain in the burn area on the Rim.
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 01 2018 9:02 pm

@trekkin_gecko
The map referred to in trekkin_gecko's post shows a yellow "closure" area extending all the way to the Rim. But the Forest Service closure order's map does not go that far south. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 578204.pdf Does anyone know whether the forest is actually closed to the edge of the Rim?

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » May 02 2018 6:05 am

@amy1300
.35 inch the past 24 hours and now it's turned to snow. I have a light dusting on my Jeep and kayak in the yard. Would post photo here but I never am successful at that, no matter what I try.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 02 2018 6:14 am

@azbackpackr
Yeah, NPR had that snow news this morning -- congrats on getting snow cover in May! Here it's in low 60s, with forecast high of 75! Amazing. Tinder fire area got some moisture, too, but this morning the map is showing some tendrils to the south. Wondering whether Cabin Loop has been/will be affected.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 02 2018 6:26 am

@amy1300
I've had a backpack planned for the 22nd on the Blue Ridge passage of the AZT. Friend coming from a long way to do it with me. Hope it is not closed by then.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 02 2018 6:35 am

@amy1300
Also, Payson airport is not reporting any precip at all. So, it seems mostly to the north. It is supposed to continue through Thursday, so we can hope.

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 02 2018 6:38 am

@azbackpackr
Yeah, I had been planning to backpack Tonto Hatchery to Knoll and then over to Horton Springs Trail -- that's why I'm wondering about whether Forest is closed to the Rim, south of the fire. Will call Forest Service later to inquire, if the info doesn't come from someone here.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 02 2018 7:14 am

here is the closure order and map:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 578204.pdf

it does not appear to extend to rim road 300
the map i linked to above does make it look that way
Last edited by trekkin_gecko on May 02 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildernessAdvocate
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by WildernessAdvocate » May 02 2018 10:19 am

Looks like it's closing in on the Cabin Loop system :(

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 02 2018 12:06 pm

Snowing and it's sticking in Flag. Heard thunder.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 02 2018 1:47 pm

this map shows the larger closure area, too
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/AZCOF/2 ... 7-CDT.jpeg
I don't see a more recent forest closure order supporting this

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 02 2018 2:39 pm

I just spoke to the Mogollon Ranger District Ranger (Linda), and she says the Cabin Loop area has not been burned, but the trails there are closed for now, they just don't want anybody in that area. FR300 (Rim Road) is closed for some ways west and east of the fire fighting area, as shown on the inciweb map. (She says there's an updated Forest Order with more of the map showing "closed," but I don't see it on the FS website yet.) Knoll Lake CG had not been opened yet for the summer, but there is a host in that area preparing the CG -- she says it would still be possible to hike to Knoll Lake from the Tonto Fish Hatchery -- and so far, the wind is still blowing the smoke to the NE. It was cold and snowed up there a bit today, like in Flag. So far, no people have been hurt yet as a result of the fire, as far as she's heard.
Last edited by amy1300 on May 02 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » May 02 2018 3:40 pm

Still waiting for info from the Coconino county but from a news 10 helicopter was able to snatch an image of the cabin and is still standing.. but could still have some damage ... some of the other satellite subdivisions in the area are getting their power turned back on but in Clear Creek Pines 9 we got the hardest hit so probably a few poles down.. there was a message to some from APS saying our area will be back on line on Friday... but first have to have a cabin... Wonder about all the through hikers that have started the AZ trail??
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 02 2018 4:04 pm

@Dschur
Glad your cabin appears to be standing - hoping for the best, re APS getting you up and no smoke damage.
Yes, the ranger did mention a section of the AZT is closed but I did not ask for detail on that. Hope everyone is able to work out a plan B.

no avatar
Ampaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ampaz » May 03 2018 10:50 am

I had a backpacking trip planned for this coming Monday May 7 at the cabin loop! :( Since this area is closed currently, I now have to find another location. Any suggestions??? First solo backpacking trip, looking for 4 day/3 night with access to water and preferably a loop so I can get back to my car more easily. This really threw a wrench in my plans! This trip was my treat to myself after finishing finals this week.

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 03 2018 11:13 am

@Ampaz
If I were going up there, I'd start at Tonto Fish Hatchery and hike the Babe Haught Trail up to Knoll Lake. Campsites are along the SE side of the lake, according to triplogs on HAZ. (Leaving the car below the Rim means you wouldn't have to worry about exactly where FR300 is closed.) Using the Highline Trail below the Rim and General Crook Trail above the Rim (#130 in Coconino Forest and #140 in Apache-Sitgreaves), plus the short steep connectors like Horton Springs Trail, Promontory Butte Trail, See Canyon Trail, and Drew Trail, you can make loops that stay close to creeks that flow down off the Rim, and/or lakes on top of the plateau like Knoll and Bear Canyon Lakes. All depends how much mileage, and how much climbing, you want to do per day. The Highline Trail can get you back to your car at the Hatchery from anywhere along there.

Fire news: 30 primary residences and 17 "minor structures" lost -- https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5763/42797/
Last edited by amy1300 on May 03 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 03 2018 11:26 am

@Ampaz
I'd also visit the Forest Service office in Payson on the way there, to let them know my plan, just in case the wind direction changes or some other thing happens. It seems like it would be a good idea to let them know you're in the vicinity.

amy1300
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by amy1300 » May 03 2018 11:42 am

@Ampaz
If you'd rather avoid the Rim area altogether, I'd suggest looking at azbackpackr's April 19, 2018 triplog for "Kelsey and Little LO" - https://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&ZTN=740&UID=0 - I don't know how I'd stretch that to 4 days, but if you look at the triplog and a map you may figure out a way. Looked like there was a good water situation as of April 19th.

pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog » May 03 2018 12:25 pm

Investigators determined that the fire originated in the East Clear Creek drainage approximately one mile downstream from Forest Road 95. This means it's very likely that the fire started down at Kinder Crossing at that amazing campsite next to the water with the giant meadow and ponderosa pines.

The person that had this fire should have known better and someone must have seen them down there. Kinder get's quite a bit of traffic so it's also likely someone saw these fountain cleanser bags down there. I urge anyone with info to come forward and catch these scumbags!

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”