Woodbury Fire - Superstition Wilderness

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Queen V NE, AZ
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Woodbury Fire - Superstition Wilderness

Post by chumley » Jun 08 2019 8:27 pm

Burning near Woodbury Trailhead. It has grown to 500 acres. I'll post official links as soon as they're up.

The smoke plume does not look good.

Inciweb

Updated 2019-07-16 123,875 Acres - 100% Contained
[ Woodbury Fire Perimeter :: map ]

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Re: Woodbury Fire - Superstition Wilderness

Post by AZLumberjack » Jun 14 2019 6:12 am

Sredfield wrote:@AZLumberjack
Thank you! Inciweb does not have good maps up yet.
A big thanks to Susan Harnish (suzaz) she posted this on Facebook.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 14 2019 9:40 am

They need to pull the trigger on that retardant. Labarge and Whiskey are thick with grass right now.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack » Jun 14 2019 11:10 am

Just read a posting on Facebook that the Apache Trail has been shut down from the area where blacktop changes to gravel transition on North. The fire should jump the road sometime tonight.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer » Jun 14 2019 1:19 pm

From the Superstition Fire and Medical District Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/sfmd.az.gov

"Update on the Woodbury Fire:

Due to operational needs of the fire, Apache Lake and Canyon Lake will be closed until further notice. HWY 88 will be closed at Needle Vista & HWY 88, and on the East Side at HWY 88 and 188. They are not evacuating people that are currently there but are not letting people in.

Lakes that are open are: Saguaro Lake, The Lower Salt River, Roosevelt Lake, Bartlett Lake, and Horseshoe lake. The community of Gold Canyon and Apache Junction are still safe."

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog » Jun 14 2019 2:06 pm

It's down in Fish Creek already, damn it! Rapidly approaching Tortilla Flats and Canyon Lake. I'm literally at a loss for words with this.

hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw » Jun 14 2019 2:10 pm

@pixelfrog Your not alone. Sickening.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jun 14 2019 2:39 pm

Has anyone seen talk of backfiring from the Apache Trail?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

RickVincent
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by RickVincent » Jun 14 2019 3:00 pm

Its moving full speed now.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

tibber

Post by tibber » Jun 14 2019 4:30 pm

saw this on the FB Supes page: from a Steve Jorgensen 4 hrs
I have a friend who works for the Forest Service. He says they are talking about burning out Hwy 88 from Canyon Lake to Roosevelt to keep the fire from jumping the Salt River to the Four Peaks side.
Jim Lewis:
Backburnes may start this evening ! more resources are landing at Gateway and Sky Harbor, and they are moving people out of the Apache Lake area now ! It's gonna be a now or never real soon to stop this one's forward motion but even so it's going to be weeks before it settles down and current projections are Monsoons are starting later than normal not expecting any in that area till the third week of July....
Last edited by tibber on Jun 14 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer » Jun 14 2019 5:37 pm

I see that the Tonto National Forest has implemented Stage 1 fire restrictions starting tomorrow...too little, too late I'm afraid

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tonto/al ... ?aid=52969

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jun 14 2019 6:11 pm

the map jack posted a link for is a good one
the movement to the northwest intrigues me - with prevailing winds from the west, I would think it would grow to the northeast during the day
maybe terrain and fuel sources have something to do with that?
edit: there is some movement to the east and northeast recently
Last edited by trekkin_gecko on Jun 14 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 14 2019 8:13 pm

MODIS & VIIRIS 750m data over 06-11 & 06-13 perimeters
[ Woodbury Fire - Progressive Perimeter :: map ]
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack » Jun 15 2019 6:13 am

I drove out on Apache Trail at 04:30 this morning (Saturday) and the trail has a manned road block at Needle Vista. First Water Road is CLOSED, I think they have an action center at the horse trailer parking lot. The visible smoke in the mountains has been reduced greatly but there's a lot more to the north, indicating movement towards Apache Trail around the Fish Creek Overlook.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 15 2019 12:24 pm

The incident management team will have a community meeting on Sunday, June 16 at 2:00 p.m. at the Roosevelt Baptist Church located on State Highway 188, Roosevelt, AZ 85545.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 15 2019 5:32 pm

Wow over 26,000 acres with zero containment. I was worried about it growing with the wind we had yesterday.
So sad human caused
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jun 16 2019 8:51 am

Heading up the trail over Reavis Saddle, towards the ranch. Heartbreaking!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

AK

Post by AK » Jun 16 2019 2:52 pm

@Sredfield
Yea it looks like we might lose the ranch. The fire is progressing down the trail/valley north towards the ranch. I hope they find the idiot(s) that started this and bankrupt and jail them!
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

00blackout
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Woodbury Fire Update

Post by 00blackout » Jun 16 2019 5:50 pm

Just got back from another Woodbury Fire meeting from Roosevelt. The news is not good, in fact I would say it is completely devastating.

To make a long meeting short I will get right to it. Currently 0% containment and over 700 personal working the fire. As of right now they have stopped the northern movement of the fire at highway 88 and the Tortilla TH area due to the back burning that has been done there. They are continuing to back burn moving west towards Tortilla Flat. They have placed a sprinkler system around Tortilla Flat to try and protect it once the fire gets there. Also the owner of Reavis Mountain School (forgot his name) spoke for a minute and he is working with a crew to clear brush around the school area. Now the devastating news. Due to the extreme steepness of the terrain in the majority of the fire area they are unable to get crews on the ground to fight it. They also are not able to use air support without a crew on the ground in the area, apparently they work together. With that said the plan right now is to unfortunately let it burn until it moves closer to 88 on the east side and north side and comes off the cliffs on the west side. They have planned points on the east side on where they can start fighting it and are waiting for it to burn it's way through Reavis Canyon, Campaign Creek , Fish Creek.

I have included the latest fire map. As you can see the fire has made it's way up Reavis Saddle and is closing in on the ranch. They advised that it took a couple days for it to move on the east side as the manzanita was so thick it did not want to burn originally, however it has dried out the past couple days and they expect the fire to start to accelerate through the Reavis area. I have circled the fire on the east side in pink coming up the saddle with the Ranch and Roger's Canyon Cliff Dwellings circled in green. After the meeting I spoke to the Roosevelt Ranger one on one and they are fully expecting the fire to take the Reavis ranch area including the orchards and are hoping the Rogers Canyon Cliff Dwellings survive the fire due to their height in the canyon.

On the West side, they are also expecting it to continue it's movement and you can see on the map today the fire has now moved into Barks Canyon and is making it's way down La Barge Canyon to Charlebois and is moving into Boulder Canyon (circled in pink). On the south side the fire is sitting on top of Buzzards Roost where they may drop some water on it to stop that piece of the fire. The remaining south side end has been cold for a couple days (black line).

They did say the fire will not be out until the monsoons arrive and they are predicting a later then normal start this season, looking like the end of July.

I think that's about all that I can remember. Like I said beyond devastating news as we could be potentially watching 75% or more of the Superstition Wilderness burn in this fire. Like a lot of people here the Superstition are more then just a wilderness to me and words absolutely can not express how I am currently feeling.
Attachments
64674707_10157280669084696_8874166641361944576_n.jpg

tibber

Post by tibber » Jun 16 2019 6:03 pm

This is just awful news but thanks for your thoughtful update, sad as it is. :cry: :cry: :cry:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

AK

Post by AK » Jun 16 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks for that update. Just unbelievable. Gutting news to hear that my favorite hiking area will soon be charred. Reavis will eventually recover but probably not fully in my lifetime.

Do they have leads on who started this?
Last edited by AK on Jun 16 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”