Bighorn Fire

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Bighorn Fire

Post by SpiderLegs »

Pulled out of my driveway and noticed the orange glow in the pre-dawn hour coming from Pusch Ridge. Then drove down the block and noticed the same glow coming from the Tortolita's.

The fire in the Pusch Ridge Wilderness is below Bighorn Peak and doesn't appear to be hitting Pusch Peak or the Cleaver yet. Luckily it's not windy this morning or we could have a huge mess on our hands.

Over in the Tortolita's as best as I can figure it looks like the fire is at the very end of the Wild Burro trail near where it intersects with the Ridgeline trail.

Last news report I saw was that the Pusch Ridge fire is being monitored and can't be accessed due to the terrain. Our local fire crews are all over in the Tortolita's working on it.

--------
2020-06-29 Changed Subject from Two Fires In NW Tucson to Bighorn Fire since the other was contained long ago and did not affect hiking much if any.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6741/
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
cactuscat

Re: Two Fires In NW Tucson

Post by cactuscat »

Evacuations under way for Catalina Foothills
https://www.facebook.com/68724509471744 ... 503587848/
Where is the "dislike" button?
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@cactuscat
Official Pima County
@pimaarizona
The Evacuation Order issued by the County Sheriff's Department in coordination with the Coronado National Forest is for the purposes of a back burn that will be conducted in the area to protect property and residents in the area.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

SpiderLegs wrote: Jun 11 2020 5:54 am It's getting serious now, the FS and the PCSD just alerted all residents up in the foothills from Oracle to Alvernon and north of Ina to get ready to evacuate.
Wow, one of Mrs. big_load's colleagues lives in that area. She hasn't mentioned it yet, but probably will soon.
azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather »

@cactuscat
They are also asking everyone east of Oracle Road, from Catalina SP all the way down to Magee, to voluntarily leave now, according to the Coronado NF Facebook page. Here is the current EVACUATION MAP: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/AZCNF/2 ... 0638-0.pdf

Here is the latest Pusch Wilderness TRAIL CLOSURE MAP: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/AZCNF/2 ... 2619-0.pdf

NIFC reports Bighorn fire now over 5,000 acres, 10% contained, as of 6/11, 9am: https://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/predictive/i ... RX_Map.htm
No update yet on Tortolita, still showing 3,300 acres, 60% contained (6/10 am report).
Last edited by azdesertfather on Jun 11 2020 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
chumley

Post by chumley »

PCSO 12:05pm 6/11/20
As part of the Evacuation Process, the area of the Catalina Foothills between Alvernon Way and Sabino Canyon Rd., North of Skyline Dr. is now in the "SET - Be Alert" stage.
Residents should consider voluntarily relocating outside the affected area with family/friends.
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

Looks like my brother who works for PCSD will be busy this afternoon knocking on doors. It's a big area they need to evacuate.
chumley

Post by chumley »

azdesertfather wrote: Here is the current EVACUATION MAP: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/AZCNF/2 ... 0638-0.pdf
This is vastly more useful than the dreadful attempts at maps that PCSD is posting. Thank you for sharing.
Last edited by chumley on Jun 11 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather »

@chumley
Link already bad, but here's the new one https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/AZCNF/2 ... 0638-0.pdf
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

outdoor_lover wrote: Jun 06 2020 12:00 pm Did the Tucson area get Lightning yesterday? If not, then most likely Friday Night Campers.
Both have now been categorized as lightning caused fires.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather »

Good news ... Tortolita fire is out! 100% contained after 3,140 acres burned.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6738/
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

I see no smoke in this morning's webcam image of the Catalinas. The bighorn fire will be soon, too.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

Jim_H wrote: Jun 12 2020 7:22 am I see no smoke in this morning's webcam image of the Catalinas. The bighorn fire will be soon, too.
It's heading back towards Catalina State Park right now. The incident map shows a few red dots within the park boundary as of 5 minutes ago.
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

I was watching the fire as I was driving down to the hardware store a few minutes ago. CSP is definitely on fire, big plumes of smoke coming from the park. Montrose Canyon is the other place where the action is.

One of the helicopters is flying low over my house on a regular basis, it must be getting water from the golf course pond down the street.
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

Fire appears to be tearing through CSP right now and the county just ordered an evacuation for residents north of the park within the past 30 minutes.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@SpiderLegs
Damn. 😥
Thanks for the updates!
Where is the "dislike" button?
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

@SpiderLegs
Yeah, whoah, was I wrong.

Now, I predict the fire to run back to the Wilderness of Rock, and crest up on Mount Lemmon. We'll see.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
Mountain_Rat

Post by Mountain_Rat »

@Jim_H
My thought as well. Montrose is a fuel filled intersect that could easily step into upper Romero and over the saddle into Esperero. I think it's been slowed by wind patterns so far. If it gets past the 5 mile mark of Romero, saving Sutherland Ridge will be one hell of a fight.
Matt
Pivo

Post by Pivo »

Yesterday at about 11 PM
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

big_load wrote: Jun 11 2020 11:53 am
SpiderLegs wrote: Jun 11 2020 5:54 am It's getting serious now, the FS and the PCSD just alerted all residents up in the foothills from Oracle to Alvernon and north of Ina to get ready to evacuate.
Wow, one of Mrs. big_load's colleagues lives in that area. She hasn't mentioned it yet, but probably will soon.
At least Mrs. big_load's buddy is OK so far. She checked in today.
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

Looks like the fire has shifted back and is heading straight up Romero Canyon tonight. The residents of Summerhaven have been alerted to be ready to bug out.

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”