2020 Fire Season

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

2020 Fire Season

Post by outdoor_lover »

It's officially started. This area just can't seem to catch a break and stupid people are determined to take down what hasn't burned already. Quoted from Tonto NF's FB Page.

"WILDFIRE ALERT: The Whitlow Fire is burning in the Hewitt Station area north of Hwy 60. The fire is reported at approximately 50 acres, burning in grass and brush. 2 engines, 1 crew, and 3 aircraft units are on scene. Additional resources are responding. The fire is currently under investigation. Please avoid the Hewitt Station area to allow firefighters to safely access the incident and work towards containment. Updates will be posted throughout the day. Fire season is here, and everyone needs to be extremely careful with all risks of wildfire ignition. "
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Re: 2020 Fire Season

Post by toddak »

Stinknet weed has gone crazy in the north valley this year, afraid it could be a serious ladder fuel this summer
IMG_2864xx.jpeg
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@outdoor_lover We saw the start of it from Barks Canyon Wall today. On another note Peralta Trailhead is now open.
The_Dude
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude »

@toddak
Stinknet is rampant in the west valley as well. This one is becoming a big problem, and encroaching on native plants as well.
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

The Desert is also a sea of thigh high Foxtails. Can you say instant match?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
00blackout
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by 00blackout »

Just got info that it's up to 500 acres now and still going. They had a helo and one tanker dropping slurry on it before it got dark. Had 3 crews on it and 2 hot shot teams on the way in. It's burning south of the 357 and between the 172 and Whitlow Dam currently. They are calling in more crews to assist. Martin Ranch which is in that area is rounding up all it's cattle.
friendofThundergod

@00blackout So safe to say from the area another target practice/orv caused fire? Sigh
00blackout
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by 00blackout »

@friendofThundergod
In that area? Yup, more stupid ass people.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@friendofThundergod Lots of lightning strikes out here yesterday.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Post by Jim_H »

00blackout wrote: Apr 21 2020 9:25 pm Just got info that ....... Martin Ranch which is in that area is rounding up all it's cattle.
God speed. God speed.
Reaching new standards in excelence.
friendofThundergod

@chumley I am waiting for the FS to announce they are pushing the fire into the western Supes to save all the trailers in Queen Valley :?
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Yeah yeah more of the same. 2019-2020 is basically groundhog day. RIP Superstitions and such. The new normal.

So anyway, I was checking out Tonto's website and they say Peralta is still closed. But they don't mention 1st water anywhere.

But friendofThundergod says Peralta is now open. Huh.

Anyone know about 1st water by any chance? I find this community to be more helpful than the USFS themselves.
outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover »

@wildwesthikes
Someone mentioned in a triplog thread that the road was open at least all the way to the Horse Lot now. I guess they figure since it's starting to get warmer, less people will be out. I'm thinking they are wrong, and that the amount of rescues for heat related stress and dehydration will go up.
friendofThundergod

@wildwesthikes It was open, I thought odd too, but we parked at Th with about a dozen other vehicles I agree with Pam’s theory on the heat, maybe they figure the upcoming h 100 degree temps do enough in keeping the crowds down
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@outdoor_lover @friendofThundergod

Nice. I dunno. There are few willing to hike in those temps. I did an overnight out at Whiskey Spring last week of April 2019 when the high was exactly 100 on a Friday. It was my car and two others at Peralta and that was it. Seems like triple digits are the magic number required.

I had this theory that I'd be mostly alone in the Kanab Creek Wilderness this upcoming week to do an epic 8 day trip; with the bonus of no permits required. But with GCNP closed I'm thinking maybe some of the GC traffic will redirect over there. We'll see.
friendofThundergod

@wildwesthikes
Funny I thought about the same, I was committed to go until today actually, but I think I am going to do the Blue Range instead, I did a 65 mile backpack through Kanab a few years back with some HAZers, it was pretty awesome. I am going to wait now for Kanab, news feed just said Trump is opening the national parks, details to come, so I am going to hold out hope for a climbing trip into the canyon before it gets too hot now....

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ates-relax
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@friendofThundergod
Nice. Hope it goes well! Usually what gets to me on backpacking trips where solitude is the point, are those big guided groups like Sierra Club, REI, etc. Those have all been cancelled - I checked their websites to make sure, lol. I would also hope that statewide campfire restrictions helps cut down on crowded public lands. Some people refuse to camp or even backpack without a fire. Seems kind of a weird reason to me to not go - but I do know people like that.
herdbull
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ / Silver Cliff, CO

Post by herdbull »

1st water is open and has been for about 10 days.
herdbull
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ / Silver Cliff, CO

Post by herdbull »

I'm callin BS #fakenews about this fire. Just jumped on the Spyder and took a drive from AJ to Miami to fill up cause gas is $.40/gal cheaper :doh: . No sign of fire, smoke, personnel, trucks, helicopters...... :-k
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid »

@herdbull
Google "tonto national forest whitlow fire" and you'll see photos from the air over the fire... at least as of yesterday.

"Crews remained on the scene Tuesday night to build containment lines and extinguish hot spots; they will continue to do so Wednesday"
It's very possible there's nothing to see here and very likely no overt signs of the fire from the US 60 or possibly even FR 347.

So... just 'cuz you can't see it now doesn't mean it didn't happen.
CannondaleKid

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”