Sawtooth Fire

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Superstition, AZ
whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Here we go again...

Post by whereveriroam »

I saw an ugly orange glow to the east from where I live in AJ (Silly Mountain area) this evening. I called it in and drove out to the Peralta School to see if I could see the glow. Yes I did, looks to be down by the Peralta TH.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

whereveriroam wrote: May 30 2020 9:38 pm I saw an ugly orange glow to the east from where I live in AJ (Silly Mountain area) this evening. I called it in and drove out to the Peralta School to see if I could see the glow. Yes I did, looks to be down by the Peralta TH.
I guess I won't be hiking there when this is over, at least not for a while.
whereveriroam

Post by whereveriroam »

big_load wrote:I guess I won't be hiking there when this is over, at least not for a while.
Strange night weather wise here in AJ/Gold Canyon. Very monsoon like. impressive lightning show which most likely caused the fire, shifting strong winds and rain! According to Maricopa County Flood Control the local rain gauge measured .04" We'll see what the morning brings with resources to fire.
whereveriroam

Post by whereveriroam »

Very smokey this morning, can see the smoke rising from fire.
AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack »

I could smell the smoke while out on my morning walk. When I got home I called 911 to report the smell and was told that the fire is in the Woodbury area.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.
LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn »

Looks like it’s near Queen Valley? Very smoky while driving through Gold Canyon.
Attachments
8B240EBC-CC81-4C88-B56C-BBF2075DA303.jpeg
00blackout
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Sawtooth Fire

Post by 00blackout »

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/05/31/sa ... 7adFG8Sa80

Sawtooth Fire burning in the Superstitions at 2,000+ acres currently burning near Coffee Flat. Quarter Circle U Ranch is under full evac. More then likely lightning caused, we got hit pretty hard last night.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

The fire, so far, is being referred to as the Sawtooth Fire, but it's burning in and around the Reeds Water area of Coffee Flats. From my place on the east side of Apache Junction, I haven't seen flight activity or Forest Service activity heading in that direction.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/05/31/sa ... ld-canyon/
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.
Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray »

@AZLumberjack Surprised you’re still in the area. When are you headed to your cooler place?
Last edited by Sun_Ray on May 31 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!
wildwesthikes
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by wildwesthikes »

Sounds like mother nature wasn't content with the job the OHV guys started last year.
00blackout
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Sawtooth Fire

Post by 00blackout »

@AZLumberjack
Looking at flight tracker there are two tankers up flying out of Mesa Gateway.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

Sun_Ray wrote:When are you headed to your cooler place?
With all the quarantines, we decided to stay here in the valley.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

00blackout wrote:Looking at flight tracker there are two tankers up flying out of Mesa Gateway.
I was following the action on Flight Tracker and counted three tankers, one was the DC10 and the others were the Bombardier.
pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog »

And there go the western Supes. :(
Last edited by joebartels on May 31 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed per guidelines
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

According to Tonto NF, the fire was a lightning strike and it started 2 miles NE of the Peralta TH very close to a previous burn. Peralta Road is now closed where it turns to dirt.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
whereveriroam

Post by whereveriroam »

The fire glow from my place was much bigger tonight than last and closer. I bet this one will burn into July. Prevailing wind tends to come from the SW but today they seemed like they were from the SE.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

Dawn's early Light? Not really. This is an early morning shot of the Sawtooth Fire, presently burning out-of-control in the Superstition Mountain Wilderness Area. The fire started as a result of several lightning strikes in the Coffee Flat area more than 24 hours earlier.

All day yesterday, I observed tankers flying over my Apache Junction, AZ home en route to the active areas dropping Fire retardant to suppress the fires. So far the fires have consumed 2,500 acres and are zero percent contained. Winds, gusting to 25 mph have helped spread the fire in all directions.

Fire in the Sky by Jack Olson https://www.facebook.com/Images.in.the.Wilderness/
:o
Sawtooth Fire 06-01-20 (1).jpg
wildwesthikes
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by wildwesthikes »

Yikes it's going to be rough seeing the aftermath.
I was real close to doing an overnight trip starting Saturday evening from peralta up to LaBarge via Whiskey Spring and back early before the heat. Would have been a front row seat to the blaze... or worse! :scared:
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

@wildwesthikes
Peralta Road is closed due to the fire. Road blocks are where the blacktop ends.
pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog »

It's closing in on Weavers Needle if not there already. Major sadness. :(

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”